Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

How lean is too lean?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 06:36 PM
gunrunner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How lean is too lean?

I just set my 10yo daughter up with her 1st RC car. She chose a Losi XXX-Nt RTR nitro truck. And she loves to rip on it. The prob. is we just broke it in this last weekend and she is already leaning the mix down for speed and quick take off. Should I run it a little rich or let her run it just alittle lean? Is there a way to tell if it's dangerously rich...like no exhaust smoke etc..?

Also seperate Q. Her instructions go into detail on how to check and adjust the differntial. I'm wondering if I also need to do this on my 1/8 GSstorm and if so HOW?
Old 02-04-2003, 07:30 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to make sure the engine isn't running too warm. If you have a temp gun, keep it around 230 degrees and you'll be fine. If you don't have a temp gun, use the spit method (water works too). Put a drop of water on the top fin of your engine. If it boils off, you're too lean. If it steams off in 3-5 seconds, you're about right. If it takes forever (8+ seconds) to evaporate, you can lean it a bit.

As for your storm, just make sure there isn't too much backlash (and it doesn't bind either) between the ring and pinion. You need to verify adjustment on the losi truck because it has a ball differential. The storm has a gear diff (thus, you don't have an adjustment screw on it).
Old 02-04-2003, 07:30 PM
mattymx
My Feedback: (1)

Richer is always better for the longevity of the engine. The pipe should have visible smoke all the time under all throttle posisitions, except for 0 throttle. You might want to invest in an infra-red temp probe to see how hot the engine gets. Check the manual for exact temps, but it is known that 300 is MAX safe. 210-240 is darned near perfect.

Matt
Old 02-04-2003, 08:32 PM
dagass

As the others have stated, let the temp be your guide. Another indication that the motor is too lean is if it stalls at WOT. Richer is definitely better. The extra 1 or 2 mph you may squeeze out of the motor by leaning it out is insignificant when you realize that you will more than likely torch your motor.
Old 02-05-2003, 11:52 PM
RS4_3_ss

just run it rich i blew my engine a while back!
Old 02-06-2003, 12:35 AM
dbow
My Feedback: (1)

Default Engine settings

If people ask the question about long engine life and how to get the most out of it, I suggest the following.

First I always suggest to anyone in the hobby running nitro to invest in a Temp gauge. One of the most accurate ones out there is the Raytek mini Temp.
They are known to be roughly 1 degree off and very consistant.

Without it your just guessing in my opinion, the gauge eliminates the guesswork and gives you a number you can see and work with.

As for the tuning, I suggest tuning the car for maximum power on the high end needle, then open the needle back up 1/4 turn. THis should be a somewhat rich setting.
I would also suggest using the radio ATV if you have them to set the throttle control horn a couple of clicks back from full throttle. This will keep the engine from running wide open when the trigger is pulled all the way back.

This may sound as if its taking all the power out of the engine, but this setup will provide for long life.

I would not suggest this for someone racing or someone wanting the most performance out of an engine.
Performance and engine life are very hard to come by at the same time in my opinion.

Also, please invest in a good throttle return spring. Depending on installation some springs do not have enough muscle to pull the arm back to the home position.
Test the spring and make sure that it pulls the arm back with authority. I also suggest a Nicad battery pack and throw away the Alkalines and the battery holder that comes with most kits.
The batteries can shift inside the holder and cause a runaway. With a pack you eliminate that happening. The battery pack will also save you money, especially if you run the car a lot.
A good charger such as the superbrain will provide excellent maint for your nicad pack. Fairly cheap charger as well.

I can tell you that I have save thousands of dollars on batteries over the years by using rechargeables.

Well hopefully you find some value in the above and get long life from your nitro engine.

Dbow