Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

electric f3A

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 10:45 AM
underwood

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electric f3A

HI CHIP,
could you please advice what set up you are flying in your electric pattern models,IE:motors speed controlers,batteries,chargers etc.this would be a great help,

regards
underwood
Old 09-29-2006, 08:12 PM
toddblose
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: electric f3A

underwood,
Chip is on his way to the Master's so I will let you know the set up I am running.
I am running the same set up as Chip. The motor is the Hacker C50 XL 14 comp.
speed controller is the Master 90-O-Acro, Prop is an APC 20 x 15 E
Batteries are Thunder Power TP5300-5S4PLV and the Thunder Powr 1010
charger and TP-210V balancer
Hope this helps
Old 10-02-2006, 07:42 AM
underwood

todd,
many thanks for your reply,it seams very hard to get a direct answer from any one on this subject,i will go with what you guys are using,what flight time are you getting on these flight packs todd???..

regards
underwood.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:38 AM
Passport1
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The flight times are 9 minutes. You can go Ten but it works that batts pretty hard. I also would like to add that we have defiantly decided the 13 XL comp motor will actually be a better choice then the 14XL. When I say better, I mean better for all types of wind conditions, not better mechanically. I have know since I first flew the comp motor, that the motors did not have exactly the same performance as a standard motor, but I have never been able to prove that until now. I had been told such things as the contest motor is really a half wind more and that is why the performance was less, as well as the fan has to drag the motor some, but the bottom line is HEAT is the culprit.

The old motors actually were no where near as consistant as the contest motors, because they were not internally cooled. That makes the operating temps from start to finish vary quite a bit more. The heat in turn causes the motor to draw more amps, which in turn causes the increased power, that we had all been getting used to a couple of minutes in to the flight. Personally I thought it was the batts causing this but infact it was the motor itself.

Anyway i have flown the 13xl in both of my models and it put me back to the awesome power I had in 2005 with a milled down 14xl. . I run the 20x15 and it draws around 60 amps. When the wind really blows like at the nats this year you can easily switch to a 20 x13 to get insane power, and then if thats not enough simply go to timing mode 2. I did that in the finals and never had to go above 2/3's throttle. I was the only one there with the 13XL, and it was definantly the most pwerful system.

If you are told upon placing your order that no one uses the 13XL and that the 14XL is the better choice. Please remember what I said earlier about the halfwind increases. I have communicated all of this with Rainer Hacker himself, and believe me half winds are not the difference.

By the way I also recomend the standard 90 AMP controller and not the contest version. The brake is the difference, that is all. If you have any Q's Todd can explain the differences.

Hope this helps.

Chip
ORIGINAL: underwood

todd,
many thanks for your reply,it seams very hard to get a direct answer from any one on this subject,i will go with what you guys are using,what flight time are you getting on these flight packs todd???..

regards
underwood.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:43 PM
underwood1

CHIP,
many thanks you have anawered a great deal of questions,and i thank you for that,i will take your advice and order the13xl,the model they will go in is a oxai beryll,sorry chip could not get hold of one of your great planes over in the uk!!.
do you belive it is the end of the YS in pattern,as they are still a great engine,but i would guess to say you would have more consistenet runs with the electric motors,and that is a bonus for consistent flying!!,many thanks again chip!!

regards
underwood.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:02 PM
Malcolm B

Is that steve Underwood there??? Its Malcolm Balfour here not seen you in ages hows things going?? you been flying much??

Malc