Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Speed Controller

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 11:24 PM
moo10123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Controller

hey guys where can I find a good speed controller for 12 volts in the usa (dont want to wait forever for shipping)? there powering 2 550 motors (i think there 550) in the 1/6th m5 stuart. PLEASE HELP!!
Old 02-12-2007, 11:42 PM
vollenc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Speed Controller

robotmarketplace.com. In the electronics section they have a large selection of reasonably priced speed controls and the shipping is 3-5 days.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:43 PM
briz

I used the Scorpion XL from robotmarketplace in my 1/6 Stuart.......good service(ship from Tacoma WA area)

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/mark...ntrollers.html
Old 02-12-2007, 11:52 PM
moo10123

quick questions i got about it

1. can i use my radio to make it so each stick runs each tread, it says this thing combines them into one?

2. very noobish question what is this? Receiver battery eliminator circuit (BEC) standard, does it take the battery for the motors and puts it to the reciever at a safe voltage?

3. anything cheeper seems like your paying more for the 2 in 1 thing

thanks for your help!
Old 02-13-2007, 08:02 AM
pattoncommander

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Briz,

Would this replace the entiire RC system? Mine runs OK forward, but reverse or use of the turret has it jumping and firing all over the place. Simply change-over?
Bill
Old 02-13-2007, 10:49 AM
navspook

Moo:

I use a Vantec electronic speed controller (ESC) for my RC Armory 1/8 King Tiger. Try,

[link]http://www.vantec.com/products.htm[/link]

They're not cheap (RDFR22 will be around $280). But, these are industrial ESCs and they're reliable.

Briz mentions robotmarketplace and the Scorpion XL -- this may be just fine for what you need, and cheaper, so you might want to take a serious look at that one too. (I'm not familiar with the product so I don't have an opinion).

Either way, you should make sure you use a controller that is voltage-compatible with your motors or you might fry one or the other (ESC or motors). It's best to talk with the ESC supplier, tell them what you want to do, and ask for advice on which ESC will fit best.

Cheers...
Old 02-13-2007, 11:11 AM
briz

moo10123, yes, the BEC uses the voltage from your 12vdc battey(the one that came with your Stuart) and supplies voltage to your receiver!(very handy!....the Tamiya unit does exact same thing).
As for the "two stick control"......there are jumpers that allow you to set up type of control that you want....
• Left/Right independent (Tank) is what you are looking for....yes, it will do that
I use standard setup......right stick is throttle and stearing.
To control the turret , I use a Scorpion-mini for rotation.......all of this off of the 12vdc battery.The fan is "just in case",unit runs VERY cool .Sound is NOT proportional,nor do I have cannon or MG fire sounds with this setup.If I use original controler, I can make it happen...just not my priority.I also need to install a servo for gun elevation....maybe later.
I did same to my 1/9 Abrams
See attached pics
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33817.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	620592   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85305.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	620593   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj25967.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	620594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99795.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	620595   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66134.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	620596  
Old 02-15-2007, 04:32 PM
moo10123

wow... guys id suggest never to order from www.abcmodelsport.net. last monday I orderd 2 speed controllers from them. they said instock when i orderd them. well so a whole week goes by and this monday i check to see where it is. and the order is still pending.... so i tell them i want a refund. and tuesday they said they refunded my card which still today has not shown up yet......