Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

WHat Do You Guys Think Of This...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 04:59 PM
DavidKirkbride

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHat Do You Guys Think Of This...

well my mind was set on the savage x ss due to the diffs and stuff and the tuned pipe but this just popped on ebay and i need an expert opinion it has upgraded alu diffs and flywheel .30 engine and some other nifty upgrades

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HPI-Savage-X-w...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10-30-2006, 05:26 PM
rcsavager

Default RE: WHat Do You Guys Think Of This...

Doesn't even look driven. Not a scratch anywhere on it. Guy has some decent feedback and I feel for him if his neighbors are really flipping out. Other than that I have no idea what a pound converts to in USD but the truck looks nice enough.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:59 PM
rcnitrohead

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah if its a decent price then I would say go for it. Although it may have some issues as he does state and as Savafe X's commonly do. Also be carefull when buying used engines. Ive bought 2 already that turned out to be duds[:@]
Old 10-30-2006, 06:31 PM
Surfrider

Depends how much you can get your X SS kit for I suppose.

Even with the buy it now price equates to about $540 USD. It looks in decent shape, but I would be a little iffy on spending that kind of money on a used truck. That said, considering the mods it isnt a bad price assuming the kit is in good shape. Best of luck whatever you choose!
Old 10-30-2006, 07:43 PM
DaveG55

I gotta admit, it looks pretty good. It's not perfect though - The roll bar, body mounts, fuel tank, and bumpers are all scratched up. The guy has spent a ton of money on it though. Without doing the math I cannot say if it's a good deal or not. If you're really intrested in it try to add up the cost of the truck and all the upgrades he has listed and divide the total by two. That will give you a decent idea of what it's worth.
My instinct is that $550 for the truck and $50 for shipping is a bit steep...
Did anyone else notice that the rx charger is from a Revo? Thought that bit was funny...
Old 10-31-2006, 05:19 AM
Coxwaan

the X SS works out to be $625 USD. or £329. thats just the kit...
Old 10-31-2006, 10:55 AM
Surfrider

Ouch... I remember why I went back to the states after living in London for 5 years! =)

I built a 500hp Turbo Supra over there and it cost a bloody fortune for local vendors' parts. I ended up shipping in about 80% of the build parts from the US.

Back to topic... considering those prices, the Ebay deal isnt too bad. If at all possible, it would be great to see / hear it running before you buy though. IF it is in good shape, its certainly the better deal - but you could also be buying into other people's problems and spend considerably more money fixing it if it has engine / transmission problems.

I guess it comes down to how trusting you are of the guy. He does have a great eBay feedback, in his defence though.

Good luck!
Old 10-31-2006, 12:44 PM
lonewolf4006

I'm not sure why this guy said the savage didnt have enough power (so he changed the engine). A properly tuned savage has enough power to pull rolling wheelies, even with a two speed tranny. Yeah the upgrades are nice but with the scratched parts and the revo parts.....just not sure about this one. You can buy a brand new RTR savage X for $500.00. Good Luck.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:49 PM
amwhite2005

It looks like a good deal to me. It is only a little cheaper than the X SS, and it has loads of upgrades. The STS .30 alone is worth it if it runs good, ask the guy if he can give you a video of it running.