Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

smoke pump?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 01:02 AM
esport33
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default smoke pump?

I was wondering about converting a standard bisson pitts muffler to a smoke muffler. Has anyone done this? it's for a Moki 135. I think I can just tap the muffler and add a nipple somewhere... copper heater coil... is this right? help! hehe. I have and extra bisson to play with and want to add some smoke. where might I find the parts to do this? I know you guy's have tried this, common! I'm cheap.
Old 02-27-2003, 01:53 AM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Default smoke pump?

Yup, I've read about someone doing that here. Did you run a search on Bisson and smoke? What you're thinking sounds right, though.

Mike
Old 02-27-2003, 02:32 AM
davey_flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Default smoke pump?

You're talking about a gasser so you don't need the heat coil - gas burns hot enough that it will burn the oil.
Old 02-27-2003, 02:53 AM
JLB

Default smoke pump?

If you want good smoke you do need a heater coil. If you just want wimpy smoke and blow raw smoke oil all over your airplane, don't bother.
Old 02-27-2003, 03:11 AM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Default smoke pump?

I don't believe that Moki is a gasser. At least the one that a guy flies at our field is not. No matter which, remember that the more heat, the better the smoke.

Mike
Old 02-27-2003, 03:41 AM
DERF-54
My Feedback: (48)

Default smoke coil

U can use soft copper line from an oil pressure gage from a car. Make a 3 wrap coil and and silver solider the one end to a nipple, thread the coil into the muffler so the fluid will flow in the same direction as the exhaust and you should have a nice smoke muffler.
You might have to play with the amount of flow, to much oil will load the engine and cause it to bog down.
Good luck
Fred
Old 02-27-2003, 04:09 AM
davey_flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Default smoke pump?

So with the copper, you get the oil to flow through the copper, and because the copper is already heated it provides a more efficient burn? Also, do you just have a single opening at the end of the copper?
Old 02-27-2003, 05:56 AM
esport33

Default Moki 135

Ok, good intrest and comments! A Moki engine is not what I'd call a gasser however, it's a very low (5%) to no nitro engine...what they call straight fuel or FAI type. wish I could head down to the filling staiton for it but, NO! it's fairly inexpesive compared to the fuel that the Saito's and Yamada engines eat, at nearly 13.00$ less but not the 2$ the gassers use per gallon. With that said, I have no idea how hot the oil needs to be to generate good smoke, the coil is super easy and cheap to make and sounds as if it would just better the quality of the smoke. NOW, I have a question. How hot does the oil need to be for the best atomization? I'm thinking as hot as possible! eh? tell me how wrong I am.....
Old 02-27-2003, 06:00 AM
esport33

Default smoke pump?

ah, the reason I was mentioning the low nitro was because the nitro burns cool.....I'm sure most you guys know that