Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

New Engine :) ahahah!????

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 12:26 PM
DavidKirkbride

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Engine :) ahahah!????

Morning/Afternoon

I just bought my X SS and i love the engine its very powerful but i want more beleive it or not and im going to be selling my mt2 and already have 60 pounds so i i think im gonna buy a new engine can any of you guys give me a good idea of which ones are best and where can i get them cheap it the united kingdom

these are the ones i had in mind but dont listen to mee im a noob

OS 30 VG
STS .30
Collari .32 Not sure on the price
Picco P3
LRP Monster Z.28R Spec 3

In advance Thanks

Dave Thi rave
Old 01-04-2007, 01:13 PM
-SomeGuy-

Default RE: New Engine :) ahahah!????

Forget about the collari, unless your made of money. Same for the 30vg, its a strong, reliable engine but lacks the top speed you probably want. The sts 30 from what im hearing is a real monster but at a cost to your drivetrain so if you choose sts stick to the 28 IMO. I have a picco 28 and its great, had to sort out an air leak but now its going strong. The lrp seems to be the engine of choice these days, that and the xtm 457.

If i was looking for a new engine my top choices would be:

LRP z28 spec3
xtm 457
picco p3 28
sts 28
SH 28 dont know much about them but i hear they make great engines, i think the lrp and/or the xtm 457 are made by SH but i'll let someone else confirm that.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:18 PM
DavidKirkbride

ok i think im gonna pick up a sts .30 and get spider diffs?
Old 01-04-2007, 01:21 PM
-SomeGuy-

You allready have 4 spider diffs in your XSS.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:22 PM
dight1

an axial .32 if you wanna go crazy, a 8 port 3 needle slide carb. Its truely a beast of its own.
Buddy has one and he doesnt tuned ther LSN or MSN ( middle speed needle ) dont ask me why.

I call him crazy, and he still does wheelies and flips.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:26 PM
DavidKirkbride

i thought 3 ports was best? thats why i thought os VG30, i think i might get an axial will it bolt right in and will it tear my diffs so bad? whats the best diffs? what upgrades else shud i do alotta questions i know
Old 01-04-2007, 01:28 PM
DavidKirkbride

also is this faster than the k4.6
Old 01-04-2007, 01:33 PM
-SomeGuy-

The more ports the better, thats why people are not to crazy about the 30vg. You shouldnt have anything to upgrade in your XSS drive train but a 'stump pulling' .30 .32 will wear down the drive cups and dogbones faster than a 28. And a 28 will have more than enough power to do wheelies all day but has the added bonus of having a higher top speed than most .30 .32s.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:37 PM
DavidKirkbride

hmm i dont know what i want really. i want power but i was thinking i dont want to spend money on repairs and stuff. whats the best of both worlds? do you think i s shud stay stock? but i dont know what to buy even if i stay stock i wanna spend
Old 01-04-2007, 01:56 PM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay guys... I have some advice to offer on these mills... I mod engines and have tested and worked with quite a few in the list...

The STS 30 is the fastest in the list, it has as much tourque as an Axial 32, but with a much stronger midrange and top end, in a drag race the STS will flat out smoke the Axial 32... But the STS 30 is a very picky engine, it needs to be broken in correctly, its also fairly difficult to tune..... And if you dont break it in correctly it will be junk, they are not forgiving one bit..... The STS 30 is for only those with experience and proficient tuning skills, this is 110% not a motor for a beginner.. As well the STS engine needs to be run on a STS tuned pipe, nothing else.

the Axial 32, has amazing bottom end and midrange, and a very good top end with the right pipe ( Sh tuned pipes, XTM tuned pipe, 053) ..the Axial 32 is also extremely easy to break in, super easy to tune, and IMO the best of the big guns for a beginner... the Pullstarts are also pretty durable as well...... Though the Axials can be prone to leaking, such as the carbs and front bearings... But fortunately Axial will usualy take care of any problems should they arise....

the XTM 457/SH28 P6 are both the same motor..They are fairly easy to tune and break in, but not nearly as easy as the Axial, i would say these for intermediate users . These motors are very fast motors, they will beat an AXIAL 32 in a drag race.... They have tons of tourque, and very good top end... But there powerband feels peaky, and can feel like a on/off switch at times.... You will find the wheelies somewhat hard to control...... The Axail lays its tourque down a whole bunch nicer and is better for bashing IMO, the SH mill is a little more high strung and needs to have more RPM to make power and tends to explosde when it gets on pipe..... The Axial feels as if its on pipe all the time....

IMO for a rookie the Axial 32 is the best choice for a rookie, it has the most consistant tune and power curve, it will seem to make good power no matter how out of tune the needles are, its also has a rock solid steady idle, its pullstart is very strong, as well its a very durable engine that IMO will likely outlast the other mills....with modding I can make an Axial 32 a total monster of an engine.........My only gripe is the motor doesn't have the best top end performance for parking lot races, but its consistant brute power more then makes up for it..

The STS 30 is absolutely ballistic when its setup correctly, but unfoirtunately I can't see a rookie having the ability to tame this beast.... It takes a very gentl hand to tune, its needles are very sensitive, and its very fragile to an improper break in.... Rush the break in and the P/S will be shot under a gallon....So if you are a rookie avoid the STS 30, unless your willing to take the time to learn how to dial these mills in...

I have drag raced all these engines against each other many times, the Axial h
Old 01-04-2007, 02:08 PM
DavidKirkbride

i think i might get a sts .30 get my LHS to run it in. but i think i might do it myself i dont class my self as a noob my k4.6 is running excellent
Old 01-04-2007, 02:14 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: DavidKirkbride

i think i might get a sts .30 get my LHS to run it in. but i think i might do it myself i dont class my self as a noob my k4.6 is running excellent

yeah the STS 30 is fantastic.... i would run it in yourself, most LHS guys wont take the time needed to do it properly.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:17 PM
DavidKirkbride

yea, they said to do my shell 75 pounds time is money i guess mate
Old 01-04-2007, 02:47 PM
supertib

I will be glad to help you in any way I can... hell I could sell you a Pre-modded, pre-broken in STS 30 for a great price if you wanted ( PM me)

the K4.6 is likely one of the easiest to break in and tune motors you will find, the K4.6 and Axial 32 are nearly identical in every aspect......

But i'm telling you a STS 30 is a whole different animal, be warned !!! But IMO its nothing some care and patience can't overcome....
Old 01-04-2007, 04:24 PM
Chronic

Hey supertib, are you planning on messing with the 8 port LRP spec 3? I'm curious to hear your impressions of that engine.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:33 PM
DavidKirkbride

hehe