Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Glow Engines
Reload this Page >

Which engine for Hangar 9 Ultra Stick 60?

Community
Search
Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Which engine for Hangar 9 Ultra Stick 60?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 07:25 PM
mlsande21
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which engine for Hangar 9 Ultra Stick 60?

I am assembling a brand new Hangar 9 Ultra Stick 60. I had an Ultra Stick 40 and loved it and I have OS and Saito engines on other planes. So, should I put an OS 91 FX or a Saito 100 on the new plane?

Thanks...

Mike
Old 03-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Hobbsy
My Feedback: (102)

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Which

For me that would be a no brainer, the Saito, but then I know nothing about the OS.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:07 PM
bill white
My Feedback: (13)

I have an ASP .80 4c on mine and it flies great.. I would go w/the Saito, but then, I'm partial to Saito engines. The 100 is probably a little overkill.

Bill
Old 03-05-2003, 09:15 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Either engine will be great. There's been three at the field. One had a FX91, the other had a Saito 100. There's a third one with a Saito 72. The guy with the 72 just sport flies and it does a fine job. The guy with the 100 likes to knife edge etc. His flies the best but it may be because of the pilot? The 100 is not too much for the plane but it will still fly with a lot less.

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 03-06-2003, 09:10 PM
adrian-RCU

flick a coin and thats it, both will make the us60 look marvelous.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:35 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by bill white
I have an ASP .80 4c on mine and it flies great.. I would go w/the Saito, but then, I'm partial to Saito engines. The 100 is probably a little overkill.

Bill
Tell that to Hanger 9 because they recommend that engine and flew their demonstration stick with it.

I've been flying mine with a Saito FA-100 for an entire season and IMHO, not only is the Saito FA-100 not overkill for this airplane, but ideal.

Don't get me wrong, If you want a mild-manner aerobat then you can probably fly this airplane with anything from a Saito FA-72 on up.

If you want to explore the ULTRA STICK to its fullest then be prepared to fly it with either a 90 2-stroke or the Saito FA-100. In both cases your still within the manufacturer's recommended motor range.

At approximately 6.5 lbs, any 60-size motor will easily fly this airplane. Any 46-size motor will get it off the ground and keep it in the air. Any 90-size motor will give you the power you need to ULTRA STICK it.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:34 PM
lynngordon

Definitely the Saito 100 - I have about 200 flights on my US 60 with Saito 100 - its my most fun to fly plane!

I had a new OS FS91 Surpass sitting on the shelf which I was going to use when I bought the kit, but after seeing both engines flown on US 60s at my local field, I immediately went to the LHS and purchased the Saito FA-100. Sure glad I did. I take 2 to 3 planes to the field each time I fly - 3 to 4 times a week, and the US 60 is always one of the ones taken.

I made the mods suggested by Jim Hilley way back when, which included moving the elevator and rudder servos to the tail, and with the battery behind the servo plate, it balanced on the cg with no added weight. Did have to add 1/2 oz to the left wingtip for lateral balance. Came out at 6lb, 7oz total

Enjoy it - It's a blast!
Lynn
Old 03-07-2003, 05:56 PM
bill white
My Feedback: (13)

Jim: Well I guess I've been told. I really wasn't trying to rile you. I merely was trying to make the point that you don't need that large of an engine. I wasn't trying to imply that it wouldn't fly the plane well. I'll try and be more careful in my wording in the future to avoid angering the more sensitive members.

Bill
Old 03-07-2003, 06:11 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

Go with the Saito 100, you'll be delighted
Old 03-07-2003, 07:09 PM
miniman

My friend flys one of these with a YS63 using an APC 14 x 4 prop, it is amazing to watch.

The weight he saves has really paid dividends when playing 3D

Peter
Old 03-07-2003, 09:42 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by bill white
Jim: Well I guess I've been told. I really wasn't trying to rile you. I merely was trying to make the point that you don't need that large of an engine. I wasn't trying to imply that it wouldn't fly the plane well. I'll try and be more careful in my wording in the future to avoid angering the more sensitive members.

Bill
Hey, I didn't take any offense to what you said or how you said it -- you certainly didn't rile or anger me. Let me be the one to apologize for the way I responded if it made you think I was offended.

No, I just stepped up to your statement that you thought the Saito was too much engine. I did this from direct experience and because Hanger 9 actually recommends this engine for that airplane. As a matter of fact I wouldn't be surprised if Saito developed it for that airplane initially.

From personal experience, I do not think it is too much engine for this airplane. Though it makes the US 60 rock you don't have to baby it. The airplane will easily take the full measure of the engine. I routinely point it straight up and give it 100% throttle. I have also been known to make 100% throttle takeoffs and 100% throttle runway passes. There was never a hint that I was overpowering the airplane. I am running with a 15x6 which is ideal for the kind of flying expected from this airplane. I certainly would go with a high-speed prop.

I first flew my US 60 back in July with the Saito FA-100 and had a fantastic flying season with the combination. I'm looking forward to returning with it this season.