Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Electric P-38 thinkings.....

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Electric P-38 thinkings.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 09:15 PM
Rube Goldberg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric P-38 thinkings.....

OK, so the next electric plane is going to be one of the little 52" wingspan Richmodel P-38 Lightnings that can be found at Nitroplanes/Raidentech and others. The set up is going to include:

A pair of the outrunner motors as suggested
A pair of 30A ESCs
A pair of TP 21003S batteries, 1 in each boom
2 aileron servos+2 elevator servos+2 rudder servos+1 nose gear servo. A total of 7 micro servos in all.

What I have picked up from the forums is to wire the ESC leads that go to the receiver into a Y harness and finally to the receiver via either:

1) Cut one of the positive leads in the Y harness
2) Don't cut one of the positive leads in the Y harness

So now my thoughts on this whole ball of,er,wires. I'm going to use one of the little GWS Pico/Naro 6 channel receivers. And if I use just one receiver I'm going to have one battery supply both motor power and radio power, while the other battery only provides motor power. And I'm really concerned about running a motor AND 7 servos with one battery. The receiver would probably mount in the center pod of the airplane, and have several servo lead extensions from the ailerons and the booms. This is nothing but added weight.

Then the thought ocurred to me......why not just put the one receiver in one of the booms, and yet another receiver in the other boom, where one will run just 3 servos and a motor via it's speed control, and the other, via a single extension to the pod for the nose gear servo will be running 4 servos and a motor via it's speed control as well?

The cost of the additional receiver would probably be offset by 60 or 70% by the savings in NOT purcasing all the servo lead Y harness' and extensions. So that alone is a win-win.

I've never used 2 receivers in one plane.......think it would work?

Thanks!
Rube
Old 01-21-2007, 04:43 PM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Electric P-38 thinkings.....

The big boys do it all the time!