Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis > Helimax
Reload this Page >

A cheap and Simple Axe CP antenna mod

Community
Search
Notices
Helimax This is for all your Helimax questions and comments.

A cheap and Simple Axe CP antenna mod

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 08:15 PM
DKhairho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A cheap and Simple Axe CP antenna mod

I don't know if anyone is like me out there, but I hate having to unravel and then re-ravel the antenna wire around the landing gear after a landing gear fix.

I didn't want to wait on a Micro-Z 72 antenna order from my LHS so I dicided to use a bit of skill and creativity to rig something from stuff I alread had lying around the house.

Heat Shrink Tubing
Nitro Fuel Line
Antenna Tube

I cut the antenna tube 4 1/2 inches long and ran the antenna wire through it leaving enough slack to reach the land gear slots from the receiver. I then wrapped the wire around the outside of the antenna tube, not to tight though. Next I cut 3, half inch pieces of heat shrink tube and secured the wire in place. Some may choose to cover the whole tube. I just wanted to make room for as much reception as I could. Just me being extra cautious. Lastly I cut 2 small pieces of fuel line to cap off each end of the tube. I checked my reception during flight and it seemed to work fine. I do reccomend that you leave a piece of the antenna wire end protruding from the outside of the heat shrink and fuel line.

***Note: I'm no professional just sort of a home grown "Mr. Fix-It."

I posted some pics because I thought it was a cool idea to share. Hope others find this mod useful!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71878.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	740926   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15477.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	740927  
Old 08-12-2007, 09:28 PM
s_mcflurry

Default RE: A cheap and Simple Axe CP antenna mod

I've always been hesitant to adjust the length of the tubing at all because I read somewhere (or so I believe) that the length of the tubing needed to be certain length for frequency reasons. Can you enlighten me please?
Old 08-12-2007, 09:36 PM
jmann71

that would be the length of the antenna lead for the freq. though, the longer the antenna tube, the greater the range.

jason
Old 08-12-2007, 10:44 PM
DKhairho

JMann is correct. The length of the actual wire is what's important. I know not to tamper with that. Learned that from one of my cars when I first got into to RC. I think that my mod comes with the same "caution" as the Micro-Z,

"Note: In some cases the receiver range is slightly reduced so a range check should be done before flying." This came from the site that carries them and I figured the same when doing my mod. That's why I made most of the wire visible.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:16 PM
Heliko

Nice Mod DK.

This is being discussed on RC Groups too. Something about the frequency determining the length. I think for our frequency (72MHz) it's 39" of wire. That what the a Micro-Z has and another poster mentioned the same length with his custom antenna. The Micro-Z wire is just smaller. I have one and I love it. One of the best mods for the Axe IMO in both looks and function.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41862.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	741059   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64794.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	741060   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34379.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	741061  
Old 08-12-2007, 11:19 PM
DKhairho

It worked well for me today. I just thought it was something cool to share. I try to make my hobbies as convenient as possible. Less hassle means more fun in my opinion.