Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Best spool up time - Super Bee, Wren 54, or P60?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Best spool up time - Super Bee, Wren 54, or P60?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 06:56 PM
JustABigKid
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best spool up time - Super Bee, Wren 54, or P60?

I'm thinking of getting my first jet, a BVM Bobcat, and I'm researching engines now. I think I'll be going for an engine in the lower thrust range for a Bobcat: 12 ~ 14 lbs. So, I'm considering the Artes Super Bee, Wren MW-54, and the JetCat P-60.

My question is: which one has quickest spool up time? This infomation is hard to come by (not something listed on the "specs" web pages), so any help by owners would be greatly appreciated!

Old 12-18-2006, 07:00 PM
Shok
My Feedback: (28)

Default RE: Best spool up time - Super Bee, Wren 54, or P60?

I never used a Wren but I have a P-60 and its pretty quick.
But I have seen a super Bee in person and it seems a bit faster
Old 12-18-2006, 07:31 PM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

Wren MK3 fastest I've seen hands down. All good engines IMO.

Joe
Old 12-18-2006, 08:01 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a Bee. One guy that I often fly with has a Wren 54 and a couple of others have P-60's. I have flown them all. The Wren and Bee both have faster spool up time than the P-60. The Wren and Bee are close but the Bee is probably a little quicker. The Wren has the best performance.

I would rank them as follows:
SPOOL UP TIME
1) Super Bee
2) Wren 54
3) P-60

PERFORMANCE
1) Wren 54
2) Super Bee
3) P60

All three are good engines and there are other things to consider before purchasing. I am seriously considering a Wren for my next engine. Also you can save a few hundred dollars if you assemble it yourself. Jetcats are serviced in California, Artes in Mexico City, and Wren in the UK.

Joe

Old 12-18-2006, 08:49 PM
rjbob
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't tell Sara but I'd be tempted to buy another Wren kit turbine even if it DIDN'T cost less. It was very enjoyable and quick to assemble and it ran like a top right off the bat...oh, excuse me...it's British...I meant that it ran like a top "straight-away".

The instructions are the best, also.

I'm not affiliated in any way with Wren.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:51 PM
jclittle
My Feedback: (99)

Ken I know your post is regarding spool up time, sorry to get off the track...but do yourself a favor and put something bigger then a 60 on the Bobcat. I put my P60 on my Composite Bobcat and after the first day I ordered a new P80. Much better performance - speed - vertical - grass take off, etc.
Old 12-18-2006, 09:30 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

p60 on a bobcat would be very marginal in my opinion .. ( then again I think p120 is underpowered after i got used to flying on a 36lbs engine )

Go for at least 20lbs + of thrust on this plane ... my friend had a p70 on his, and after a while felt like he could use a bit more punch as well.... I believe from your choices the Wren would give you best performance... the latest ver of he mw54 puts out sick power for its size ...

Voy
Old 12-18-2006, 10:43 PM
TommyWatson
My Feedback: (1)

Wren Supersport. Very fast accelleration and plenty of thrust for the Bobcat.

regards

Old 12-19-2006, 10:33 AM
myersflyers
My Feedback: (33)

Thinking about a Wren SS also, but concerned about service issues.
Does Jet Hangar Hobbies service Wren or is there another US servicer?
Old 12-19-2006, 10:51 AM
myersflyers
My Feedback: (33)

Thinking about a Wren SS also, but concerned about service issues.
Does Jet Hangar Hobbies service Wren or is there another US servicer?
Old 12-19-2006, 10:57 AM
joeflyer

Wrens have to be sent to the UK for service which adds a few days to the turn-around time. Their service is top notch so I wouldn't let that keep me from getting one.

Joe
Old 12-19-2006, 11:25 AM
WrenTurbines

Wrens have to come back to the UK because servicing a SuperSport or MW44 is difficult - the parts have to be a very accurate fit to get the high performance and the guys here "mix and match" parts to get the best engine possible. It would take many weeks training for an engineer to be competent on all the range of Wren engines, from the MW44 to the Turboprop. We would need to find the right person - we have worked very hard for 6 years to gain a good reputation but a poor service agent could destroy our credibility in 6 months. So for the moment we prefer the engines to come back here, where we can be sure that the work will be done right. We try to keep a quick turn-round although at the moment it's slower than usual due to pressures of getting the XL200 ready and moving into the new factory. Anybody know where we can get a 36-hour day?

Sara Parish
Wren Turbines
Old 12-19-2006, 11:32 AM
Airforce7
My Feedback: (31)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, hire another worker or intern to service your turbines. Ken
Old 12-19-2006, 12:13 PM
WrenTurbines

That's good advice, Ken - about six hours ago we put out an advertisement locally for a new employee to help with engine assembly - how did you guess? Amongst other things, we need someone to take on some of the simpler tasks so the experienced guys have more time for repairs.

Sara Parish
Wren Turbines
Old 12-19-2006, 12:47 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: WrenTurbines
Anybody know where we can get a 36-hour day?
Sure - my management has a huge stock of 36 hour days available, judging by the schedules they always come up with.

Just make sure you order the correct part - it's DAY/PEON ; if you inadvertanly order DAY/DIRECTOR or DAY/VP, your day will arrive with only 2 hours or 30 minutes working time respectively.

Gordon
Old 12-19-2006, 01:28 PM
Airforce7
My Feedback: (31)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Sara,

I read about your turbines in RCJI. I have seen your turbines in jets at the jet rallies here in California. Nothing but great reviews. Although I have two turbines now from another manufacturer, I think I'd serious consider a Wren "kit" engine in the future just because of the fact that you can actually handle the working components of the turbine and not have to send it in to have it balanced when your done building it. Very very cool!

Ken
Old 12-19-2006, 01:47 PM
JustABigKid

I've also been thinking of the kit mw-54, but the problem I'm having is the current price vs. a JetCat. There are three factors in favor of the JetCat:
[ul][*] BVM offers a $150 package discount when buying a JetCat with their Bobcat kit.[*] The current exchange rate with the British pound resulted in a recent price increase, according to Jet Hangar Hobbies (US Wren importer), to $2195 for the kit version.[*] Since I live in California, and the US importer is in California, I'd be stuck with paying an additional sales tax of 8.5%...
[/ul]
So, it would be $2382 for the Wren MW-54 kit, versus $2545 for the P-70, or $2345 for the P-60. I keep going over the numbers trying to convince myself that the Wren kit is a good deal, because I like the idea of assembling it myself and saving a few bucks. But there isn't really a price incentive to take on the added risk of building a kit engine (i.e. the risk I'll screw up the engine when building it...)

Too bad. I think Wren is a great company with great products. Darn those British! If only they didn't have such a strong currency I could get more value for my weak American dollar... [sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 12-19-2006, 01:51 PM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

Gordon, that is a print!!!! RoFLaO!!! VP!!!hahhahha!

Joe

ORIGINAL: Gordon Mc

ORIGINAL: WrenTurbines
Anybody know where we can get a 36-hour day?
Sure - my management has a huge stock of 36 hour days available, judging by the schedules they always come up with.

Just make sure you order the correct part - it's DAY/PEON ; if you inadvertanly order DAY/DIRECTOR or DAY/VP, your day will arrive with only 2 hours or 30 minutes working time respectively.

Gordon
Old 12-19-2006, 09:02 PM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ken, there is no way you will screw up the assembly (as long as you know which end of the supplied ball driver to use!). When I built my first WREN it only took 3 hours or so and gives you the warm fuzzies when you are done. For some of us putting it together is a pro and not a con. Some might even pay EXTRA for that pleasure. Scott
Old 12-21-2006, 11:17 AM
JustABigKid

Well, I decided to go with the Wren MW-54 kit. I couldn't resist the idea of building (assembling) the turbine and getting to know if from the inside out. Thanks for everyone's input!
Old 12-21-2006, 11:35 AM
siclick33

Ken, there is no way you will screw up the assembly
I did, but Wren replaced the part I screwed up at cost, so it wasn't a major drama. Apart from the fun of building the engine, the joy of flying your plane knowing that you built the engine yourself (and the amazement of non-jet flyers when you tell them) is unmatched.

The only slight problem with the MW54 build is that it is too quick! I loved building it and would love to build another (even though I don't need an engine) but after having built one I could probably build the next one in about 2 hours!

Old 12-21-2006, 12:58 PM
joeflyer

The only tricky part is installing the bearings. Be careful, if not done just right you'll have 14 tiny ceramic balls rolling around the floor. Finding them and re-assembling the bearing is a real PIA. Don't ask me how I know.

Joe