Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

sheeting foam wings.......

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

sheeting foam wings.......

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 10:27 PM
Fili

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default sheeting foam wings.......

I'm almost to the point of sheeting foam wings on my wing B25. Now, I built a stinger about 6-7 years ago, and that had foam core wings. I remember using a spray on glue to sheet then. Would that be the best method now? I really dont care to use elmers. the drying time would put me behind schedule (ha ha)....anyhoo, anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-27-2006, 12:33 AM
imacflyr3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: sheeting foam wings.......

go with one of the polyurethane glues.....pro-bond or guerilla glue. Spread it onto the sheeting as thin as possible, place the wings in the shucks, and pile on the weight. Let it cure overnight. The glue will foam up and go into the pores of the wing cores. Pretty cool stuff!!

gh
Old 12-27-2006, 03:00 AM
KrisG

Don't forget to spray a little water over the cores and/or the sheeting. The polyurethane needs some humidity to work really well, and there is little humidity in the air on the cold winter days. During summer, we don't have to spray any water, but during winter it is a necessity.

Also : don't forget to weigh down the whole lot with a lot of weight ( big solid board between upper chuck and weights) because the foaming action of that poly glue can be very strong, and lift the whole lot up!

I prefer to sheet them using epoxy and a vacuum bag, but of course that requires the hassle of the vacuum pump etc. Much lighter wings, though, and great gluing because of the perfect contact between core and sheeting.

Kris
Old 12-27-2006, 05:31 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use Dave Brown's Southern Sorghum. http://www.dbproducts.com/

It works the same way that your spray adhesive did, but you brush it on.

The formula for 3M Spray Adhesive has been changed. It is no longer foam safe.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:48 AM
RobT
My Feedback: (17)

If you are going to be building foam wings in the future i would recommend you invest in a vacuum bagging system.

You can then use either PU glue or laminating epoxy (lighter, and better bond) draw down the vacuum and you will have light and perfectly straight wings.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:03 PM
Fili

Thanks Gentlemen!
Old 12-28-2006, 12:05 AM
AERORICH73

RobT: You brought up vacuum bagging for getting the foam wing sheeting attached well to the shape of the raw foam wings. I did a lot of this type of repair when reconditioning fiberglass damaged interior sidewall panels for some of Horizon Airlines F28 planes. Is there a manufacture that makes a small kit for doing model planes? I have not seen any discussion on this type of equipment anywhere. Give me a clue where to look for this product.

Rich S.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:48 AM
Newc

Take a look at http://www.acp-composites.com/ Their $100 system - complete - is more than enough for most of us, and it comes with a great video to show how to use it and some advanced techniques for down the road. I've used it and was very happy with it and the folks there at ACP are very helpful with any and all questions. The system was in my hands about 4 days after I ordered it.

Also, take a look here http://www.rcgroups.com/links/index.php?id=4901 and here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_38...tm.htm#3818590
Old 12-28-2006, 08:17 AM
TOMMYSTA
My Feedback: (15)

If you want to use a spray adhesive 3M does make two spray adhesives that work great for foam....
08074 Spray Trim Adhesive works great and it doesn't attack foam....very aggressive tack
and the other is 3M 6070 adhesive specifically designed for styrofoam....very similar to 08074.....

I've used both for sheeting wings and fuselages and have had great luck with both.

Tom
Old 12-28-2006, 08:33 AM
RobT

I use the Auto-Vac bagging system:

http://www.acp-composites.com/acp-vbs.htm

I have put step by stem bagging instructions here on RCU a number of times.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:07 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: TOMMYSTA

If you want to use a spray adhesive 3M does make two spray adhesives that work great for foam....
08074 Spray Trim Adhesive works great and it doesn't attack foam....very aggressive tack
and the other is 3M 6070 adhesive specifically designed for styrofoam....very similar to 08074.....

I've used both for sheeting wings and fuselages and have had great luck with both.

Tom

Thanks, for the info. Can you buy this stuff at Home Depot, Lowes, etc.?
Old 12-28-2006, 01:00 PM
TOMMYSTA
My Feedback: (15)

The spray trim adhesive (08074) I've bought at an automotive supply store...the other spray (6070) I've found at different craft supply stores like Michaels, Hobby Lobby and the like........
Once the balsa sheeting is put on the foam core I attach the leading edge and stock around the aileron bay or any opening with polyurethane glue...as the glue foams it goes under the sheeting and reinforces the balsa/foam area and gives very strong, reliable wing construction.

Tom
Old 12-28-2006, 05:35 PM
Fili

I used the guerilla glue last night. I see what you mean about the foaming action. I have a little liftage at the trailing edge. nothing major though. I have some of the Dave Brown's southern sorgham on order, but I'll still look for the spray on stuff.
Thanks for the tips guys!
Old 12-28-2006, 05:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you plan to glass and paint the wings or use MonoKote? If you are painting I find epoxy works best for gluing the skins down to make a solid base for the finish. If you plan to use MonoKote the contact glue like the DB glue works super great.