Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

33% and 42% Weeks Solution?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

33% and 42% Weeks Solution?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 07:44 PM
Lowlevldevl
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 33% and 42% Weeks Solution?

Has anyone built or flown one of these great looking birds? I am talking about the 33% and 42% scale Weeks Solution Biplanes that are on www.simodels.com for anyone who needs clarification. Just curious if they are a difficult build, and if they are worth it performance wise.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:14 PM
Mendes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm building the 42% right now, it has been an on and off project. I have built many other planes while still working on this one. It is not really a difficult plane to build. Once you start it, the direction of the build becomes clearer. Things start to fall into place once the basic structure is there.

I bought the short kit, and would recommend it. It is really nice, great wood, clean cuts. The picture CD that he has is really helpful too, it gives you a good idea where to start from.

What kind of building experience do you have?

Have you e-mailed Tom? He will be happy to talk to you about it I'm sure.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:44 PM
OnTheEdge

While I haven't built one of these I have seen a few fly. The best way to describe it is it's an incredible flying plane and it also doesn't fly like a biplane. Very smooth and tracks very well. The wing loading is very light and the plane lands very slow.....again not like a biplane. I saw the 43% plane pull out of the bottom of a knife-edge loop at idle, no power needed to push the tail through.

Best of luck..........Mark
Old 01-17-2003, 12:05 AM
Lowlevldevl

Mendes:

Well, I actually have more building experience than I do R/C flight experience. I have built several smaller kits for other people, and am presently building an older Midwest "Beer Cat" biplane kit. I guess all in all I have built 8 kits and helped with probably 10 more. Plus, I do quite a bit of woodworking projects. I have also worked on a couple of homebuilt aircraft (a Glasair 3 RG and a Midget Mustang). But as far as model aircraft go, I have never taken on anything as big as the Weeks. I am just starting to learn how to fly R/C, so I am in no way ready to fly a kit like this, but am thinking strongly about getting one to start on. Ever since I decided to get into R/C flying, one of my goals has been to build and fly a giant scale biplane. The Weeks Solution really catches my eye, because it is one you dont see everyday, unlike the Ultimate or Pitts. I figure by the time I get it finished, I can handle flying it. Like you, it would probably be an on again off again project. I was considering the Short kit, also. How far along are you on yours?
Old 01-17-2003, 12:27 AM
Mendes

It sounds like you would be able to handle building it for sure.

I've got my fuselage more or less done, it's sitting in the basement covered in plastic right now. I was hoping to finish it before spring time but I am just starting a Byron Christen Eagle and still working on a Top-Flite Cessna, so I won't have alot of time to work on it in the near future.

It is a unique plane, that is why I chose it too. Are you looking at the 33 or 42%?
Old 01-17-2003, 12:35 AM
Lowlevldevl

I am leaning towards the 42% version. I figure if I am going to put that much time and effort into one, why not go all the way?
Old 01-17-2003, 12:44 AM
Mendes

That's exactly what made me decide to go with the 42%. But I also knew that I would need a stepping stone before flying that beast. So I've got a 1/3 GP Pitts and the Byron Eagle to play with before I fly the Weeks.

The one downside is that the cost goes up.....way up.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:51 AM
Lowlevldevl

that is pretty much the direction I am going in. I am planning on building the GP Pitts this spring, and getting plenty of experience with it while I am building the Weeks. Did you buy all the pre made parts for yours also, like the gear, cabane struts, etc.?
Old 01-17-2003, 01:47 PM
Lowlevldevl

Mendes:

Also, I forgot to ask you what engine you were thinking of for yours.
Old 01-17-2003, 02:17 PM
Mendes

I bought the complete hardware package also. It is worth the expense, the cabanes are really nice and the landing gear is too. I am planning on using a ZDZ 120 on mine. Tom originally flew his with a Quadra 100XL, and competed in the IMAC sportsman category with it. He says it flew with authority, so I think the 120 will be a good choice. The ZDZ 160 is still a possibility though, if I can find one with low time I will buy it.
Old 01-17-2003, 02:41 PM
Lowlevldevl

Great, thanks for all the info. I sent an E-mail off to Tom, but havent gotten a reply yet. Should hear from him today. The Weeks should fly really well with the ZDZ 120. One more quick question, what all is included in the hardware package? Just trying to get an idea of what all I should order, and what all I will be lacking after I do. Thanks for all your help!
Old 01-17-2003, 02:49 PM
Mendes

The hardware package gives you:

Plans
Landing Gear
Cabanes
Canopy
CD with construction pictures.

He will also give you a list of wood needed to complete the kit so that you're not guessing what you need to finish.

Tom is a pretty busy guy so don't worry if he doesn't reply to his e-mail instantly.
Old 01-17-2003, 02:58 PM
Lowlevldevl

Okay, thanks! By the way, I checked out your homepage. You've got some great looking aircraft there! If you dont mind, when I get started on this project, I might check in with you for some advice once in a while since you are already a ways along on the construction phase.
Old 01-17-2003, 03:05 PM
Mendes

Thanks! Feel free to send me an e-mail anytime and be sure to send me some pictures when you get it done, I would love to see it.