Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Servo saver adjustment nut

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 11:22 AM
kurtf5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo saver adjustment nut

I tried to screw it in further today because i think the stock setting is a bit loose. Anyway it wouldnt turn, and i didnt want to put too much pressure on it because it was still connected to the car. Do you have to remove it from the car to adjust the nut?
My wheels move about 1cm left and right when my car is still, on the ground. So the servo saver is obviously way too loose, so can it be adjusted without being removed? I think the force from the spring is pushing too hard against it to screw down, making it too difficult to get a grip on when its still connected.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:15 PM
Chronic

Default RE: Servo saver adjustment nut

It's kind of hard to turn when everything is assembled, and dirt/grime on the threads will make it even more difficult. Try cleaning it with some WD-40 and see if it helps.

Dont' go crazy here though. It's set that loose because that's all the stock servo can handle. The tuning range of the saver isn't that big either, so just because you upgrade servos don't think you can then crank it down and all will be fine. Go slow with the adjustments. If you want really snappy response and full steering throw at slow(or no) speed, then really the only thing to do is upgrade to a servo that can handle the tighter saver settings... or use smaller/lighter tires.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:19 PM
kurtf5

ORIGINAL: Chronic

It's kind of hard to turn when everything is assembled, and dirt/grime on the threads will make it even more difficult. Try cleaning it with some WD-40 and see if it helps.

Dont' go crazy here though. It's set that loose because that's all the stock servo can handle. The tuning range of the saver isn't that big either, so just because you upgrade servos don't think you can then crank it down and all will be fine. Go slow with the adjustments. If you want really snappy response and full steering throw at slow(or no) speed, then really the only thing to do is upgrade to a servo that can handle the tighter saver settings... or use smaller/lighter tires.
What about the Hitec 645MG? Cant that handle the servo saver a bit tighter?
Old 12-09-2006, 12:38 PM
Chronic

Sure it can, just be conservative with the adjustments.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:40 PM
kurtf5

Sure it can, just be conservative with the adjustments.
Can you turn the nut on your servo saver without removing it from the car?
Old 12-09-2006, 12:43 PM
SpikeX

The stock servo is not powerful enough to turn the wheels more than 1cm at standstill. This is perfectly normal. From what I have heard, the Hitec HS-645MG is a very popular servo and provides a lot of power.

If you are not using the stock servo, and the wheels do not turn, set the servo throw knob of your transmitter (in between the throttle and steering trim knobs) to full.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:47 PM
kurtf5

ORIGINAL: SpikeX

The stock servo is not powerful enough to turn the wheels more than 1cm at standstill. This is perfectly normal. From what I have heard, the Hitec HS-645MG is a very popular servo and provides a lot of power.

If you are not using the stock servo, and the wheels do not turn, set the servo throw knob of your transmitter (in between the throttle and steering trim knobs) to full.

Nah, its not a stock one. Well at least it WASNT a stock one (it broke today) and its nothing to do with the servo throw on the transmitter. I could see that the servo was just twisting the saver when the wheels were on the ground. Its too loose, it needs tightening quite a lot because there is/was too much torque in the servo i was using.
Anyway as a replacement im going to get a HS-645, i have one on my buggy and its lasted 2 years. No more Blue Bird sh*te!
Old 12-09-2006, 12:48 PM
Chronic

I have before at the track. It's difficult to turn. I was being rushed one day to get back on the track and screwed up the little ridges on the adjusting nut. I was using a flatblade screwdriver wedged in the TVP to turn the nut and got a little carried away...
Old 12-09-2006, 12:51 PM
kurtf5

I have before at the track. It's difficult to turn. I was being rushed one day to get back on the track and screwed up the little ridges on the adjusting nut. I was using a flatblade screwdriver wedged in the TVP to turn the nut and got a little carried away...
Well ive messed up about 6 ridges, so i think i best remove it and go from there. Its only one screw on the bottom of the radio tray.
Old 12-10-2006, 08:57 AM
kurtf5

I took it off and screwed it down so that the saver only moves about half as much as it should.
I know its risky but i want decent handling when i get the HS 645MG. I rarely crash anyway so i shouldnt need the servo saver.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:41 AM
benzzyo5

ORIGINAL: SpikeX

no, if u do this with a after market servo and u set the turn all the way it will burn out sooner. thats the end point to set it put it on a can of paint. turn the trim to full turn, clockwise then back off just untill u see the wheelesmove. then now when u turn it will have no "load" on it. it's hard to explain just try it. i burned up to 645's doing this. now i have a hitec 5645