Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Maximum articulation...?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 10:18 PM
rcdudegermy10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maximum articulation...?

Hey is there anything I could do to get maximum articulation on my rock crawler...any special techniques?
Old 04-20-2007, 10:41 PM
hands without shadows

Default RE: Maximum articulation...?

How much articulation do you have now? You dont really need more than 60 degrees or so.
Old 04-20-2007, 11:13 PM
rcdudegermy10

I don't have any now.... b/c I don't have a crawler...but I'm gathering as much info as possible so that when I get everything I need to build, the building will be easy b/c I'll already know all of the tricks...btw this wouldn't ba a traditional crawler, probably one hooked up on a 20 turn motor or so, then just geared really low, that way I can have speed, and torque...it would be just for running around my grandma's house, no serious competitions...and I like the way he articulation looks, so that's what I'm going for...
Old 04-20-2007, 11:39 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

if you want a pretzle that does not perform well... get a clod axled, STICK style crawler and you can have as much articulation as you could ever want--- possibly 180+ as long as the wiring allows [&:]. More than 70 may look cool, but it would suck on the rocks, that is why everyone keeps saying the same thing to you. Also the 20T motor will not be capable at all for crawling, you won't be able to gear it low enough. What you are wanting to build will not really be a crawler, but an overly flexible trail truck. Good lucki
Old 04-21-2007, 12:11 AM
johnrobholmes

He can gear a 20t low enough all right, it just might smoke when he binds up a tire. 60 degree, maybe 75 is plenty. If it goes fast you can expect plenty of rollovers with that kind of articulation.
Old 04-21-2007, 05:17 AM
m1marty

ORIGINAL: Acs_guitars

if you want a pretzle that does not perform well... get a clod axled, STICK style crawler
And that's why the "Stick" and "Pimp Cane" chassis are winning and placing well in so many comps.
My 2.2 class Pimp Cane (12.5 inch chassis) flexes to about 60 degrees. Haven't found the need for much more and a little thing called "float" works to your advantage.
Old 04-21-2007, 02:59 PM
Acs_guitars
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: m1marty

if you want a pretzle that does not perform well... get a clod axled, STICK style crawler
And that's why the "Stick" and "Pimp Cane" chassis are winning and placing well in so many comps.
My 2.2 class Pimp Cane (12.5 inch chassis) flexes to about 60 degrees. Haven't found the need for much more and a little thing called "float" works to your advantage.

If you read what I said, I did not say anything bad about the stick chassis at all, just that a stick will allow the articulation he is talking about.

WHAT I ACTUALLY SAID:

if you want a pretzle that does not perform well... get a clod axled, STICK style crawler and you can have as much articulation as you could ever want--- possibly 180+ as long as the wiring allows [&:].

TIP: Read things and consider the context before you mock someone.

Old 04-21-2007, 07:05 PM
m1marty

ORIGINAL: m1marty

If you read what I said, I did not say anything bad about the stick chassis at all, just that a stick will allow the articulation he is talking about.

WHAT I ACTUALLY SAID:

if you want a pretzle that does not perform well... get a clod axled, STICK style crawler and you can have as much articulation as you could ever want--- possibly 180+ as long as the wiring allows [&:].

TIP: Read things and consider the context before you mock someone.

Maybe you didn't read what you wrote???? Unless I took what you typed "If you want a pretzle that doesn't perform well" totaly wrong, it "seemed" to me that you were talking down on them. I wasn't "mocking" you either, just pointing out that they do work (and well at that)
TIP: Read what you wrote before responding to someone when they respond to you. I'm in no way wanting to start an argument. If I took what you typed wrong, then I stand corrected and do apologize.
Have a good one.
Aaron
Old 04-21-2007, 10:35 PM
hands without shadows

He said you can have as much articulation as you want, possibly more than 180 degrees. When you have that much articulation the rig performs bad, comp trucks usually run links to limit the articulation which is one of the reasons they perform well.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:42 PM
rcdudegermy10

I guess that's more of what I want...a trail truck...and if 60 degres of aticulation will make it perform better then I'll will go w/ that although I really liked the big articulation...so is there anything you guys could help me on for making a trail truck???
Old 04-24-2007, 09:53 PM
jamesie

I wanna pretzel.
Old 05-05-2007, 07:01 PM
nik77356

with cinnamon. mmmmmmmmmm........ cinnamon........