Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Questions on Radios & Servos

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 04:54 AM
amwhite2005

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions on Radios & Servos

Hi all

I have a few questions about radios and servos. I am going to buy the Spektrum DX3.0.

1. Do the servos that come with the DX3.0 (they are the same as the DX3 I think) fit in the savage un-modified?
2. Does the reciever have a built in failsafe for low battery/signal range?
3. How much torque does the Race servo put out and at what speed?

I was also planning to get the Hitec HS-985MG Coreless as my stering servo. Is this a good servo for the savage, as it fits in my budget nicely. 2nd, does it fit in the savage, again, with no modification?

I am planning to put the Hitec as my stering servo in my new X SS, with the JR Standard servo that comes with the DX3.0 as the throttle/brake. I will then put the race servo that comes with the DX3.0 in the old savage X Stering, and put the SF-2 from X stering to X Trottle. Is this a good plan?

Thanks
Old 10-29-2006, 07:49 AM
Revo Eater

Default RE: Questions on Radios & Servos

The DX3.0 servos will fit fine. But you probably won't want to use either of them for steering a monster truck. They would make good throttle/brake servos. The Rx comes with a built in failsafe, so no worrys there. The Hi-tech 985 will work great as a steering servo. And, congratulations on buying the best radio on the market. I have a DX2 and it has been flawless at the track. I almost blamed it for some glitching but then realized my hump pack was the culprit.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:56 AM
SAVAGEJIM

1: Since the Spektrum servos are JR servos for ground use, they are direct drop in servors for the Savage or any other car or truck for that matter. You can screw them in and they will not require any modifications at all. The SS kit you have will have spacers and such it you need to do minor adjustments (servo height for ezample) come with the batt boz.

2: Spektrum does have a built-in failsafe in the receiver. Just follow the instructions to program the failsave to where you want the default failsafe servo positions to be (full brake and wheeles straight forward for ezample). A warning about the fail safe: It will not work if your reciver battery dies on you. You will see the failsafe kick in if your radio dies however.

3: If the race sdervo you are refering to the higher toruqe servo that comes with your DZ3 radio set? If so, I believe that servo produces less tham 100oz-in (maybe 90oz-in?). Getting a Hitec servo like you want to do is a better option to this JR servo. If you put on a reverse module, you could use the JR servo to actuate your reverse gear.

Get HS 985MG servo like you want. It is plenty powerful and even on the faster side to turn the Savage's big wheels. I guess for 50GBP, that is a good deal. What is that in US dollars? $80? If you can come up with $100USD (I guess about 65GBP), I would highly suggest you get the HS 5995TG (the sister servo, 5955TG is about $15 to $20USD more). These servos produce 333oz-in and turn 60degrees in .15sec!
WARNING: the HS 5995TG is a robot servo with a 180degree turning radius! Be sure to check your DZ3 radio manual and make sure it has end point adjustments! You will have to turn the EPA down to 50% on the left AND right turning radii.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:59 AM
Chronic

I agree, the servos aren't really up for anything but throttle/brake or reverse duty, if you run reverse. They actually have similar specs to the stock RTR servos, they are just better quality. They are made by JR. I'm using the Z590("high torque") as the throttle/brake servo in two of my trucks right now, and my LST2 has two of them for the steering(stock)... it's a pretty good budget servo.

The Hitec 985 seems like it would be a good servo for the Savage. It equals the torque seen from the LST and Revo RTR dual servo setups, but it's quicker with it's .13s sweep time. It should perform nicely for everything. Just don't go crazy adding a bunch of weight to the truck or huge tires and it will be great.

edit: SAVAGEJIM, did you ever check into that thing about losing signal resolution as you reduce the EPA? I've heard that from several people, and the 5995 requires you to cut it in half... I don't personally know much about that stuff and I can't find alot of info about it. Makes sense though.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:33 AM
SAVAGEJIM

Not really, I've done a seaarch on this site and found few hits on reduced 5995 turning times when reducing the EPA. I'm not really to concerened about teh increased time to turn since I onlt bash. I'm happy if the servos still turns at .20sec (I think it's still a little faster tham .20sec since ther servo turns instantaneously; but then, it probaly turn sthe wheels instantly because of the high torque output).
Old 10-29-2006, 11:14 AM
amwhite2005

OK so the servos it comes with arn't much use, and the Hitec ones is good, but I dont think I can quite afford the 5995 one. About the failsafe, should I put on a separtate one to protect me from low battery in the reciever?

Chronic, have you found a quote for shipping to the UK yet, I PM you about a week ago but it doesn't seem to have got through. Would be great as the mesh is getting worse. Thanks.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:21 PM
Chronic

I haven't gotten a quote yet. I asked the secretary at work to get me one and then I forgot to follow up on it. I'm really sorry, and I appreciate you still showing interest after I let you down like that. I'll find out Monday and let you know.

You might also want to look at the Innovative RC brand TVPs since they are on that side of the pond, and shipping costs will be much better. I'll get that quote and then you can compare them better.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:50 PM
amwhite2005

The reason I ask you is that you gave me such a good quote on the TVPs themselves, postage may be high but it would equal the cost of Innovative RC. And the X roll cage fits yours. Dont worry about the slow time, I dont have enough money yet...(I'm only 14, so income is slow...)
Old 10-29-2006, 02:01 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

The DX3 is a good radio the only problem is if you need any part for it like I need the plastic protective lens that goes over the display screen you have to send the radio in, as they will not sell you part. So if you loose or break the battery cover, antenna, steering wheel you have to send it in. I can replace the lens with out taking it apart. The shipping as well as paying them to pop the lens of and back on will be a good 5 times or better then what the part cost. All so being with out the radio. Good radio just poor customer service on replacement parts.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:28 PM
amwhite2005

So your saying I should keep my HPI Radio incase that happens to me?
Old 10-29-2006, 04:27 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

No I was just letting you know my experience as what you do is up to you. Most of the big radio manufactures will be coming out with the 2.4GHz technology with in the next couple of months some all ready have.