Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

What type of paint?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

What type of paint?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 04:31 PM
bdphil
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What type of paint?

I have a few questions about painting a plane. The plane I'm building has a glass fuse and I'm not sure what type of use. I'm planning on using automotive paint, but do I need enamel, laquer, urethane, etc.? Does anyone know what the applications for each type are? I would like to use spray cans, but I have a friend that could shoot it with spray equipment.

I also need a finish that will stand up to gasoline and smoke oil.

Thanks,

Ben
Old 02-12-2003, 01:58 PM
1/4 flyboy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DUPONT CENTARI it doesn't get much better.I use it all the time about $32.00 a quart then you will need hardner and reducer nice stuff to work with. good luck.
Old 02-13-2003, 03:03 PM
Fly4Fun2
My Feedback: (25)

Any of the Autopaints work very well. Tony Stillman sells PPG Concept paints which are already matched to monokote and ultrakote. If you need a different color - just send it to him and he will match it. Many autoparts store can do this as well. My local one has tried before, but never could get it quite right.

Look under RC Colors the the Radio South web site or give him a call. He also sells a "Spray can" applicator. The spray guns will look better, but this will work for small areas. He also sells the paints, clears, primers, etc. in smaller quantities so that you save money and don't waste as much. I am doing a 40% Carden Edge - single color for everthing was abuot $125. Multiple colors would not be that much more as the color part is cheap. The same system through my paint store was closer to $300 due to the sizes I had to buy. I realize the post above mentions $32/quart, but when you add in the hardners, reducers, primers, clear, etc - you are looking at the same price range as PPG products.

Also - this stuff is highly toxic. You need a respriator and a well ventilated paint booth. DO NOT TRY TO DO IT IN YOUR WORKSHOP WITHOUT PROTECTION. You can do serious damage to your lungs in a very short period of time.
Old 02-13-2003, 03:49 PM
bdphil
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks for all the suggestions!

I have quite a bit of painting experience, but only with hobby paints, Nelson, Cheveron, and a few others. This will be my first attempt at painting an entire plane.

Using a respirator is a definite. My workshop also has a 16' door so ventilation won't be a problem.

After looking around for awhile I decided to use House of Kolor paints. I ordered them from CoastAirbrush. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Ben
Old 02-16-2003, 04:50 AM
susquach
My Feedback: (1)

bdphil,

just a word of caution, a garden variaty resparator won't do it. You need an air supply if shooting in a confined space. Shooting outside, standing up wind is a much better idea. Hold your breath when working up close.

Ddubya
Old 02-16-2003, 06:32 PM
Goggles
My Feedback: (4)

Fly4fun, How can we get a hold of this guy?
Old 02-16-2003, 09:50 PM
3DwanaB

Default PPG Paint

Tony Stillman can be reached at radiosouthrc.com

Look under Custom Paint and then R/C Flying Colors. You can even get the paint in a spray can according to their website.

Take Care
Old 02-17-2003, 04:11 AM
Goggles
My Feedback: (4)

PERFECT!! Exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks.

Kelvin.