Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

GWS Props

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 01:42 PM
Mayday!Mayday!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS Props

The question I have is- What is the difference in the gws props? There is the DD-Direct drive, the HD-Hyperdrive, the RS(never seen this one).
I have no clue how to tell them apart and how much of a difference there is in numbers between them-(such as amp draw and thrust and so forth).
Can someone help me here?
I have 2 props right now- one looks like an APC-SF prop and the other the blade with stays even with the hub out to the tip and then tapers.
Thanks for any info here.
Old 01-20-2007, 08:29 PM
Mayday!Mayday!

Default RE: GWS Props

So no one has this answer?
Old 01-20-2007, 08:37 PM
Hatty

The RS stands for Reduction Series. These are for slow fliers with gear boxes. The props are designed to produce a lot of thrust with little rpm. You can identify them by their large pitch and large diameter. These props are, for the most part, larger than the others.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHHX7&P=7

The direct drive props are for direct drive setups. These develop their thrust at a very high rpm. These tend to have a smaller diameter and smaller pitch.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHHX2&P=7

And I'm just guessing with this one, but I think hyper drive props are for high rpm planes that are designed to travel at high speeds, like delta wing planes.

Actually, while we are on the subject, does anyone know the difference between the APC sport, pylon, pattern, etc props? I'm guessing they are for the type of flight that they are named after, but in what way are they designed differently?
Old 01-21-2007, 03:05 AM
jdetray

The RS (slow fly) props can be identified by their broad, curvy blades, whereas the DD and HD props have straighter blades. See photo below. The RS props go up to 15" diameter, whereas the DD props max out at 12" and the HD at 10".

The "Reduction" in Reduction Series refers to "gear reduction," so GWS had in mind that the RS props would be used in gearboxes. But you'll see them used in direct drive applications, too, especially since the advent of high-torque brushless outrunner motors. I've used RS props up to 11" in direct drive.

The differences between the DD and HD props appear slight, and many users of GWS props lump them all together and refer to both types as "GWS HD props." So if you hear someone refer to GWS HD props, they are quite likely refering to the whole lineup of GWS non-RS props.

As a group the RS props tend to be less sturdy than the DD/HD props, but the individual props vary quite a bit in this regard.

As far as I know, the RS, DD, and HD props now all have 3mm holes for the motor (or gearbox) shaft. But in addition, the DD/HD props have flanges molded into the hubs as a guide for drilling them out for larger shafts. At one time, some DD/HD props were produced with 4mm holes, but then GWS switched them all to the 3mm hole when they added the guide flanges.

Even though all GWS props have a 3mm hole, there is an important difference when it comes to mounting the props. The RS props are molded to accommodate mounting nuts that are 5mm across the face of the nut. In the DD/HD series, the smaller sizes use a 5mm nut, but the larger sizes are molded for a 7mm-wide nut.

- Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61769.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	602990  
Old 01-21-2007, 09:22 AM
Mayday!Mayday!

Thanks for the reply guys, it helped alot.
I thought there may be some huge difference in the DD and HD props (like thrust or amp draw-all things equal between the 2).
I understand the RS prop- not much different than an APC-SF, wider blade,more thrust, higher amp draw
but just wasn't sure of the DD to HD.
Thanks again