Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Magnum 46cc Ignition Interference

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 01:08 AM
tonye5797

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum 46cc Ignition Interference

Can anyone help?

Just installed a new Magnum g46, 46cc gas engine.
Seem to be getting radio interference from the ignition module.
I'm using a standard JR 9ch PCM receiver.
Have tried earthing the ignition module to the engine but this has not solved the issue.
The reciever is not near the ignition, and the throtle is using a nylon push rod.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:48 AM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

Default RE: Magnum 46cc Ignition Interference

I don't know the engine you mention, but what about the spark plugs? Are they resistor plugs? I once had a problem like yours which was cured when I changed the plugs out to resistor type.

Safe Flying!
Old 12-31-2006, 07:59 AM
Cryhavoc
My Feedback: (46)

I've never heard of that engine either. Any more info on it?
Old 12-31-2006, 11:05 PM
tonye5797

Its apparently marketed as a ASP G46, it's not as light as a DA50 but the same size. It hase a blue iodised crankcase and silver aloy head and sleave. Equiped with a very large bore Walbro Carb and a mechanical advance timing, that is conected to the throttle lever. I'm trying to find some more info.

I'll check the sparkplug.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:18 PM
tonye5797

the plug is a TORCH BM6A
Old 12-31-2006, 11:28 PM
tonye5797

The box and operating instructions are labled, Magnum 46cc Gasoline Engine with Welbro carb, and mechanical throttle coupled CDI ignition system.

The Instruction manual shows a picture with the following on the ignition box "CD electronic ignition, sy machinery co. ltd, made in china"

The motor itself has no markings or stickers etc.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:39 AM
cuwaert

I saw a picture of it on some site, seems to me like another G45, THOR....like engine,anyway the cilinder seems the very same. The guys who make those cilinders are doing big business. Cranckcase is different it appears. I very much would appreciate more info about this engine families and how they perform. I got a G45i..and I hope I will succeed to use it.
So you have ignition interferance. That's a very unpredictible thing beause I see that many G45 users?? (if there are any) have that too even doing all the wright things to avoid it. If there's anything on that engine I don't have trouble with then it is the ignition even when I broke some rules setting it up for what interferance is concerned. I got a very long wire to the ignition battery that is in the tail of my modell (for cg reasons) running less than 10cm from my receiver and no interference at all. I must say I put an extra common mode filter in this wire directly after the CDI. Sparkplug is a TorchL6RTC.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:12 AM
blikseme300
My Feedback: (118)

ORIGINAL: tonye5797

the plug is a TORCH BM6A
Tony

I did a google on the above plug and all I can discover is that this plug is commonly used on mini scooters and such. From the number it seems NOT to be a resistor type. I went and had a look at the plug that my 1st G45i came with - the same. I had a similar problems with interference and not knowing the plug, changed it out with a Bosch WSR6F. This was the cure. I got these plugs from my local chainsaw repair store @ USD3.95 each.

Safe Flying!

Old 01-05-2007, 07:31 PM
tonye5797

looks like it was the plug. thanks everyone.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:06 PM
jeffEE
My Feedback: (5)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I love this place. I had the same problem, new Xmas toy( not a toy I know) and take a look on RCuniverse. BINGO, the right answers to a good question. Thanks to all of you.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:32 PM
Newalan

I did a google on the above plug and all I can discover is that this plug is commonly used on mini scooters and such. From the number it seems NOT to be a resistor type.
The TORCH Spark Plug you mention is in fact the resistor type, the fact that it is Made in China, may be the cause of the problem due to inferior quality. All spark plugs with a letter "R" in their part number are supposed to be resistor plugs.

But like I said the plug you mentioned is chinese, so god knows what "R" stands for? (reject maybe) Try US or European equivelant plugs with "R" in the part number. Do make sure to compare it with the one that comes with the engine.
Old 04-21-2007, 09:44 AM
Prapan

ASP Gas Engine 46 cc was also available here in Bangkok, Thailand and the price is so cheap and quality out look / appearance is looked nice as well. I saw there are three persons used this engine and has to change the spark plug to be RESISTOR type.

If owner of engine can post your photo of engine that would be good to check it with my side.
Hope this helps, Prapan.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:08 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Prapan: What is the price on the 46 Magnum? Thanks Capt,n