Carden Aircraft Post threads here related to the Carden Aircraft line

landing 35% cap

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 01:35 PM
FXD
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default landing 35% cap

Bought a 35% cap at the noll . can not land it. been flying 27% aulitmate no trouble. ever time i try to flair the cap on landing it ballons up. ? am i trying to land to fast. thanks for any help. fxd
Old 07-13-2006, 01:46 PM
rc4flying
My Feedback: (21)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: landing 35% cap

Hello FXD

On all my Caps that I had, which were Carden 35%ers, when the Elevator throw was more then say 5/8" throw measured at the LE of the helper, I always experienced the same results of balloning on landing. I was always thinking the planes were tail heavy. It is surprising how little throw that you actually need to fly a Cap. My recent Great Plains 33% Cap proved to be no different. Just my opinion.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:47 PM
bubbagates
My Feedback: (32)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every Cap I have ever flown needs very little elevator travel as the elevators are very powerful.

My 27% Cap232 has 1/4th inch on low rates and 3/4 inch on high and if I am on high rates, it's hard to land without balloning
Old 07-13-2006, 11:50 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

I have always loved the CAP two three two. They are a little different to fly. As Joe stated, it doesn't take much throw to get them to react aggressively. For this reason, you can fly with a CG that is not as AFT as say an EXTRA or an EDGE and still feel like it has a rearward CG. My cap lands pretty easy and I tend to keep the CG a little more forward than I would other types of planes.

I like to throw a plane around in the sky doing all the 3D stuff. Let's say for example tha I had a 35% extra and had the CG 1.5" behind the recommended CG for doing 3D..... A 35% Cap may only need the CG to be moved back 1" to get the same feel.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo41203.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	491312  
Old 07-14-2006, 03:28 PM
PJFaller

when you start to get into aircraft of this size, people tend to land them the same was as their smaller 25 and 27% airplanes. I find that the best way for me is to start all the way back on the downwind. Making short power off approaches in big airplanes although they can be done in my opinion, is not the best way to start to learn to fly big airplanes. What you need to learn and it will take some time is....altitude is power and airspeed is pitch. What I mean by this is normally in level flight you want to accelerate you add power and to decelerate you decrease power. Climb pull back and descent push forward. In the landing approach you need to get the airplane set up so that you are ata constant pitch attitude throughout the whole approach. By doing this your speed should remain constant. Get the airplane somewhat of a three point landing attitude and let the airplane slow. As it gets to a point where it is happy and before the stall, it will start to sink. Stop the sink with power holding the attitude constant. Using power you will be able to adjust the altitude around the pattern and should never get it close to stall. If it starts to get real sloppy and wing rock, its on the edge of a stall and the nose needs to be lowered. You will find the so called sweet spot with every airplane. As the aircraft approaches the ground, you just have to add or decrease power to control the descent rate to touchdown. Sounds difficult, but try it a few mistakes high and get used to flying the approach that way. Fly a full pattern up high and try it...works great for me. with lightly wing loaded airplanes, they tend to float. By using this method, you take away its want to float. try it. Good Luck.

Pete
Old 07-15-2006, 06:36 PM
zzw26n
My Feedback: (45)

FXD,

Pete is correct in my opinion on how to Land a 35% / 40% Airplane. In fact Dennis at Carden Aircraft would tell you the same thing, it's exactly what he told me. On your down wind leg, you should start to get the Plane in a 3-4 degree nose up attitude and use throttle to maintain your altitude. When you cross the short stuff (landing area) you should only be 4 or 5 feet up and you should be able to to bleed the speed off in a short distance. Altitude is speed, the higher you are, the faster it comes in, unless it's a harrier. I've had it were I needed to hit the throttle in order to make it to the short stuff, you almost have to fly it like a real plane.

That's my 2 cents ....

regards, Ward
Old 07-15-2006, 07:28 PM
DENNIS C
My Feedback: (99)

I would try to slow down before your approach. and keep using throttle to keep it flying. if the plane dont settle then i would add flaps to get the plane to settle in. unless you want to push down on the stick on your threshold but thats a very uncomfortable feeling.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:54 AM
FXD
My Feedback: (3)

Pete i could not agree with you more.as a pilot instructor. in full scale this is the correct aproch. thanks fxd
Old 11-19-2006, 10:23 AM
Diablo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

I would test the CG at a safe altitude. With the airplane trimmed for straight and level flight at full power and hands off, slowly reduce power to idle. If the plane starts to balloon up, it is tailheavy. Tailheavy planes don't land well. Giant scale planes (including Caps) are a piece of cake to land when the CG is correct.