Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

What to do with a DA-50

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 02:49 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
Default What to do with a DA-50

OK, so I tanked my V1 85" QQ Yak yesterday. I read all of the stuff on here (well a lot of it anyway) and I was down to the V2 86" QQ Yak or the 88" EF Yak as the new ride for my DA-50. Then I get an email from my Composite-ARF rep. about this:

http://www.composite-arf.com.hk/ar/Catalog?cat=39

I've done several Composite-ARF jets and I like them a lot. I also like the looks of their Yaks, but they're not DA-50 size.

What's the consensus on this Composite-ARF Extra? Should I go for one of these, or a Yak????

Thanks!
Bob
Old 06-18-2007, 03:22 PM
krayzc-RCU
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What to do with a DA-50

here to listen since i have the EF Yak.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89595.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	135.1 KB
ID:	706458  
Old 06-18-2007, 03:23 PM
frisconick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob,

I'm right there with you. I crash landed my TF P-51 (w/DA-50) a month ago and I'm still waiting for a replacement wing. I've been leaning toward a Yak myself since I can't seem to get a new wing. I've had the V2 QQ recommended to me, but I like the looks of the Aeroworks Yak a lot better (don't know about flight characteristics, though). I too have looked at the 2.12 meter Extras AND the 2.3 Extra that they say performs very well with a DA-50 and tuned pipe. I'm anxious to hear other recommendations.

Nick
Old 06-18-2007, 06:13 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm building the 74" version of the EF YAK right now and I have to say it's the most impressive wood kit I've seen to date, the 88" looks to be about the same from what I'm reading and seeing on the forums. I like the fact that it comes with the carbon wing tubes and ti linkages out of the box. The video's I've seen flight performance is amazing, so I know this plane is going to be awesome. (going with the YS 1.60 DZ on this one)

I've seen first hand the new 2.12 comp-arf extra, and it is also really impressive. No flight reports yet, but out of the box the thing looks very nice, much better than it looks in the pics. (I've seen the blue one) They've made some changes to how the servos mount in the wing hatches, the canopy looks like a real pain, but I like the split cowl, the built in pipe tunnel, carbon gear looks nice and is light, and it's all already hinged for you. I can't wait to see how it flies. He's putting a ZDZ 40 in it with the pipe so power shouldn't be a problem.

I think really it comes down to do you want a YAK or do you want an Extra? You can't go wrong with either, but the comp-arf still needs to be proven flight capability wise, where you know (for right now at least) the YAK is proven.

I'm looking at swapping out my 50cc extra towards the end of the year as my weekday flyer, so I'm interested in seeing what others have to say on this same subject. I'll have my answer when these two planes are completed and I get to see how they both fly.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:12 PM
Jake Ruddy
My Feedback: (40)

Extras are nice... but the schemes on the new comp-arfs are some of the ugliest out there.

I would also bet the EF or the QQ Yak will fly a lot lighter.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:56 PM
RobT
My Feedback: (17)

Build a Carden Cuda!
Old 06-18-2007, 09:45 PM
rhklenke

ORIGINAL: RobT

Build a Carden Cuda!
Nope - too much building to do already - its got to be an ARF, and the more RF, the better...
Old 06-18-2007, 09:49 PM
rhklenke

ORIGINAL: sinergy

Extras are nice... but the schemes on the new comp-arfs are some of the ugliest out there.

Well, if you look at the published stats. the Composite ARF looks to be the lighter of the three. I know manufacturer's spec.s are from the manufacturer, but my V1 QQ Yak came out at 17.5 lbs dry and flew very light. The Composite ARF props I've seen fly very light as well and if you can come close to the 15.5 max. weight stated for the Comp-ARF, it should fly light as well...

Bob
Old 06-18-2007, 09:51 PM
krayzc-RCU

get what rocks your boat and get that thing in the air time and life is short....
Old 06-18-2007, 10:00 PM
airborneSGT
My Feedback: (15)

If you enjoy a slower flying plane get a Yak; if you like something more slick then go for an Extra. Myself I prefer to 3D with Extra's. I thought the Comp Arf Yak was an outstanding plane if you fly IMAC but for me I can 3d better with Extras or Ultimates.

The nice thing about a 50cc Ultimate is that if you have a truck or van you can keep it put together. Makes it much easier to just "go fly."
Old 06-19-2007, 04:22 PM
vanguard
My Feedback: (25)

Take a look at the Dietrich Aviation Extra 260 in the 50cc size. Very complete arf and ready to fly in about 6 to 8 hours. Comes out light and flies exceptionally well.

http://www.dietrichaircraft.com/50cc...ccExtra260.php
Old 06-19-2007, 11:50 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

just a coouple of suggestions from my angle.

[link=http://www.airwildhobbies.com/MoreInfo.asp?title=product&level=2&id=43]AirWild Extra 260[/link] about 15lbs rtf, one of the lightest in its class

and since you mentioned comparf's, they are on sale

[link=http://www.composite-arf.com.hk/ar/Catalog?cat=39]Comp Arf Extra[/link] what else can be said? its a comp-arf

[link=http://www.wildharerc.com/products/sukhoi85/]WildHare Sukhoi[/link] Wildhare birds are simply amazing, well built, light and bulletproof. price is among lowest in class as well

I agree with with the C man, get whatever floats your boat and fly the jeebers out of it!

good luck
Old 06-20-2007, 12:39 AM
SinCityJets

The QQ is tough to be beat, but if you want to put the RF in ARF, then Aeroworks is the obvious answer!
Old 06-20-2007, 06:06 AM
Josey Wales
My Feedback: (61)

EF Yak...no contest[8D]
Old 06-20-2007, 06:15 AM
rhklenke

Lot's of good suggestions guys! In fact, too many good suggestions

I didn't realize that the 50cc market was so strong. I wish I could try them all

I've never tried a Comp ARF prop before, so I think I'll pull the trigger on a 2.1m Extra. Don't tell my wife...[8D]

Thanks!
Bob
Old 06-20-2007, 07:19 AM
Ragz

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

did someone say 50cc ultimate bipe? does one even exist?
Old 06-20-2007, 07:37 AM
Jake Ruddy

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

Well, if you look at the published stats. the Composite ARF looks to be the lighter of the three. I know manufacturer's spec.s are from the manufacturer, but my V1 QQ Yak came out at 17.5 lbs dry and flew very light. The Composite ARF props I've seen fly very light as well and if you can come close to the 15.5 max. weight stated for the Comp-ARF, it should fly light as well...

Bob

Sure it's lighter.. the wings are also smaller. Ever notice comp-arf doesnt publish square inches? I emailed them asking for some info on squares and the response I got was "I am not sure". I was like.. gee great that you sell a nice looking plane.. too bad you dont know anything about it.

I have seen several 2.6s fly and flown the 2.3 serveral times.. straight as an arrow.. but the 2.3 is heavy to say the least. I cant see the new one being much better.. the 2x2 was not a 3D bird.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:06 AM
Sukhoi4Me

Wild Hare has a 29% Ultimate, ought to be good for a 50cc right??? On the website, it says 50cc to 60 cc...
Old 06-20-2007, 06:03 PM
krayzc-RCU

sinergy
u got that right about the smaller stuff
Old 06-20-2007, 07:35 PM
alpapilot
My Feedback: (1)

Sure it's lighter.. the wings are also smaller. Ever notice comp-arf doesnt publish square inches? I emailed them asking for some info on squares and the response I got was "I am not sure". I was like.. gee great that you sell a nice looking plane.. too bad you dont know anything about it.

I have seen several 2.6s fly and flown the 2.3 serveral times.. straight as an arrow.. but the 2.3 is heavy to say the least. I cant see the new one being much better.. the 2x2 was not a 3D bird.
The website says the the wing is 1405 squares. That coupled with 15.5lbs should make the plane fly like a kite. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one two.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:54 PM
krayzc-RCU

u know if the site says that weight be sure to add for those who over glue and over build along with putting in their heavier hardware sounds about right to me
Old 06-20-2007, 08:52 PM
Jake Ruddy

ORIGINAL: alpapilot

The website says the the wing is 1405 squares. That coupled with 15.5lbs should make the plane fly like a kite. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one two.

Well if the numbers and weights come out correct then I will be the first to admit I was wrong.. however looking at their track record on the smaller stuff I am not holding my breath. Now get 2.6 and above you can't loose. Maybe they have gotten smarter.. who knows. I wish they had of come out with some nice schemes though..
Old 06-21-2007, 08:38 AM
alpapilot
My Feedback: (1)

Yeah, those that add weight for no good reason amaze me. First, I will be using lipos and a pitts muffler so, weight will go down right there. I am at 800' MSL so I don't need the few hundred extra RPMs that a pipe would give (the louder the better, we are way out in the sticks).

Also, I kinda dig the red and yellow scheme. I think I will email Comp-ARF and see if they can tell me what other schemes they will be coming out with. If they use the US Flag theme I might have to wait for that one.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:57 PM
krayzc-RCU

its always the flyer who spends the $ so do as u please no panties should every get in a wad...