Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

hurricane xp tuning

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 10:02 PM
brianschmitt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hurricane xp tuning

please help. My son received a hurricane xp for christmas and the problem is that when you go to greater than half throttle to full throttle the car bogs down and even quits. I pretty sure it is because of the lean / richness of the fuel adjustment on the car. Please tell me what needs to be adjusted and if known the optimum throttle setting of the adjustment for maximum speed.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:34 PM
DaveG55

Default RE: hurricane xp tuning

There is no "optimum" that can be applied as a blanket setting. Each nitro engine tunes slightly differently and it's not unsual to have to tweek the tuning from day to day.

Here are a couple of videos to give you the idea. They are done on an HPI Savage but the principles and details pertain to 90% of the nitro engines made.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSmMzpZM_As
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJFsJAxNoRg

You will need to find the factory settings for your engine so you have a known starting point.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:42 PM
running_gag

it sounds like your running too rich. if your still breaking in the engine you can lean out the HSN (high speed needle) by turning it counter clockwise 1/12 of a turn. sort of like a clock go back just one hour. I would also suggest a temp gun. it is a 30 dollar investment that will be the single most valuable tool you can have for the long life of your engine. something like this.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEMG5&P=ML

For tuning, there is no one setting for maximum performance. due to the small size of these engines, changes in the weather can effect the way the engine runs. I'm looking for a tuning guide but I can't find it. let me get back to you on that one.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:43 PM
running_gag

Dave found them. thanks Dave.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:46 PM
brianschmitt

thank you
Old 01-08-2007, 05:50 PM
brianschmitt