Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

n00b RS4 owner, help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 11:44 PM
gmann2388

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default n00b RS4 owner, help!

This is my first "actual" rc car that I have purchased (well actually 2). I bought two carbon fiber HPI RS4 chassis off ebay for a steal along with other goodies. I wanted to know what I need to get one running. It is a rolling chassis with a team Orion 15 turn motor an unknown mfg. speed controller and I have two recievers to choose from (I don't know what one to use- a HPI RX-1 AM27 MHz reciever or an unknown mfg. 75 MHz reciever). When the HPI reciever was plugged in the car turned left and barely moved when I turned the wheel on the controller (and the trim would not adjust that either) untill I shut off the controller they will somewhat straighten out. The car would not move at all other than that. And with the 75 MHz reciever I couldn't even get that out of it. Also on the speed controller there is a red and green LED which do not light up, along with a button and turn dial. I tinkered with all of this stuff trying to see what would work and so far I've achieved nothing.

I would appreciate ANY feedback on what I should change about the car, if I am doing anthing correctly or not, and how much of an idiot I sound like.

Thanks in advance, Garrett
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82953.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	604671   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93854.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	604672   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75008.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	604673  
Old 01-25-2007, 12:09 AM
almtx3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: n00b RS4 owner, help!

Hey Garrett - There could be a number of things going on here. I used to run electrics way back when so im gonna try to help as much (or little as I can). As far as that esc is concerned it could be malfunctioning and the easiest thing to do is to start searching for a new one. That would be the simple solution depending on your budget. Focusing more on the problem at hand, ESC's usually have a set up button which might explain the button on yours. It must be some sort of initial set up button. That right there may be malfunctioning as well and is not allowing the set up to take effect. Its a simple set up for electric cars so the wiring should not be difficult. I also think the red and green LED's not lighting up is another good indicator of the esc being out of commission. If it would work, the green LED should light up, or you should get some kind of flash when you pull your control back to full throttle. If you go the rout of another esc, search through the forums and im sure you will find a few good threads on which one will be right for you.

What radio do you have?

A few other things just to keep in mind are - Is that battery in the car new or did it come with the car? Is it fully charged? How are you charging it? When you purchased the car did it come with crystals and are they the same channel? Just a few little things to consider and check on in order to ensure that everything is working properly.

The car is a cool car. That was actually one of my first cars so dont get frustrated. You definately dont sound like an idiot. We all started in this hobby just like you and had to learn as we went along. These things happen when you are dealing with used parts. What works, what doesnt is all part of getting it running.

Finally - If you are just getting into the hobby stick with the AM radio for now. Get yourself a new ESC (if your budget allows it) and plug in the HPI RX-1 and see what happens. Using the process of elimination you should get to the bottom of this. Seeing that the main culprit here is that ESC, I recommend starting with that. Hopefully someone else with more knowledge will chime in and lend a hand. Im sure this issue will get resolved and GOOD LUCK!