Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

DSM range problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 08:57 PM
haasjj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DSM range problems

I have a JR-R1 radio that I put a Spektrum DSM into. After I first had it installed I had Range problems, I sent it to Horizon for repair and they replaced the DSM unit. Everything was Ok for a while. I bought a new truck and new reciever for the truck, and now I am having range issues again, I get mabye 150ft away and lose signal. Is anyone else having the same problems or did I just get some lemons??? Im sure I'll be sending the reciever in for service or replacement It just sucks to have to wait 2- 3 weeks to get them back from Horizon.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:52 AM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: DSM range problems

My Spektrum has worked great and I do not have a problem with it but I do have problem with the fact if you need a part for it you have to send the radio and let them replace it even if it is a pop of pop on part. I got something on the protective lens that cover the display screen so I emailed them how much the lens cost. They said the only way I can get it is send the radio in and let them replace it. The shipping there and back would cost more then the part much less what they would want to charge me to replace it that takes all of a couple of minutes if that as well as being with out my radio which I race just about every weekend. There are many big radio manufactures coming out with the same technology in the next couple of months.

I have heard many horror stories about Horizon Hobby.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:24 PM
Nitro_Moe

I was just about to post a thread about this problem,,,

I recently bought and Airtronics M11 with the Spektrum Pro System (they were offered as a package). First i recieved the package without the original M11 radio antenna. I was told that the antenna on the Spektrum Module was more than enough (estimated range= 3000ft)... Ya Right [:@]
Old 11-02-2006, 03:27 PM
Nitro_Moe

I started using the radio today at the track and just after doing 2 laps i noticed the out-of-range issue that Jared mentioned above. Lucky for me, the system has an automatic failsafe system built in. Imagine a brand new MTX-4 on its first run running away with the use of a brand new M11 and Spektrum Pro System..???
So I borrowed my friend's antenna and installed it in its original position along with the Spektrum antenna. I think that solved the problem. The communication between the radio and the car was fine for the rest of the day.

Has anyone tried this before or can anyone help us out on this issue..?? Is it the radio or the Spektrum that is defected?? Or have i done something wrong during installation or binding..??
Old 11-03-2006, 12:49 AM
haasjj

ORIGINAL: Nitro_Moe

So I borrowed my friend's antenna and installed it in its original position along with the Spektrum antenna. I think that solved the problem. The communication between the radio and the car was fine for the rest of the day.

Has anyone tried this before or can anyone help us out on this issue..?? Is it the radio or the Spektrum that is defected?? Or have i done something wrong during installation or binding..??
Which antenna are you refering to, if you're talking about the fm antenna on your M11 it should not make a difference when you are using a Spektrum module, because the Spectrum module does not route any output thru the radio, thats why it has its own antenna.

As I wrote above I had problems with my module the first time, sent it in to Horizon and it has worked great until I got this new reciever.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:09 AM
Nitro_Moe

Do you think I should contact the retailer or Spektrum directly..??

Have there been any solid reports on such problems?? I think i read a test article for the M11 with Spektrum Pro a few months ago in a magazine and it said something about an old version which caused a few delays. I think It also said that Spektrum fixed the problem on all their newer versions of the Spektrum Pro Systems.. I'll try to dig out the magazine and post the article or a link to it if it's still available.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:07 PM
46u

Have you checked out this page?
http://www.spektrumrc.com/Articles/HobbyWire.aspx
I all so want to say they sent me a lens for my radio and I am very pleased with DX3.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:12 PM
Nitro_Moe

Thanks 46u for this great heads ups info.. I will definitely contact Spektrum although that my use is limited to outdoor tracks rather than carpet like it's mentioned in the report. Still, it gives me enough reason to contact them and enough for Spektrum to further their research on the DSM technology.
Old 11-12-2006, 10:55 PM
46u

Did you check out the part in the web site I posted above about shout down problems do to the receiver antenna which the list a fix for it? With my bad eyes I have only gotten about 300 feet away and I have not had a problem with my DX3. Matter of fact it has been much better then my Airtronics FM was. Please keep us posted on what you find out.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:16 AM
Nitro_Moe

I'll defenitely check it out, try it, and let you know what happens.

Thanks..