Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

GP Giant Stick or other

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 09:39 PM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GP Giant Stick or other

I am trying to get my first giant scale plane. I have a US 41 gas and I'm looking for a simple plane to start with just to have some fun and get used to the gas engine setup. I love to build and plan to build a Spacewalker for this engine eventually but right now I would like something that I can get in the air quickly and fairly cheaply. I guess I am looking for an ARF. Does anyone have any experience with the Giant Big Stick from Great Planes? I am particularly interested in any info about this combination. I have also looked at the Ryan's Rebel that came out in RCM a few years ago. He recommends nothing bigger than a G38. I know that a G38 is probably more powerful than the US 41 but I don't know what the basis for that limitation is. Weight, power, physical size, what? What do you all think?

Brian
Old 10-03-2006, 09:24 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GP Giant Stick or other

Brian, I have seen a 40cc gas engine put on a H9 Ultra Stick, and it flew well. You may have to shorten the nose a little to balance the plane properly but it should work well.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:09 PM
Brian Smith
My Feedback: (117)

I have two GP Big Sticks.. One has a G38.. It is a great combo as I'm sure your US 41 would be.. Go for it.. My 2 Cents..Brian
ORIGINAL: fireman7875

I am trying to get my first giant scale plane. I have a US 41 gas and I'm looking for a simple plane to start with just to have some fun and get used to the gas engine setup. I love to build and plan to build a Spacewalker for this engine eventually but right now I would like something that I can get in the air quickly and fairly cheaply. I guess I am looking for an ARF. Does anyone have any experience with the Giant Big Stick from Great Planes? I am particularly interested in any info about this combination. I have also looked at the Ryan's Rebel that came out in RCM a few years ago. He recommends nothing bigger than a G38. I know that a G38 is probably more powerful than the US 41 but I don't know what the basis for that limitation is. Weight, power, physical size, what? What do you all think?

Brian
Old 10-06-2006, 08:56 PM
fireman7875
My Feedback: (7)

Thanks for the advice, guys. I think I will do it. I really like the idea of flying all day on 3 bucks worth of fuel!
Old 10-06-2006, 10:41 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In all the years I've flown sticks, along with the hundreds of them in all sizes I've seen flown, I have yet to see one fly poorly
Old 10-07-2006, 06:42 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: fireman7875

Thanks for the advice, guys. I think I will do it. I really like the idea of flying all day on 3 bucks worth of fuel!

ALL DAY!!!!! If you can burn a gallon of gas in a 41cc model… you have accomplished something.

Just any FYI… I have a 120 wild stick with a 25cc Toro conversion and I only have an 8oz fuel tank in it. I can fly around for over 15 minutes on that. A gallon could fly it for 4 hours non-stop. (that’s a lot of flying)

Like one of the other guys said… you will probably have to cut the nose down to get it to balance. I took off 2.5” from mine, and I still had to add 6oz to the tail. But… sticks always fly well. They can be thrown around, but they have very predictable stall characteristics.

And the best part is… your model won’t be covered in oil like a glow model would be after a days flying.

Just do it!!!!

Here's a crappy phone pic of mine.