Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Airworld or Composite ARF Extra 300??

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Airworld or Composite ARF Extra 300??

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 03:38 PM
tvgemert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airworld or Composite ARF Extra 300??

I'm planning to build an Extra 300 with a wingspan of approx. 95" in full GFK.

After a selection I'm doubting at the moment between the Composite ARF Extra 330 and the Airworld Extra 300.
Who knows the differences between the two if you look at, quality, flying characteristics, weight, detailing etc.?
The price of the two kits in Europe is exactly the same (799,= euro)

Please advise!

[link=http://Airworld Extra 300]http://www.airworld-usa.com/extra300.htm[/link]

[link=http://Compostie ARF Extra 300]http://www.composite-arf.com/ar/Product?392000[/link]

Old 11-17-2006, 05:17 PM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

Default RE: Airworld or Composite ARF Extra 300??

Whereas the Composite-ARF definetely can be called a true ARF in regards to how much work is needed to finish it up, I believe the Airworld is much more of a kit, and much more time and work is needed to finish it, including painting it.
I don't know what engine you have in mind, but anything from a DA50 to an mvvs58 to a 3W/zdz80 will work on this airframe.
DKjens
Old 11-18-2006, 02:41 AM
tvgemert

ORIGINAL: DKjens

Whereas the Composite-ARF definetely can be called a true ARF in regards to how much work is needed to finish it up, I believe the Airworld is much more of a kit, and much more time and work is needed to finish it, including painting it.
I don't know what engine you have in mind, but anything from a DA50 to an mvvs58 to a 3W/zdz80 will work on this airframe.
DKjens
Thanks for your comments, but building time isn't a decision factor for me. The painting could be one, but I thought that also the Airworld kit is pre-painted because the text on their site tells "included Proteus Graphics". Of course this can be interpreted in different ways.

I'm more curious about differences in quality, flying characteristics and finished weight.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:09 PM
DKjens

The Composite-ARF 2.3m Extra330 flyes very close to as well as the 2.6m Extra. Since it's a smaller airplane, everything happens faster, faster snaps, faster fingers needed for hovering, faster inputs needed for smooth high alpha, etc. If I were looking for an airframe that size I would go with the Composite-ARF. Find a suitable 4 lb engine on in-cowl muffler, or a 3-3.5 lb engine on a can or pipe, and you're set with a great airplane.
No, do not expect there not to be a single small blemish in the paint, they are mass produced, but my experience is that Composite-ARF has improved on their QC in the last year.
My recommendation is the Composite-ARF 2.3m Extra.
Since you are in the Netherlands, an MVVS58 would probably be the perfect engine for this airframe, both weight and power wise.
DKjens
Old 11-20-2006, 02:55 PM
Ch!eF

There is no comparison between comp-Arf and airworld i dont know about the airworld extra 300 but i have the Katana 2,55m and i have the comp-arf 300sx 2,6m . The Katana is not an arf and there is a lot of work in that kit and you will end up way heavier and less refined than the comp-arf i havent found any kit yet to match the nice finnish like the comp-arf.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:42 PM
tvgemert

Thanks for your comments Ch!ef!

Totally clear that for the lite-test and the finest I have to be at Composite ARF. Is the durability also ok with Composite ARF?
One of our club members has an Airworld Extra that's already 10 years old and still looking if it comes straight out of the box.

If the Comp ARF is also as durable I will definetly go for this kit!

Old 11-20-2006, 10:48 PM
DKjens

Ten years old!!!!!!!!!!! I had no idea any aerobatic airplanes survived that long . The Composite-ARF airframes are built light and so if not treated as such, they will get damaged. I have never seen a Composite-ARF airframe get damaged in the air (not counting any repaired airframes), but if you don't know how to land, slow down before turning when taxiing, handle airframe during transport, storage and set up/break down, then it will get damaged.
There are a few mods you can do as the first thing to the airframe when you get it, you'll be well of searching threads here on any Composite-ARF airframes. Since it sounds like you are looking for and expecting an almost life long companion in this airframe, spending a few hours reading through threads here should not be a big deal.
DKjens
Old 12-05-2006, 11:40 PM
llangelone

if you like to fly low and slow..go with the composite,they are very light and very stable..good luck