Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Mini Rock Crawler

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 10:23 PM
Nasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Rock Crawler

I would like to get a Mini RC Rock Crawler but I don't know what is good. If you could give me a link I'd be happy. I just want something that won't get stuck and perfibly under $200.00 Provided I could find one, would a TLT-1 be good?
Old 06-07-2007, 11:02 PM
lvblueyedboy

Default RE: Mini Rock Crawler

I have a HPI Wheely King and what a great platform to start rock crawling with. That is the direction I would point you in. I am working on extending the wheel base and building a tuber chassis for it. But to start out on a low budget I feel it is the way to go. They all have there advantages and disadvantages so look and see what you really want. We a few easy modification you can get the WK rock crawling in no time.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:27 PM
rcdudegermy10

I'll second the wheely King...the tlt would be good but b/c of it's discotinued status parts will be harder to find, not to mention the cost will go up...

The Wheely King, however, seems to be growing in popularity, and can be made into a good crawler fairly cheap...check out towerhobbies or amainhobbies for the Wheely king...btw get the 4x4 edition, or you will have a tough time crawling...
Old 06-07-2007, 11:56 PM
lvblueyedboy

I can give you an example of how much they have jumper in popularity. Two weeks ago I walk in to my LHS looking to by some wheels and tires for my WK. I find the Proline Moabs right away, and I start looking for wheels to put them on. They do not have any in stock at all. I can get what ever I want for my Savage but nothing for the WK. Today I walk in and start looking around and right next to the Cash register there is a whole wall of different wheels for the WK.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:17 AM
Nasher

What about this? I was also going to ask about the Wheely King.
http://www.ptiracing.net/product/GRC/crawler_web.html
Old 06-10-2007, 12:40 PM
lvblueyedboy

Any truck can be a rock crawler it is jus t how much you want to spend or time you what to put in to it. All and all it did not look too bad for a start, but does it come with a motor or Elect? Not that the factory stuff stays but still that is an added expense from the start. Me personally I like to run it along the way and see it turn in to what I am building. But I have heard good things about the PTI Goliath in the Micro and Mini forums.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:46 PM
Lumpmister

It is hard to build a good crawler for under 200 dollars. The Wheely King is a GREAT place to start though. I made on into a crawler, but spent about 450+ on it. The goliath is also a good out of the box crawler.
Old 06-10-2007, 01:00 PM
The Real Dogman

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heres a picture of My wheely king stretched and I only have about 237 into it total 225 for the king and 12 for drive shafts. the links are left overs from CEN Nemesis Genesis builds(very tough and heavy for lower COG). I still need some IMEX All Terrians 2.2 with Axial Beadlocks, 55t lathe motor and some other minor work
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11233.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	701137   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96478.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	701138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tq48674.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	701139   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66680.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	701140  
Old 06-10-2007, 02:26 PM
Lumpmister

Here is my WK crawler. I have about 450 into it, but it crawls awesome. I just added a servo plate on the axle, so all the steering is down there now. Here are some pics:

Old 06-10-2007, 06:00 PM
lvblueyedboy

Nice WK. I just spent the morning narrowing 2 sets for HPI Spike truck wheels and then mounting Pro Line Moab tires on them. I added some tape weight to the front rims that I picked up from a local tire shop. Here is a week or two I will have a Tuber Chassis for it. All that it will cost me is a Tube bender off of The MATCO truck. I have already picked up some 3/16 brake line from Local auto parts store. I have the rod and all the parts that I will need to extend the wheel base except the drive shafts. I have not decided which drive shafts I am going to use.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:16 PM
Nasher

Lumpmister: have you done anything to the king that would change articulation and were those beadlocks narrowed?
Old 06-10-2007, 07:25 PM
lvblueyedboy

If you look at the shocks they are at an angle and the links are not the black plastic. As far as the wheels go I can not really tell from the pictures. So yes it looks like he has extended the wheel base. That is my next project. I just have to figure out what I am going to use for the front and rear drive lines. It looks as if he has turned the chassis around so the battery is in the front for better weight distribution.

Sorry if I have stepped on anyone’s toes for explaining what I see has been done.

What drive lines are you using on your truck. I am planning on extending the wheel base next weekend. (It is the only time that I get to work on my truck or do anything else.)
Old 06-10-2007, 07:28 PM
Nasher

Lumpmister: can you pm me instructions on flipping the battery to the front so when I get the King if I want to I can flip the battery, to weigh down the front
Old 06-10-2007, 07:33 PM
Lumpmister

I actually didn't flip the battery box, I just switched the axles. Then I got a piece of all thread to extend the steering. This is easier and works the exact same!
Old 06-10-2007, 07:51 PM
Nasher

sweet, wheels weren't narrowed right
Old 06-10-2007, 07:53 PM
T I G

I wish I got a WK instead of building one.
WK are pretty sweet and need very little to make them capable crawlers.
Old 06-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Nasher

that's why I got it, I might get a tuber chassis from here www.beckworks.com once I get money
Old 06-10-2007, 08:35 PM
wolfattak

im farely new to crawling and I've become intrigued with the, so ive heard, virtualy "stock crawler" the wheely king.
I just have a couple questions; Other then switching the axles, or shifting the battery to the front, upgrading the wheels and tires, and extending the links what, if any, other modifications need to be done to make it crawl...(Well)????And what are all the stock guts, (electronics) whats the torque on the servo and what is the turn on the motor?????
Old 06-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Lumpmister

You will need longer driveshafts too. The stock motor is a Saturn 27 Turn. You will need a new motor, and gearing. The stock servo is not very good. I upgraded mine very quickly. The radio and reciever are "ok". They are not the best, or the worst.

To Nasher: My wheels were narrowed. Beckworks makes some awesome chassis. Here is a build using Wheely King axles and a beckworks chassis:
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73613
Old 06-10-2007, 09:24 PM
lvblueyedboy

lumpmister,
What drive shafts did you use when you extended your wheel base? I have heard guys using the Revo and T-Maxx drive shafts. I was just wondering if the E Savage drive shafts would work on the Wheely King. It is an HPI product would they cross over to the Wheely King? It looks like it has a inter tube and it slides. Just a thought.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:29 PM
wolfattak

i think ill stick to my plan of getting an ax10 scorpion. They sound and look badass.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:04 PM
Lumpmister

I used the T-Maxx drive shafts. They worked very well. I think that the E-Savage ones would work, BTW E-Savages ROCK! I love mine. Anyways, any drive shafts should work, as long as the axle can accept them.