Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

*Giant Scale Control Horn Setup*

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

*Giant Scale Control Horn Setup*

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 06:23 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default *Giant Scale Control Horn Setup*

I just recieved my WH Extra 300LX and want to get a good setup on my first 50cc plane. The control horns that came with the hardware kit look like the pic on the left. Just the stud is screwed into the hard point area on the control surface. The pic on the right is a Dubro HD Control Horn that has an added aluminum cone shaped piece that screws up to the control surface and looks a lot better. I was just wondering if the pic on the left is ok that way or maybe the aluminum pieces were left out of the hardware kit? Just doesn't look right to me.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92025.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	562073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95700.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	562074  
Old 11-17-2006, 06:33 PM
Flyfalcons

Default RE: *Giant Scale Control Horn Setup*

The setup on my Midwest Extra (80" ) is similar to the hardware provided in your kit. Screw the bolt through the hard point and epoxy it in place and it'll work fine.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:37 PM
Zippi

Flyfalcons,

Thanks for the info. I've used the Dubro HD control horns before but never seen it done like WH does it. Just wanted to make sure nothing was left out of the hardware kit.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:05 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

A threaded rod/screw of the size and type pictured under a constant side-load may experience failure rather quickly I’d suggest; and vibration would exacerbate the problem. A properly setup screw of the appropriate material with an acorn nut fully seated against the surface supporting the screw is the best possible combination. Typically any old bolt/screw is cold rolled and has rather defined crevices at the thread valley; perfect for developing stress cracks and subject to fracture prematurely IMO. Exposed threads are not desirable in any case. Hardened bolts are NOT necessarily the answer either, avoid any grade “8†bolt. A properly sized and supported 8/32" cap screw with an acorn nut is the answer (these screws have minimal thread area which will significantly resist fatigue and failure in side loads....

On the other hand inexpensive screws may work without issue becuase they are of soft. That said there are many reported failures in this very application too.
Old 11-18-2006, 07:07 AM
dthurston
My Feedback: (5)

Zippi

The setup that Tom sends works well... I used the same setup on my WH Edge. Screwed thru the hardpoint but not thru the top surface. Then cut off the head of the screw.
Procedure outline in the manual for the Edge and extra.

Dave
Old 11-18-2006, 07:41 AM
Zippi

dthurston,

Your right, the manual clearly says how to install them. I have just never seen it done that way. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:30 AM
Cobra1
My Feedback: (42)

I used the hardware that came with my WH edge - pic on left - and just screwed and glued as the instructions say and now with 2 years and over 200 flights nothing is even loose. Do what Tom recomends and you will not be unhappy.