Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Denatured Alcohol

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 03:14 PM
mtfenn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Denatured Alcohol

I've read in a couple of places that you can use denatured alcohol (ethanol with stuff added to it) to clean up my savage after racing. I've always stuck to taking it down to screws and washing indibividual parts with water.

Is using alchohol a good idea, and more importantly is there a serious enough difference between pure ethanol and denatured alcohol. I have access to a lot of ethanol, but its 98%. Will that damage parts?

Also, does anyone have any good links or ideas about winterizing my savage. Winter is coming up soon, and I'd like to keep running it in the cold and wet snow. I've heard wrapping the head in foil, but any other good tricks?

thanks
Old 09-27-2006, 03:27 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Denatured Alcohol

Put your receive in a balloon to keep it from getting wet.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:40 PM
mtfenn

what about the servos? can they get wet?
Old 09-27-2006, 04:46 PM
bennyblanco

you can seal the servos with rtv !
Old 09-27-2006, 05:37 PM
Kanza

A good idea is to just pull the radio box entirely. Remove the three screw for the linkages (steering, throttle/brake, and reverse), then the four screws of the sides of the chasis, and finally the two screws holding the box to the steering uprights. Once you do that, you can pull out the box and spray down the rest of the truck.

This also allows you to clean out the area under the box more effectively.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:42 PM
savagejb

I use 2 to 1 denatured alcohol to simple green to clean up my cars. Works great, and cheaper than the cleaners on the market.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:07 PM
cheiro

Just use the 98% enthanol on the out side for dirt and oil. If you decide to strip down the engine and clean it make sure you re-oil other wise it'll rust quick. Servos are OK just don't spray directly at then rather just wipe down.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:30 PM
mtfenn

thanks!
Old 09-28-2006, 09:59 PM
JayC1968
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: mtfenn

I've read in a couple of places that you can use denatured alcohol (ethanol with stuff added to it) to clean up my savage after racing. I've always stuck to taking it down to screws and washing indibividual parts with water.

Is using alchohol a good idea, and more importantly is there a serious enough difference between pure ethanol and denatured alcohol. I have access to a lot of ethanol, but its 98%. Will that damage parts?

Also, does anyone have any good links or ideas about winterizing my savage. Winter is coming up soon, and I'd like to keep running it in the cold and wet snow. I've heard wrapping the head in foil, but any other good tricks?

thanks
You can use Acrylic Plastic to keep your servo's and RX circut boards from getting wet...
Here's a [link=http://www.aedwis.com/gcchemicals.html]LINK[/link]
When using this product you have to REMOVE the housings and spray it DIRECTLY to the circut boards, being sure to cover it entirely including the solder connections........ Look for the $4.33 spray on the site......

EVEN when using this........ In no way means that you are completely safe from shorting out.