Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Need Help choosing a Radio Controller

Community
Search
Notices
Electric General Discussion General Discussion forum about rc electric related aircraft, accessories, flight, tips, etc.

Need Help choosing a Radio Controller

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 10:31 AM
SnitGTS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help choosing a Radio Controller

Hello all! I am new to RC Airplanes and I'm looking for a radio controller that will be able to handle most if not all of my future needs. I did some research and I've been looking at the Hitec Optic 6. Anyone have any experience with this controller? Is there a better one out there that's in the same ballpark price wise?

Also, I have some basic controller questions too. What is a mixer and what would I use it for? Can you get more then one reciever to work with the same transmitter and what would you need to know to purchase additional recievers if you can?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Jay
Old 08-07-2006, 11:07 AM
Fliprob17

Default RE: Need Help choosing a Radio Controller

I have not had personal experience with that TX, I have seen some comments from those who have and they all seem to like it. I personally prefer Futaba. I have the 6EX-PCM, 6 channel TX. Mixing - I believe the mixing is so you can go from FM to PCM, but I am not sure, someone else will probably no more about that. Yes, you can get multiple receivers to work off of one TX, you just have to have a separate Receiver crystal for each additional receiver, that matches the channel of your TX. So you do have to purchase additional receivers, but if you get the same channel crystal for each additional receiver they will all work off of the same TX..
Old 08-07-2006, 02:05 PM
pilotpete2

The Optic 6 is a very capable radio system, it is the only 6 ch entry level radio that has a removable RF module allowing you to use a synthesised module where you can change channels or even switch over to 2.4 ghz spread spectrum (when the modules become available) with only a change of the plug in module.
Mixing refers to the ability to mix or couple two control funtions together, for example you can mix in rudder to the aileron channel to give a coordinated turn without having to use the rudder stick, or a common mix is to mix down elevator to the flaps, to reduce pitch up when flaps are deployed.
I have been a sport flyer for almost 20 years and I have yet to use all the features on a radio such as the Optic. Good luck.
Pete
Old 08-07-2006, 02:40 PM
SnitGTS

Ah, that makes sense now! Thanks for your help guys!

Jay
Old 08-07-2006, 10:45 PM
jamuhlhahn

I have a Optic 6 radio and have been flying both indoor planes along with a Hirobo helicopter with no problems at all. After about 6 months I replaced the battery pack with a 2100 Mah pack to improve the flying time.
Jack
Old 08-11-2006, 10:22 PM
randycook

I think you should buy the spektrum Dx6 This is a state of the art controller for under $200 but the great thing about it is it has over 4 billion different channels. You have your own channel that knowbody else will have this way you don't have to check what channel everyone else is using or wait an hour on other people to get done with your channel. This is an awesome system and I have had no problems with it.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:19 AM
pilotpete2

Randy,
The DX6 is a great park flyer radio, I know it CAN be used with larger glow planes but for now it is limited to mainly small electrics, also as 6ch radios go it is the least capable as far as programing flexability, certainly no match for the Optic 6, the Optic 6 also will be able to operate as a 2.4ghz SS system when the 2.4 ghz modue system is released by Hitec to take advantage of the FOURTY channels that are available to the Spektrum SS system.
Pete
Old 08-12-2006, 02:08 PM
Toker41

OK, what about one that WILL work with both parkflyers AND bigger glow planes? Also, it would be cool if it could choose different channels without switching crystals. All of this for under $200 would be great, over $300 would be too much. Any suggestions?
Old 08-12-2006, 03:46 PM
pilotpete2

The optic 6 is the only reasonably priced system available with a with a freq. synthesized module, where you can switch channels without crystals. current price for the Tx and Spectra module for 72 mhz ch 11-60 is 179.00, hard to beat. and of course it is a fullrange system so you can fly anything.
pete
Old 08-12-2006, 04:12 PM
Toker41

So this should work with my existing futaba receivers, and I can pick any channel on the TX on the fly?
Old 08-12-2006, 04:24 PM
pilotpete2

Toker41,
yup, that is Futaba FM receivers, not PCM as they are all proprietary for each brand, note: the Optic 6 has selectable shift for each model memory, so if you aquire a palne with a JR or Airtronics FM rx you can set that model to pos shift, or in the case of a Futaba FM rx set the shift negative, total compatibility[8D]
To change channels "on the fly", you just pop out the module and set the 2 rotary switches to the channel you want, and plug it back in, The JR 7102 has freq synth set thru the menu[8D], BUT since it's a JR, no selectable shift so no compatability with Futaba[:@]
Pete
Old 08-13-2006, 08:16 AM
Toker41

I far from an expert on this stuff. I hope this radio isn't to complicated. I will probably never use half the features. I just want ONE radio for all my planes without having to worry about being locked to one channel. Also, I like the idea of the digital trims being stored in memory, as the trims on my radios are ALWAYS getting bumped and moved.

What would be a good receiver to go with this radio to use in an Eflite Mini Ultra Stick?
Old 08-13-2006, 09:05 AM
pilotpete2

If you want a Rx just for park/slow flyers, the Hitec O5S 5 ch micro Rx while it is single conversion, it is rated at 1+ mile range so it could be used in larger planes with that range, they go for $35 or a little less not including crystal.
Pete
Old 08-09-2007, 11:34 PM
BMonee
Banned

U should steer clear of the Optic 6. It is very poor quality and unreliable. I have had mine for about 3 months and it has died twice, which required sending it back to the manufacturer. I only have about 2 hours of flight time on it.

If you want a radio that will die while you have a plane in the air, this might be the radio for you. If you want a radio that will be reliable, steer clear of this product like the plague. It is a poor quality product.

BMonee