Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

DORNIER DO 335 DON SMITH PLANS HELP !!!

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

DORNIER DO 335 DON SMITH PLANS HELP !!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 03:38 PM
fpc777
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DORNIER DO 335 DON SMITH PLANS HELP !!!

I AM BUILDING A DORNIER 335 99 IN. FROM DON SMITHS PLANS. THE PLANS ARE VERY VAGUE ON A LOT OF THINGS. IS THERE ANYONE THAT HAS BUILT THIS PLANE THAT COULD HELP WITH THE BUILD UP OF THE REAR TAIL ACCEMBLEY AND OTHER QUESTION I MIGHT HAVE.

THANKS IN ADVANCE

CLUELESS
Old 10-02-2006, 12:51 AM
747FULLSCALE
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: DORNIER DO 335 DON SMITH PLANS HELP !!!

check out www.engelmt.de

747FULLSCALE
Old 10-02-2006, 01:23 AM
747FULLSCALE

ORIGINAL: 747FULLSCALE

Clueless:

So far I have a set of Don Smith plans, the PCK wood kit, Century Jet retracts, Custom made Glennis scale wheels and a ZDZ 80 for the front. Several years ago I spoke to Don smith about the rear engine. His suggestion at the time was to put a Q-100 on front and a free wheeling prop on the rear, or put a brushless elec motor on the rear. Needless to say I was a little disappointed....

My plans from DS show a 3W-28 for the rear with a 4 inch prop extention. Several years ago at a Toledo show Sierra told me that they make the 4 inch prop extention. You can order a 3W-28 from the factory with a reverse crank so you can use a normal (not pusher) prop. Talking with Aircraft International, they were very leery of that setup...

It seems up till now everyone that makes a DO-335 kit "skips over" the rear engine setup. I feel having it done correctly is the whole idea of having such a unique aircraft.

Type in " DO-335 Ultimate GS kit" and then type in "DO-335" and skip down to post 23 thru 26.... (on forum search)

You will find a DO-335 built correctly with a G-45 mounted midship and a shaft drive. You can buy the shaft drive as an option. I'm going to use it in the Don Smith DO-335 I'm having built...

747FULLSCALE
Old 10-07-2006, 04:12 PM
747FULLSCALE

It seems that a 3W-75 or ZDZ80 would be the minimum engine up front, and then use the G-45 with the shaft drive on the rear. Make sure the rear intake scoop hasn't any restrictions with the exit holes cut in the rear fiberglass cowling for optimum cooling.

747FULLSCALE
Old 11-17-2006, 11:23 PM
geebeed

Pat McCurry built the 335 in a scale just a bit larger than the Don Smith plans he used a pair of big Moki's. Pats plane is were Don's plans came from.

Al