Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.
View Poll Results: A poll
M-11
46.67%
3PK
53.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Futaba or Airtronics

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 03:33 PM
Steve Walters

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba or Airtronics

Between these two Radio's what one do you like better, and why? I'm leaning toward the M11. A lot of drivers are using this one at my local track with good success, but I'm hearing a lot of good things about the Futaba too.

I would like to hear the Pros & Cons different drivers have had with one or both...

I will be using it in a 1/8 scale buggy. (8IGHT)

Here are the links to the radios.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/radios/futj2900.html

http://www.airtronics.net/M11.htm

Thanks

Steve
Old 10-29-2006, 07:35 PM
Doahh

Default RE: Futaba or Airtronics

Use what more people at your track use... if your the only one with a 3pk and you need help and don't have the manual your probably screwed
Old 10-29-2006, 10:30 PM
Rs43EVOman

Ok im taking this from a completely unbiased view. I reccmend you get the 3PK over the M11. Ive owned both, and the M11 is a good radio, but it just doesnt seem to meet the standard the 3Pk set. The only downside i can find to the 3pk is it eats batteries, but so does the M11, so your not gonna be able to run away from that problem. But with the bettery that comes with the 3pk you can get plenty of run-time. and if you really want to the best pack is the VrX li-po pack it lasts at least 4 hours and is much lighter then the stock battery. My current set-up is a futaba 3PK PCM in my 1/8th buggy. Im defiently upgrading to futabas 2.4GhZ Faast system. It makes the futaba 3pk fully synth and is even faster then the spektrum HRs futaba 2.4GHZ reciever and module. also if you plan oin racing (which you defiently are) i reccomend you get the synthesized version so you never have to worry about having to wait at the track for your frequecny to be clear

When i frst got mine it felt great in my hands (ive got big hands, so small radios feel cramped at times). then i realizd the radio came with the wheel adpater thing that drps the wheel. I remebered that basically every single pro-futaba driver used it, so i decided "heck why not" after driving the car with the adapter for 1/2 hour ir ealized why they all sue it, it really feels awesome.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:15 PM
Nomadio_Sales

WEIGHT get the one that weighs the least No need for a heavy hand control both are great radios and will serve you well but in the long run you want a radio that fits YOU and YOUR hand. Not to mention what you want to spend.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:18 AM
Nitro_Moe

M11 for sure..... [8D]

The screen is positioned in the right place for you to make all your adjustments easily. Unlike the 3PK, you'd have to twist and turn the radio just to look at the screen. Besides, I don't think wieght is that much of an issue. Just adjust your neck strap, if you're using one, to a postion where it just hangs right for your driving position.

Good luck..
Old 11-06-2006, 03:27 PM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Futaba, no doubt

Ryan
Old 11-08-2006, 09:36 PM
zimzalahbim
My Feedback: (8)

the 3pk has a nicely balanced feel to me. the radio feels solid, is very user friendly, and if you ever need to wop another driver over the head, you have a nice long antenna to do it with. [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 11-21-2006, 09:11 PM
chowderhead72
My Feedback: (4)

Over and over again 3PK!

Reasons:
1. The 3pk has pcm "pulse code modulation"
A. Benifits: Signal is coded so the reciever will only accept pcm signal on your channel.
1.What that means to you: If someone else is running ppm (jr,ko,airtronics,rtr fm or cheap futaba (3pm)) on your channel you will not be affected however you now have full control of both cars (yours and his)
B. Bennifits: Built in failsafe
1.What that means to you: You will never have to buy or program another failsafe. In my experience the pcm failsafe works faster than any other failsafe I have used. The spectrum failsafe (dx3) is the slowest

2.The 3pk is useable or adaptable to all rc modulation types.
1. without purchasing additional modules the 3pk will transmit PCM, HRS, PPM No other radio can say that.
a. What that means to you: You can use futaba pcm recievers, Futaba HRS recievers, futaba PPM recievers or Novak recievers.
1. Please note if either ppm reciever is used you will need a seperate failsafe.
2. with the purchase of additional modules the 3pk will:
a. transmit AM which is appearantly the only way to use a great radio with the Kyosho mini-z series.
b. Transmit spectrum (2.4g) with the purchase of either the kit made by spectrum or the new high speed kit made by Futaba.

3. The 3pk has third channel mixing
1. Benifits:
a. useful in large scales where multiple braking systems are used to apply the front brakes a selectable number of milliseconds after the rear brakes. (just like the proportioning valve does in your full scale car.
b. useful in crawlers where multiple steering systems are used (front and rear steer) with the push of a few buttons you can go from both axles steering right at the same time (better for higher speeds) to axles turning different directions (better for low speed crawling.

4. The 3pk comes with a rechargable battery pack and charger standard.
1. benifits
a. saves batteries (and the enviornment)
b. all other raidios (except the nomadio; I think) will cost you another $40-70 for a rechargable pack.

5. It is a Futaba product.
1. Benifit: Rock solid reputation and durability (can sanwa/airtronics say this?)

If all of these features mean nothing to you before buying the M11 hold,feel, and use the the KO Helios; Nothing feels better nor wins as many races....Not even Futaba.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:18 PM
chowderhead72

Check out the new update version of the 3PK[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLXS6**&P=ML]3pks[/link]
Old 11-21-2006, 10:57 PM
Nomadio_Sales

1. The 3pk has pcm "pulse code modulation"
ALL MOOT with 2.4GHz PCM is SLOW 70s technology! As the data packets have to see the check sum from the packet before it to move the servos very slow and if you reject enough packets you get PCM lock up.

2.The 3pk is useable or adaptable to all rc modulation types
The Multiplex Profi line will go AM / FM, IPD (better then PCM) all synth at a full 60Hz so if you want to have all the 75Hz am or FM headaches you can have your pick in one TX.

However you can get more on 2.4Ghz Check out the FASST system from Futaba and or the Airtronics 2.4G (which is faster 100Hz then the Futaba Fasst system even on HRS 75Hz) or yes I am biased the React from Nomadio faster them all of them and more features like a USB game port direct connect, USB in the field updates to the software, 4ch and more mixing them either Futaba or Airtronics, less weight and comes with re-chargable cells and USB charge capability, 40 model memory and built in telemetry for $299.00
Old 11-22-2006, 12:50 AM
chowderhead72

I thought the topic at hand was 3pk vs M11; is it not? Hate the 70's tech of pcm or not I personally have never seen a pcm failure. 2.4g has had a hard road with products that were released before adequate testing numerous runaways and horrid glitching when used indoors on carpet.
Old 11-22-2006, 01:04 AM
Nomadio_Sales

I have seen PLENTY of PCM lock outs and run aways more then I have witnessed from 2.4Ghz by far and away. I have been doing this from the mid 70s. BTW MPX was the first to bring out PCM and they were the first to do away with it in favor of IPD. But I digress.

You can get or soon will be able to get the Airtronics or Futaba on 2.4GHz
Old 11-22-2006, 01:39 AM
chowderhead72

First off I have no vested interest in any of these radio products. Wasn't 2.4g outlawed in europe in large scale racing due to runaways? Why is nomadio less than 18 months old and already on its second full revision of it's reciever? Your firmware is completly updateable correct? So does that mean the first generation hardware was so bad not even a software patch could band-aid it enough to retain it's merchantibility? Further why has 2.4g recievd such a cold welcome into the air market and Futaba pcm remains the gold standard. If nomadio has such amazing speed why has it not been seen on the podiums at any of the national events?
Old 11-22-2006, 02:11 AM
rcxboy

Technically the Spektrum DX6 is illegal in europe, but i think that's because of a mW limit on 2.4ghz

No, 2.4ghz has not been outlawed in europe....

2.4ghz in the air market? Until VERY recently, there was only the Spektrum DX6, which was limited to park flyers because of range... Some swore by it, some swore at it, but those problems should be fixed in later revisions. This stuff is pretty new.. Now the DX7 is out, full-range and fully programmable.. it should be pretty popular. No more shoot-downs!

Not really a cold welcome.

Oh, btw, there isn't anything wrong with releasing a new revision of the rx. There's always something to make better, i think in this case it was size.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:11 AM
chowderhead72

HMMM? Illegal in Europe but not outlawed? How does that work? 2.4g was and continues to be outlawed in any UK BRCA fifth scale races. 2.4g is illegal across the board in japan as well.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:05 PM
Nomadio_Sales

No ChowderHead 2.4GHhz was not outlawed in Europe in fact it is EFRA approved where are you getting this junk data? Hessle Roskam #1 in Holland 1:5 scale for 2006 secured in 4 races out of the 5 race series with NOMADIO! #1 in France 1:5 scale as well in fact Large scale is where we rock because of the mixing needed and the ignition motors need 2.4GHz for secure RF link.

We made the V2 receiver smaller because the V1 was too large, there are very few V1s out there in fact we gave FREE V2s to every one who got a V1. So what is your point?

Chowderhead Nomadio has WON 6 FIRST PLACE National titles this year not with a graft in RF deck but with our radio in total, Thanks for asking!

For aircraft 2.4Ghz will be the norm as it is becoming in surface.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:15 PM
Nomadio_Sales

Chowderhead best talk to BRCA your data is not correct.

Also in Japan it is accepted now.

BTW I race a RS5 1:5 scale,

Nomadio did quite well at the 2006 ROAR 1:5 scale Nats BTW

Eric TQ GT and STC Nomadio

Eric 1st GT Nomadio
Raffa 2nd GT Nomadio

Eric 2nd STC Nomadio

Matt Olmon 3rd F-1 Nomadio

I had a blast bumped from B main to A in STC and came in 6th
GT came in 6th all on the same set of GRP tires and the "Karlton Proof" RS5. Once more thanks to MMR and all those who came and made this a great race.

Oh Austin was BEYOND fast he was a machine.

TO GET this thread BACK on topic the FASST system should be back in stock soon in the USA sales are booming.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:40 AM
chowderhead72

Wow Alot has changed since april Huh?
From YOUR post on rctek.

do not know what the hold up is over there. The telem is a concern as I have heard. I understand in Japan there is no 2.4 GHZ for R/C use allowed either. Just one of those things 2.4 GHz is the future I hope England allows it soon in racing.

We did have some program issues not related to the ignitions but those are all solved. the nice thing about the Sensor as new software is developed you simply download it for free hence your radio gets better and better.

Old 11-23-2006, 12:44 AM
chowderhead72

I guess Ian Oddified is wrong too? I belive he may know a thing or two about large scale; what do you think?

The brca large scale officials are enforcing what was voted on at the agm by the racers. The 2.4g systems were discussed, fors and against and then a vote was taken, which was not to allow them for 2006. If there's a proposal submitted at this years agm regarding the 2.4 systems then it will be discussed again and voted on. Again this will come down to what the racers present on the day want/vote for.

All the brca rules are democratically discussed and voted on, if people don't like what is/has been voted (on any subject), maybe they should consider attending the agm....

Ian.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:29 AM
Nomadio_Sales

Yes things do change from April. Please post the proper quote with link and dates so people are not out of context as the cut and past job above.

Well my good friend Ian's very old post on RCTEK you cut and pasted is not getting you and the readers here the proper up to date data see the BRCA rules as they are and please stop bashing 2.4Ghz. with out of date cut and pasted chat room posts that are not form the rule book data.
http://www.largechair.com/main.php?pg=rules2007
(23) RADIO SYSTEMS

All radio frequencies must be either 40 or 27 MHz, Am or Fm, or 2.4 GHz. If a driver books in on 2.4 GHz and has a problem then it is on the onus of the driver to arrange with Race Control to change to a 40 or 27 Mhz crystal. Under these circumstances a driver cannot request a delay in order to change crystal. The driver must ensure that they have sufficient crystals so as not to clash with any other driver placed either above or below them.
I am so glad to race in the USA and not the UK aren't you your profile states you are not in Japan or the UK correct? BRCA in the UK is akin to ROAR we have been selling into the UK for a year now. Yes even before April because it was and is legal to run 2.4GHz in the UK. BRCA did not have 2.4 in LARGE scale cars (1:5 and 1:6) because no one asked for it in the large scale section of 2006 rule book. All other scale it was fine. You forgot to mention that.

Now to be on Topic can you tell us about the Airtronics or Futaba 2.4Ghz systems? If not I will be happy to tell you they are both great! Much better then 75MHz PCM!

I would say the Airtronics 2.4 over the Futaba 2.4 because of the speed of the Airtronics is 100Hz Futaba is 75Hz on HRS mode.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:13 PM
chowderhead72

First off the topic was Futaba 3pk vs Airtronics m11 the only mention of Nomadio was in regards to the fact that it also comes with a rechargeable battery pack (positive point that I made for you) So I assume this gives you the inclination that I opened the door for you to HIJACK this thread and SPAM your product. No one asked about your product; PERIOD!

Great for Nomadio that you have recieved endorsements in your harder to convince markets and also a few podium visits; kudos.

Before I bought my first 3pk the sensor was high on my list of possibilities; actually the sensor and the 3pk were the final two choices but the 3pk won due to versatility and price. Among the group I am usally the one sticking up for the Nomadio system and it may very well be my next system. The biggest complaint I hear about it is that it looks funky or that it is too light to balance correctly; personally I like the way it looks and I also like the fact it is the uncommon underdog but then again I believe I am competent enough to program my own radio without the need for assitance from others in my group, but hey that's just me.
Old 11-24-2006, 10:46 AM
Nomadio_Sales

If you were so concerned you can go to PM or Email you just like bashing 2.4 which both the 3PK and M11 will come on so on topic, I still say the Airtronics 2.4GHz because it is faster.
PM me if you need a response.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:47 PM
tadecker

ORIGINAL: chowderhead72

3. The 3pk has third channel mixing
1. Benifits:
a. useful in large scales where multiple braking systems are used to apply the front brakes a selectable number of milliseconds after the rear brakes. (just like the proportioning valve does in your full scale car.
b. useful in crawlers where multiple steering systems are used (front and rear steer) with the push of a few buttons you can go from both axles steering right at the same time (better for higher speeds) to axles turning different directions (better for low speed crawling.

The M11 wins this plus, it has 3rd and 4th channel mixing for the braking.

Nomadio: are you guys making the system for Airtronics?? and if so will it have the telemetry that your systems have?
Old 04-08-2007, 09:40 AM
mycarisaser

I also have a m11 but the spektrum module roe it is really bad. Very poor range. The fm module gets better reception. I gave my spektrum system away. (it was that bad) I set it back to spectrum twice for them to tell me that nothing is wronge with it. I am selling my m11 so I can get a nomadio b/c no matter what radio I use(m11 w/spektrum and fm,m8 with both,and jrxs3) my lst2 always jams itself into reverse when it gets any distance. I just want something that works .
Old 04-09-2007, 10:54 PM
RCtruckRacer

Oh man! Someone pass the popcorn!!!