Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Edge 540, Cap 21, Extra 300/330 characteristics

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Edge 540, Cap 21, Extra 300/330 characteristics

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 10:23 PM
Flug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edge 540, Cap 21, Extra 300/330 characteristics

I've been flying for about 17 years. I also flew competition pattern in europe for some time. The question I have isn't one based on lack of aerodynamic knowledge. It's one aimed at determining a good, clean flying plane based on all of your experience with the latest kits in the 35 - 60cc class.

The Inherent problems that I see unfit for the type of plane I want are as follows:

1. One that doesn't snap roll when using hard elevator...like when your coming out of a dive. I know that any plane will under the right circumstances but some do it more.

2. One that isn't unstable for knife edge flight. I'm talking about a plane that you can perform smooth coordinated knife edges or one that doesn't have a tendency to overshoot points in a coordinated point roll. I'm not as much interested in 3D as I am in a plane that is controllable at speed.

3, No weird quirks...Just an all around good performer in the unlimited aerobatic class.

Honestly, I figure you guys have probably flown a few different types. Maybe you can comment on the little quirks you find in the type of aircraft you fly...

Out of the aircraft I've mentioned I've flown the Extra 300 but it was a 60-.90 size Midwest ARF. The power to weight wasn't that great so it wouldn't even compare to a large gas powered aircraft.

Of the aircraft I'm interested in I've narrowed it down to the Extra 330, the Edge 540 and anything else similiar.

Any help or words of wisdom would be helpful.

John
http://vetteworks.tripod.com
http://nauticalart.tripod.com
Old 01-24-2003, 12:17 AM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

You will find many people agree that at least a 90" wingspan is what you want. It sounds as though you are looking for stability. Since you stated in the 35-60cc range, I would push it to the 60cc size because this will lead you to a 90" + plane. Dollar wise, 60 and 80cc are really close so you may even want to go up to something in the 33% range (max for 80cc). Again I think many people will say that the EXTRA is one of the "smoothest" flying planes out there.

Just my opinion
Old 01-29-2003, 04:30 PM
Flug

Default Reply - Capt 232

Thanks...I think more and more I am leaning towards the Extra. I flew an edge the other day and it did exactly what I'm talking about. After I handed the controls back to the owner he came in and dropped a wingtip on landing. Tore the Landing gear off. His approach seemed fine and on speed.....just a little slow..but not slower than most would have been comfortable with. As he began to pull a little elevator to flare the plane dropped the right wing.

Sure, the edge did well but I've found that the Cap 230's and the edge are sensitive if built according to their normal plans. I've also heard that mixing the ailerons so that they come up a little helps this nasty tip stall tendency. Sure, all planes will tip stall but the extra's do it much later and still perform all the other stuff equally well.

I've heard that the Caps do this even more. The only one I've flown was in the RealFlight sim. Ironically it was more proan to the problem than the rest. The 3D Extra was nearly as bad when configured for 3D....An obvious instability due to CG changes for 3D competition.

Bottom Line...its a nasty and difficult thing to recover from. Speed and calmness is the only thing that helps. Trying to roll the aircraft or pull elevator leads to a progressive and very ugly path to the ground.

Further tips from anyone based on their experience is welcome. If you've got some proven methods of alleviating this let me know....cuz I like the looks of the Edge.

John
Old 01-31-2003, 06:24 AM
Tim Holley
My Feedback: (4)

Well heres my 2 cents. The caps are not intended to fly fast with hard elevator inputs or you will snap it, but if you slow it down you can pull full ele on high rates and the plane will come to a complete stop and come straight down without a wing wabble and the plane still be horizontal .These type planes will do all kind of tumble because the wing is built to stall under certain conditions ,and sometimes the wing is put under these conditions by mistake by the pilot on landings or whatever .If you fly one for a while , and not fly it past your capabilitys , the more you fly it the more you figure out what the plane will do. These type planes are a joy to fly , But first you have to learn what makes this type wing fly and stop flying. Hang around them a little longer and youll see what I mean.....YOU"LL LOVE IT
Old 01-31-2003, 06:41 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Extras are awesome planes. Easy to fly and very aerobatic. You don't need to learn how to deal with the plane's nasty characteristics because it doesn't have any. Of course, a properly set up plane will always outperform one that is improperly set up.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:50 AM
Tim Holley
My Feedback: (4)

You said it Flyfalcons.
Old 01-31-2003, 03:12 PM
Flug

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I definitely respect the need to become familiar with your planes potential. I guess its like the difference of playing catch with a ball vs a hand grenade.

There are some really cool planes out there. I think I'm moving towards the Extra. I like the Edge....and the Caps too. I've been impressed by the guys I've seen flying them. I think it's simply a matter of matching the plane to my own style. Most of my flying is a little on the fast side and includes doing alot of things at altitudes that would be difficult to recover from. As many of you know, and no matter how good you may be, things get out of wack sometimes. When it does I want a half ass chance of coming out of it based on my input....not the planes.

Thanks guys..

John
Old 01-31-2003, 03:23 PM
Flug

How do you guys get your pictures up there in the left corner?

John
Old 01-31-2003, 07:12 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to Edit Options, and at the bottom there is an option for 'avitar'. This is where you can insert your picture.
Old 01-31-2003, 07:45 PM
Flug

Thanks