Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

transmitter tray

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

transmitter tray

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 11:46 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default transmitter tray

Hi all, I am debating whether or not to start using a transmitter tray. I noticed a lot of the top guys using them. Those of you , who are using one, what are the pros, and what brand are you using.
Rcpete
Old 12-17-2006, 12:34 AM
swissflyer

Default RE: transmitter tray

i always used trasmitter tray, from the first day.
what i like is that the radio is stable. you don't hold it with your hands, you use your hands just to pilot the model.
you can move your hand around adjusting trims, or hitting switches, with the whole hand, not just fingers, not worring about the radio.

i even get to eat cake when flying a glider in the mountains.

i use futaba (on FC28 radio and FX40 ), but for the holding strap i may suggest multiplex (see photo). the weight is more even distibuted than a normal neck strap
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47620.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	578666  
Old 12-17-2006, 01:18 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always been a hand held transmetter guy, but could see a lot of advantages to using a tray. I finally got one this summer. I used it, and immediately felt that it would be great for precision flying, or any kind of flying where small precise stick movements would be required. For stick stirring flying, I found that the type of tray that I got made it difficult to reach full stick delflection... so it was actually a hinderance for abrupt aerobatic or 3D flying.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:30 AM
Boomerang1

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Like Wayne I have always been a hand held guy but I could never get used to using a tray. The only way to tell if you are a tray guy is give it a try. Works for Wayne who converted, Alessio who has always done it that way, for lots of others but for me, no. John.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:33 AM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

HI all, the first thing about my self is , I am a finger and thumb flyer and find it awkward using the aux 3 for the brakes and secondly, I will not fly without a neck strap, I have this thing about dropping the transmitter.
I"ve watched Scott Gray, one of the best Heli pilots in the world and he uses a tray.
I"ve also watched guys who are thumb flyers and they don"t have any problem using aux 3 for brakes.
Any more pros on the tray.
Rcpete
Old 12-17-2006, 12:12 PM
rjbob
My Feedback: (8)

Borrow a tray, Pete. Work with it for a while and if becomes comfortable flying with it, get one.

Personally, I don't use a tray or a strap. I've tried both but it just doesn't feel right to me.

The obvious...the only way you'll know if a tx tray is for you is to try one yourself. The only opinions you're going to get here are for what works for others. It doesn't mean it'll work for you.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:47 PM
3DHELINUT
My Feedback: (3)

I have been using TX trays for some 10 years now and would not give it up. I get the freedom of controlling the sticks with out having to support the TX in my hands.

I have tried a few different types over the years and stuck wit this one.

[link=http://petalrc.com/Photos1.htm]Petal rc [/link]

Alan
Old 12-17-2006, 12:58 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 128 Likes on 111 Posts

Try one and see if you like it or not, at the end if you see the benefits of precision flying then you can decide to use it or not. I have used one in the pass but was not happy with the results so I quit using it for now ( that was 10 years ago ) [8D]

Good luck.
Old 12-17-2006, 01:32 PM
uncleTom
My Feedback: (30)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most thumb flyers don't like trays.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:12 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Works for Wayne who converted,
No, I didn't... I'll keep trying it, but only for that type of flying that does not require large stick movements (gliders come to mind..) If I can't get used to it on glow planes, there is no way I would try it with a jet...

A tray has some advantages, it is not universally good, however.....
Old 01-13-2007, 09:24 AM
brentp76
My Feedback: (14)

I was at the AMA show and tried on the RC tray man tray, never thought I would like it.. probably gonna pull the trigger on one today.. I am a thumb flyer, and this tray allows you to stay that way.. pretty amazing actually. but for the price it should be!