Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

hl bulldog

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 10:13 PM
Aslvrfrost98csvt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hl bulldog

how is the bulldog as far as accuracy and detail im thinking on getting one from mato . any pics of detailed bulldogs that some of you might have would be great
Old 02-16-2007, 12:11 AM
Harquebus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: hl bulldog

It is too big when viewed side by side with the Pershing as it should be smaller. It is pretty accurate but has the typical HL flaws which can be fixed readily.

http://svsm.org/gallery/M41

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5364062/tm.htm

-Harq
Old 02-16-2007, 01:19 AM
Aslvrfrost98csvt

so is the persing more accurate then the bulldog and which preforms better(more reliable). i already have the hl tiger 1 wife wants me to get a us tank but cant decide which one.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:26 AM
pattoncommander

The M-41 is a nice looking tank, but as Harq wrote, not 100% perfect regarding exact size but there are some things that you can change. he also put a couple really nice links showing the M-41, including a couple of my posts, showing improvements I made to my HL model;
The pioneer rack is too high and can be lowered about 50 percent.
driver's periscopes are looking up, but these can be pulled out, filed or dremmeled and placed back to look straight ahead.
Mufflers and shields should be highly rusted. The HL has the aux engine muffler sitting on the right main engine muffler shield. The
M-41A1 had it moved to the right front track guard, by the pioneer tool rack....optional if you care to move it.
The gun travel lock is not there but you could easilly make one.
Also, the tow cable and brackets are not there....you can make one and mount it on the left track guard (fender) starting at the driver's hatch and and ending even with the muffler shield.
Spare track blocks are also not there, and the M-41 had two spares locked down on the track guard by the driver's hatch. ( I have sets of 2 track blocks on Ebay for this purpose)
The extra light in front of the driver can go. It comes on when the tank cranks up and is not part of the actual M-41..
The gun is more a 90mm than 76, but other than replacing the entire gun tube, just have to live with it....and it's a bit too short over the real one, This seems to be standard with HL, as the Tiger and Pershing guns are also a bit too short.
Operationally, my M-41 runs and maneuvers smoother than the Pershing, but I have an older non S&S model.
Hope the info helps.

Bill
Old 02-16-2007, 09:33 AM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Aslvrfrost98csvt

so is the persing more accurate then the bulldog and which preforms better(more reliable). i already have the hl tiger 1 wife wants me to get a us tank but cant decide which one.
I would go for the Pershing as you already have the Tiger. The Bulldog was after WWII, and I believe you would be happier having Tanks that were actually adversaries, and squared off against each other. Get the Bulldog later.
Old 02-16-2007, 01:37 PM
Aslvrfrost98csvt

so which is more reliable the persing or the walker bulldog (both being from mato)
Old 02-16-2007, 01:54 PM
Richard L.
My Feedback: (24)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Both are equally reliable, but sometimes you do get a bad one out of the box. It's all luck. Everytime I opened up an HL tank, I always found a loose screw stuck to the top of one of the motors.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:47 PM
pattoncommander

VHR gave some good advice. The Pershing countered the Tiger, entering service in Germany in April 1945. and earned the title of "Tiger Tamer." The M-41 entered service in mid 1953 and was never used by the USA in combat. The M-26 Pershing would be the ideal choice since you already have a tiger. Both are nice models and always being improved.

Bill
Old 02-16-2007, 04:38 PM
Aslvrfrost98csvt

what about the whole "the bulldog has newer electronics so its more reliable
Old 02-16-2007, 05:07 PM
Harquebus

The M-41 is a newer tank but it uses the same "guts" (electronics) as the rest of the HL tanks. The only thing obviously changed about the latest HL tanks, and I believe that includes all of them, is the improved smoke generator with see-through construction. It seems to run more effectively and quieter.

Someone always mentions that the M-41 has higher ground clearance than any tank in the Heng Long line. While it is true, one would rarely encounter terrain conditions where the hull of the tank is dragging on the earth or the tank would get high-centered on a small peak. At least, that is if you are driving it in scaled-down and realistic environs.

In the end, which tank speaks to you more? I think the Pershing with its big muzzle brake, imposing appearance and combat experience got my attention.

-Harq

ORIGINAL: Aslvrfrost98csvt

what about the whole "the bulldog has newer electronics so its more reliable
Old 02-17-2007, 01:11 AM
Kabul Tanker

I can only comment about comparing the tiger to the bulldog. Harq gave the thread to the Quickie Bulldog upgrade... I found it was much simpler and easier to do quick fixes to the bulldog and have a great tank.. but if you want the fun of changing and building.. I would say the tiger. One of my reasons why I like the HL over the Tamiya.. is the challenge of design, coming up with ideas.... I don't think you get it to the same extent with the Tamiya... But to be fair I have never owned a Tamiya.... Finally, this site has doubled my fun with my tanks... giving me ideas... a place to share my ideas... and a place to show my work and get feedback!..

KT

Old 02-17-2007, 01:40 PM
Aslvrfrost98csvt

i already have 2 tigers a white washed one and a desert yellow one . and my wife went and ordered me the pershing because she thought it looked better then the bulldog plus she wanted a tank that was used in wwII. so i cant complain she bought the other 2 for me.