Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Workings of the pickup coil?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 08:16 AM
patriktegelberg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Workings of the pickup coil?

Hello.

I have a zenoah 260 pum. I want to know the inner workings of the pickup coil. Seems the flywheel has three magnets, how are they oriented, alternating polarity? Are there any electronics to handle the timing. Is there a capacitor to store the charge. Is the charge generated in one or two steps. How big is the capacitor, what voltage does it typically reach at what rpm. Is the electronics programmed to a rpm dependent ignition curve. The pulses through the coil has some shape and duration that will wary vith rpm, what is the trigger criteria used by the electronics to achieve consistent timing. When does the spark fire in relation to when the magnets passes the coil.

I guess I will not get answers to all the above questions. An alternative question could be: Are any of the below statements correct?

The flywheel has three magnets. The first set used to charge a capacitor and the second set used by the electronics to immediately discharge the charge through the transformer coil.

The flywheel has three magnets. Both sets charge the capacitor through a rectifier. The electronics has a rpm dependent delay after which it discharges the cap through the transformer.

When writing this I get the feeling the first statement is the most plausible.

Regards Patrik
Old 05-05-2007, 09:28 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Workings of the pickup coil?

Why do you want to know this? I'm just curious.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:09 AM
patriktegelberg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny, when I had written my question and left, I got the feeling that the answer I would get was exactly that and started thinking up a reply but could not formulate one. To me the question is more like: why do not everybody want to know this? I am kind of a physicist/engineer/mechanic/electronic/designer/.... I have built an ignition system once for a puls jet and now I am about to modify my engine. I will use the stock ignition but I like to sense the engine or boat or whatever I am R&Ding. I have designed my own hull and am now about to design another. I guess I am just weird or there about.

Be well

[link=http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=patriktegelberg]http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=patriktegelberg[/link]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41708.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	678101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41357.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	678102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76979.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	678103   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oi14304.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	678104  
Old 05-05-2007, 10:35 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I commend your curiosity.

If it works, I'm happy. I'm not the kind of guy who needs to know exactly why everything works the way it does. I'm focused on the internal workings of the 2-stroke, rather than the ignition system.

It would be cool to see someone actually post diagrams and the physics behind why a magneto ignition works. But, I doubt I'd understand it.

When it comes to electronic stuff in this hobby--there's only one thing that matters to me. Does it work? If it does--then don't screw with it. If it doesn't, then go buy a different/new one. I hate screwing with stuff that doesn't work.

Good luck. I hope someone can answer your question.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:33 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

p-k-berg: I have done boats also, For about 4 years. The one you desighned looks like a fast one for sure. Has anyone ever tried a gas/glow engine in one yet? You would not need to worry about a spark plug miss-fire at all. It may have better top end? Capt,n