Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

70% Raven wingspan 17 ft.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 12:20 PM
vypr
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 70% Raven wingspan 17 ft.

wow... that is awesome. Not inly am I flabbergasted by the scale to which you've built that thing, the plane itself is awesome too.

I hate the stock raven scheme, but with that blue/yellow/silver, it is a beautiful aircraft!
Old 08-29-2004, 07:33 PM
Ryan Nau
My Feedback: (54)

Wow thats big and neat. Awesome. How about just make a 100% Scale Aerobatic plane. 70% or whatever isnt that far off.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:20 PM
Daryl Martel
My Feedback: (3)

Not to rain on anybodies parade here, but let me just broach a delicate topic... You'll see elsewhere in several threads right now the recent incident in which control was lost of a 42% plane on takeoff which hit a guy almost killing him. Elsewhere in a few other threads discussion regarding the crash Sunday with the 8 turbine B-52 going in. Yes, big planes are very cool and I really do appreciate those with the wallet and building skills to get there. I can't but help wonder though at what point it's too much? 70% size and a 684cc 60HP engine is truly well into Ultralight class - heck, many Piper Cubs only have 65HP and they'll carry two people! These bigger projects are really starting to push the limits of sanity. For the record, I have a 23 Lb G-62 powered plane and can't even imagine 600+cc - sure makes those 100 and 150cc TOC planes look kind of small! You have to jump through all kinds of certification hoops with a small aircraft to ensure the engineering is safe and that it's properly designed, yet to a certain extent if you have the bucks you can buy a giant plane and go flying! Lets be honest here - we all know that there are people with deep pockets buying partly or fully prefabricated giant scale planes. Not to say that they're not accomplished pilots, or knowledgeable about maintaining and operating these big planes safely, but you have to wonder where we're going with all this. I'll tell you, at 23 Lbs and with that 62cc Zenoah in my big gasser, I'm very conscious of the increased danger it poses. That big engine in that 42% broke that guys leg in 3 places and almost cut his leg off! I got talking one day with a guy that stuck his hand in the prop of a .60 at idle and it took two finger tips off at the first knuckles - a .60! I don't believe in safety getting in the way of having fun, but I can't help but think that this rash of bad accidents within the last year aren't doing the hobby any good... I know in Canada, MAAC, our governing body (similar to AMA) is very concerned about continueing to be able to get affordable insurance coverage. I realise very few people are going to go out and build or buy something as big as this 70% Raven, but you do have to wonder at what point maybe we're pushing our luck - there has been quite a few real bad accidents within the last year or so, and quite a few other close calls with considerable potential.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:07 AM
SLINGSHOT-RCU

Now thats a nice plane.. Good luck on first flight, wish i could be there to see it,
Old 08-31-2004, 10:20 AM
bvmjethead
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: Daryl Martel

Not to rain on anybodies parade here, but let me just broach a delicate topic...

Not to rain on your parade, but with this attitude we'd have never gotten to the moon.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:43 AM
Tiger
My Feedback: (7)

And we still may not if the insurance comanies run us all out of the hobby.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:05 AM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

ORIGINAL: Daryl Martel
Not to rain on anybodies parade here, but let me just broach a delicate topic... You'll see elsewhere in several threads right now the recent incident in which control was lost of a 42% plane on takeoff which hit a guy almost killing him. Elsewhere in a few other threads discussion regarding the crash Sunday with the 8 turbine B-52 going in. Yes, big planes are very cool and I really do appreciate those with the wallet and building skills to get there. I can't but help wonder though at what point it's too much? 70% size and a 684cc 60HP engine is truly well into Ultralight class - heck, many Piper Cubs only have 65HP and they'll carry two people! These bigger projects are really starting to push the limits of sanity. For the record, I have a 23 Lb G-62 powered plane and can't even imagine 600+cc - sure makes those 100 and 150cc TOC planes look kind of small! You have to jump through all kinds of certification hoops with a small aircraft to ensure the engineering is safe and that it's properly designed, yet to a certain extent if you have the bucks you can buy a giant plane and go flying! Lets be honest here - we all know that there are people with deep pockets buying partly or fully prefabricated giant scale planes. Not to say that they're not accomplished pilots, or knowledgeable about maintaining and operating these big planes safely, but you have to wonder where we're going with all this. I'll tell you, at 23 Lbs and with that 62cc Zenoah in my big gasser, I'm very conscious of the increased danger it poses. That big engine in that 42% broke that guys leg in 3 places and almost cut his leg off! I got talking one day with a guy that stuck his hand in the prop of a .60 at idle and it took two finger tips off at the first knuckles - a .60! I don't believe in safety getting in the way of having fun, but I can't help but think that this rash of bad accidents within the last year aren't doing the hobby any good... I know in Canada, MAAC, our governing body (similar to AMA) is very concerned about continueing to be able to get affordable insurance coverage. I realise very few people are going to go out and build or buy something as big as this 70% Raven, but you do have to wonder at what point maybe we're pushing our luck - there has been quite a few real bad accidents within the last year or so, and quite a few other close calls with considerable potential.
Daryl, please get all the facts, before using accidents/incidents in this way. There have been and there always will be accidents in any activity you chose to participate in. I would hope that people who get into GS planes have the experience, knowledge and aptitude needed to operate them as safely as possible. If flying at AMA sanctioned sites or events, officials have a responsibility to prevent accidents caused by inexperienced users. I try to do my best in educating people when they get into GS planes, and I think they are doing some things in a less than desirable way. Yes, you will perhaps have the situations where somebody's wallet is bigger than their knowledge, or lets just call it, that somebody acts very irresponsible, and somebody gets hurt. Like with everything else in life, there is a difference between accidents happening because a bunch of unforeseen circumstances, and the accidents that happen out of recklessness. The guy who stuck his hand in the prop on a .60 size, well, that was dumb, only he could have prevented that. When dealing with GS aircraft, the only time I'm in front of it is when flipping to start the engine, at idle, then I immediately move behind it, and we do not reach over the prop, or other dumb stuff so many people with less experience do. Unfortunately common sense is not all that common, but if somebody gets hurt because of recklessness=no common sense, there should be retribution, but against the person, not the hobby. If you use your automobile/baseball bat/shovel/etc. as a weapon, the retribution is against you. There will be accidents, keep that in mind when among other people and live with it, or stay isolated your whole life.
DKjens
Old 08-31-2004, 11:11 AM
mAvRiCk-inactive

Well said...Get the maiden of this beast on video
Old 08-31-2004, 02:55 PM
Daryl Martel
My Feedback: (3)

DKjens - what facts am I missing? The numbers speak for themselves. Things have changed - 10 years ago we didn't have the abundance of 200-300 MPH turbine powered jets and 40% scale big gas planes we have nowadays. Bigger flys better, but it comes with additional risk. When a .40 or .60 size glow powered plane goes in there's rarely a fire - not so with the bigger stuff. Bigger planes make bigger holes when they crash. These are the facts as I see it. The number of accidents and possible associated "perceived" risk by underwriters is nothing to sneeze about, especially when the law gets involved. If you don't think there will be an investigation after a major accident involving death or serious injury you're mistaken. Hopefully such investigations don't result in false conclusions which could jeopardize the hobby for the majority. I do think that the vast majority of people in the hobby, particularly operating the bigger more expensive stuff, are extremely professional, knowledgeable and safety minded. This is why I pose the question how big is too big and where does it stop? Please don't get me wrong - I don't for a second think we should freeze RC development or progress, but I can't help but feel we're starting to walk a thin line here. DKjens - maybe you don't have all the facts - here in North America there have already been a few very unpleasant accidents involving both death and serious injury currently under investigation you may not be aware of. Not all of the accidents make it to the forum for discussion - enough said. Do we police ourselves or wait for the boot to fall? Lets have fun out there but be safety minded is all I'm saying. I'm a mechanic in full sized aviation where safety is paramount and the big stuff is actually engineered and certified.
Old 08-31-2004, 04:30 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

Let's not come down on Daryl because he voices his opinion...he has a legitimate concern.

Getting back to the intended topic...

weimo, congratulations on your outstanding work! Can you fill us in on the electrical system used and the number and type of receivers? Also, has the 3W engine been run? What size prop are you using? Thanks!
Old 08-31-2004, 05:19 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dayrl,

I agree with you a hundred percent on all the comments you made in regard to safety and model size. Recently a poster posted video showing himself flying from the back of truck down a rural highway somewhere in the midwest USA. I pointed out that stunts like this should not be applauded but shuned. No other posters agreed with me.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:24 PM
DKjens
My Feedback: (50)

ORIGINAL: ptgarcia
Let's not come down on Daryl because he voices his opinion...he has a legitimate concern.
Who's coming down on who? Many people have expressed their opinions about the accident in question, before a 1st hand account had been given. As it turns out, it didn't happen the way it was first described, it actually happened very much in a different way, so all the opinions expressed based on the first post, are pretty moot. I could go as far as to say, that until an investigation has determined and publicized what caused the failure, the accident shouldn't really be used in any arguments, because it is only hearsay.
DKjens
Old 08-31-2004, 05:57 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

It doesn't matter what caused the "incident". The fact remains...a remotely controlled aircraft struck a man and caused serious injury! There's no debating this. Too many more "incidents" such as this and outside agencies will begin to intervene. I don't think anyone wants this to happen. That leaves the modelling community the task of preventing this from occurring. I'm not saying how, but it is something we will need to face all too soon.
Old 08-31-2004, 05:59 PM
JohnVH
My Feedback: (38)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

last year a trainer killed a person also.

Fly whatever you want, just be careful
Old 08-31-2004, 08:44 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: ptgarcia

It doesn't matter what caused the "incident". The fact remains...a remotely controlled aircraft struck a man and caused serious injury! There's no debating this. Too many more "incidents" such as this and outside agencies will begin to intervene. I don't think anyone wants this to happen. That leaves the modelling community the task of preventing this from occurring. I'm not saying how, but it is something we will need to face all too soon.

Can we stick to the subject matter which about a wonderfull airplane..

Thank you.
Roger
Old 09-01-2004, 09:21 AM
SLINGSHOT-RCU

Roger is right, lets talk about that nice Raven. How heavy is it.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:23 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Have any of these models (it feels strange calling something this big a model) flown yet. If so how was the performance and are there any videos.
I read at the start of this post that there may be a kit available. What if I wanted to buy one of these models ready to fly. Is this something that is possible and if so what sort of cost am I looking at for a complete ready to fly package.
Old 09-05-2004, 10:08 AM
Breakstuff5050

Hi, im a little late entering the conversation and i havent had time to read everything but i live in the u.s. (nc) and i have a 33% raven, the guy i bought it from also has a 47% raven that hasnt been built yet. Here is some pics of mine. Youll need to tell me how to load a picture. That is, if ya want to see it.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:47 PM
maxboostbusa

I know this is a super old post, but I am looking for a video of the huge raven. I found one a year or so ago but I cant find it now. I thought it was on raven520 but I cant remember, its not there. Anybody have it?

I got it now thanks.