Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

help on installing canopy windows

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

help on installing canopy windows

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 01:47 PM
acerpal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help on installing canopy windows

I was reading a post on rcscale builder on a bates P40 They were installing the windows behind the cockpit. It was a fiberglass body. They said they glued styrene strips to the inside to form a lip to attach the windows to. They did not go into further detail. I am wondering what they did a bout the strips showing . why not just glue the window in from the inside I would appreciate any help-I am building that plane
Old 12-20-2006, 04:09 PM
OldScaleGuy
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: help on installing canopy windows

Sounds like someone went to some extra work adding strips. Perhaps he had a good reason, but gluing directly to the inside is fine. Make sure you use a glue that will adhere properly.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:05 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: help on installing canopy windows

Perhaps they had window material the same thickness as the frame, and wanted the windows to be flush. In that event, a 1/16" wide ledge of transparent styrene wouldn't show, very much.

I did something like that, putting flush windows in a BUSA 25% Cub. Turned out nice, you can see the backup pieces if you look closely. The glazing is nice and flush.

I would think the shape of the rear side windows on the P40 would make the flush window approach pretty labor intense.

Best wishes,
Dave Olson