Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Convert Experimental plane to giant scale?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Convert Experimental plane to giant scale?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 09:47 PM
wingspan99
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convert Experimental plane to giant scale?

I have a single place Teenie I experimental plane that I want to convert to a giant scale model. Three of the Vantec 27 ft/lb servos would fly it nicely. It's got a 65 hp VW on it and an empty weight of 480lbs. Can someone tell me what it would take to get a waiver of the 55lb weight limit for it?
I don't have a picture of my airplane which is a taildragger, but I found this picture of a Teenie II to show what a Teenie looks like.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	54395_548.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	33741  
Old 02-11-2003, 12:14 AM
daren
My Feedback: (4)

why dont you just get in it a fly it ! It would be alot more fun then standing on the ground and flying it.
Old 02-11-2003, 01:50 AM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

I doubt you will get a waiver, but just contact the AMA directly. They will know exactly who you should talk to.

The waiver is only required if you plan on flying it at an AMA sanctioned event, or affiliated flying field. I don't think most CD's would allow it, so the waiver might be a moot point to begin with.

If you want to fly it, and can't get the waiver, just find a very large piece of land, far from the public, get permission to use the land, and go for it. Just plan for safety, and make sure you video tape it so we can all share in the first few flights.

Crazy you are. But, well, I'd like to see it fly myself It would be a fun engineering project.
Old 02-11-2003, 03:33 AM
wingspan99

Default Flying 480lb model

Daren I really don't want to get into this particular plane, it's a bit overweight empty. It would be fine RC though. I'm working on an ultralight and another experimental plane for me to fly in.
Stephen is thinking what I was. I was thinking I could find a place to fly it away from everything and have fun. I have been working with wireless video links lately so I could get an aerial perspective as well as watch the gauges remotely. It would definitely be an engineering feat.
Old 02-11-2003, 04:17 AM
sfaust

A friend of mine flys RC ultralights for the government. His 'private' (I'm always jealous of this) field is close enough to our regular field that he has a reserved channel. When he isn't flying back and forth to who knows where, he flys the "little" stuff with us!

From what I know, he uses fairly stock ultralights, and converts them for RC use. Not sure what type of equipment he uses. I guess its nice to have the government behind him, which means he doesn't need the AMA insurance or waivers
Old 02-11-2003, 04:46 AM
wingspan99

Default How nice

Some of us have to work for a living. Converting ultralights for RC use just doesn't sound like something the government should pay for, I'd do it for free!
If I thought I could get more money for the Teenie as an RC plane, I'd do it. I haven't been able to sell it, I thought maybe I could get my money's worth out of it by converting it to RC. The engine is fairly decent, a little small for my experimental project, a KR-2S.
Hey nice Decathalon project. I assume you've seen the 75% Extra RC project. It's got an HKS engine, not a cheap engine.
I think the UL engine I have would be great in a 75% Extra, it's 45hp and only 89lbs with the redrive.
-Tom
Old 02-11-2003, 12:43 PM
sfaust

I've seen the Extra, or was it a Staudacher. Another interesting project. Almost worth jumping in and flying it.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:53 PM
Luke 3D

Souldn't be a problem. There are aircraft that fly at the shows that are only a bit smaller
Steve Hollands comet and the biplanes are similar in size to that thing.
Old 02-11-2003, 06:15 PM
wingspan99

Default Reliability has to be proven

Perhaps after a flyoff period it might would be welcome at shows. Balance might be difficult to achieve with the VW since the pilot's weight is usually about 24 inches behind the CG. I have a lighter engine I could use up front, a 430cc UL engine w/reduction drive.
Old 02-11-2003, 07:25 PM
Fly4Fun2
My Feedback: (25)

In the States - experimental RC class goes up to 110 lbs. This means that you are probably going to find it very difficult to get a waiver. The second option is outside insurance - not sure where you would get that or the costs.

In Europe - weights in excess of 55 lbs are not uncommon and several exceed 110lbs. If you get a chance, watch teh La Ferte' videos from SKS or Propwash. There is a small twin (I can't remember the name but will think of is as soon as I post this I am sure!) experimental plane which was converted to RC.
Old 02-11-2003, 07:55 PM
sfaust

Originally posted by Fly4Fun2
In the States - experimental RC class goes up to 110 lbs. This means that you are probably going to find it very difficult to get a waiver. The second option is outside insurance - not sure where you would get that or the costs.
There are also third and fourth options available. He can self insure himself, or he can fly with no insurance at all. To the best of my knowledge, there is no law or requirement that say hes needs insurance at all. The only requirements that he will face are those imposed by land owners, or the FAA if they decide that its no longer an RC model airplane, but falls into some other FAA or military regulations.
Old 02-11-2003, 08:00 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Fly4Fun2

In Europe - weights in excess of 55 lbs are not uncommon and several exceed 110lbs. If you get a chance, watch teh La Ferte' videos from SKS or Propwash. There is a small twin (I can't remember the name but will think of is as soon as I post this I am sure!) experimental plane which was converted to RC.
A Cri Cri?
Old 02-11-2003, 09:09 PM
Fly4Fun2
My Feedback: (25)

Yep - Cri Cri is correct - I kept thinking cricket. Thanks, that would have bugged me all day (sorry for the pun!)

As for self-insure or no insure - true, this is an option. I guess everyone has their own risk tolerances.