Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Difference between BCMA and Brillelli

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Difference between BCMA and Brillelli

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 07:09 PM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Difference between BCMA and Brillelli

Hi guys,

I am not looking start an us vs them thing, but I am new to gas and I just want to know how much difference there is between the engines, let's say the 26cc for each of these companies. I know both have great support. I know both are based on the SPE 26 and they have what appears to be the same Zama carb. One has the single prop nut, the other has the six bolts. So for a newbie to gas, who doesn't see the nuances between them, can you objectively identify the differences in specs and performance? Thanks kindly! Jon
Old 10-16-2006, 08:04 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Difference between BCMA and Brillelli

The big difference is the ignition.. Brillelli uses a CH ignition and a different prop hub.

I dont know much about BCMA ignitions but I do know the CH is widely considered one of the top ignitions out there.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:53 AM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

I don't think either of these engine manufacturers have been out too long...so you may have a tough time finding someone who has owned both and could comment on both.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:21 PM
Flyer Freq

I am no expert on both companies, but I have done my own fair share of reading about them. One important thing to remember is that these company owners are friends and will stick up for each other, no matter what. It is good to know that there are "gentleman" in business these days. I own the BCMA 40, just so you understand my perspective. I believe that Brillelli balances the crankshaft, but I don't know that BCMA doesn't. I don't know how much impact this has on performance, but my BCMA engine runs very smoothley. I have no doubt the Brillelli does, as well. The BCMA engine has an auto advance ignition, which should give a smoother throttle response than the fixed timing C&H ignition, used by Brillelli. I have heard many people say that fixed timing works just fine on anything under 50CC. Above that, it gets more criticle. You will notice, for example, that Brisson uses linkages on their engines with C&H ignitions, to turn a ring, to change the timing through changes in throttle.

I think that my brief explanation kind of shows that it is "6 of one , and a half dozen of the other". One feather in the cap of Brillelli, is that they have their own machine shop and can custom make parts for you.

Customers of both companies get to know the owners as friends, and will be very loyal to them. All I can say is that we have a good thing going, with both Adam and Scott. I have talked to Adam on a couple occasions, and enjoyed the conversations. With all I have heard of Scott, I almost want to buy something from him, just to get to know him. How is that for staying on the fence???

I know there are others out there with more information. Please feel free to correct me if I have anything wrong. I won't take it personally!!!

Andy
Old 10-17-2006, 01:35 PM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

Brillelli uses the Roy Sholl SS ignition in their 60....is that an auto advance ignition or does it have any known issues?
Old 10-17-2006, 01:45 PM
Scott Ellingson
My Feedback: (146)

The Roy Sholl EI is a full 26deg of advance.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:26 PM
maukaonyx

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the input so far! I have not used a multibolt prop nut like that on the BCMA. Does it weaken the props by drilling holes into the props to mount them? Jon
Old 10-17-2006, 06:49 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maukaonyx,

I have had the Brillelli 25cc, 26cc, and the 40cc and they are great engines. When I first got into gas I looked at both Brillelli and BCMA and it was a toss up. I went with Brillelli and I'll stick with Brillelli. I've read good things about BCMA but you know the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I'm looking forward to getting the Brillelli 46cc later on.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:33 PM
Flyer Freq

ORIGINAL: maukaonyx

Thanks for the input so far! I have not used a multibolt prop nut like that on the BCMA. Does it weaken the props by drilling holes into the props to mount them? Jon
You don't have to use the multibolt feature on the BCMA. I am only using the center bolt. If you feel that your prop is slipping, you can use two or more of the outer bolts, as well. My 40CC, so far, works well with only the center bolt.

Andy
Old 10-18-2006, 12:23 AM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

doesn't seem to be that much of a difference between the two I have a bcma 26 nice little engine Adam is a great guy. have talked to Scott he is currently making a custom muffler for me they are both honest straight forward dudes willing to answer questions and put out a solid product without all the hype here is a photo of my 26 temped in my 60 size P-47
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61145.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	543106  
Old 10-18-2006, 05:23 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

---------------

I have just glanced at my BCMAE 26cc SPE conversion, but it looks as though you can still use it with a single central bolt for retaining the prop. You are not forced to use multiple bolts, but you can if you wish.

If I'm wrong, please jump in and set me straight.
Old 10-18-2006, 06:48 AM
Flyer Freq

ORIGINAL: Artisan

---------------

I have just glanced at my BCMAE 26cc SPE conversion, but it looks as though you can still use it with a single central bolt for retaining the prop. You are not forced to use multiple bolts, but you can if you wish.

If I'm wrong, please jump in and set me straight.
You are correct!

Andy