Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Completing the building of my rs4-2 need some assistance

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Completing the building of my rs4-2 need some assistance

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 09:12 PM
oekundar-inactive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Completing the building of my rs4-2 need some assistance

hey guys and gals,

I recently purchased an rs4-2 and finally got the rest of the necessary parts for it to run with the exception of the new servo savers (in the mail) My question is in regards to putting on the clutch shoes/spring and bell housing. After following the assembly instructions, the clutch bell housing spins freely in both directions, is it supposed to? Secondly, when setting the engine in place, the instructions say to have it so the gears move freely, but if I tighten the engine down all the way, the gears don't move freely, so does that mean that I shouldn't tighten the engine all the way down?

Thanx for your help
Old 03-18-2003, 09:24 PM
KyleSch

Hi,

Yes the clutch bell should move freely, the shoes will catch the inside of the clutch bell when it spins fast enough. It does this so you can idle without moving, otherwise if the car wasn't moving the engine could not idle. Check and make sure the chassis is not bent because the last thing you want to do is not put the engine on tightly. You might need to file the holes on the chassis to mount the engine a little further away and maybe it will allow the gears to move. I am assuming that when you say it spins freely when the engine is not screwed in all the way that the gears are meshing correctly. Just look at the pinion/spur gears carefully and maybe you will see the problem.

Kyle
Old 03-19-2003, 01:58 AM
off-road3

if ur having trouble with gear mesh put a peice of paper in the middel of the spur gear and the pinion gear mesh it together snug and tighten then turn the gears to get the paper out. just some advise for when ur done if everything is set properley the car should roll about 5 feet or so if it goes short the brake is too tight.
Old 03-19-2003, 02:04 AM
KyleSch

The problem with what you said, off-road, is that there is no freeplay to mount the engine on the RS4 2, it only goes in one spot.

Actually thinking about it check and see if the pinion and spur gear are the ones that came stock with it, if one is a different size it can be a problem since you cannot move the engine closer or farther away.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:49 PM
oekundar-inactive

thanks for your responses guys!

O
Old 03-27-2003, 03:52 AM
dbow
My Feedback: (1)

Default RS4-2

oekundar:

Off road3 knows whats up.

Loosen all your engine screws just enough so the engine can move around a little. Take 2 strips of paper (2 for 2spd) and place them between the clutchbell pinions and the spur gears.
Press them together and tighten down your engine screws.
Now pull out the paper and your mesh should be set perfectly. With a little practice you will be able to eyeball this process in no time.

One more thing, I would suggest adding some loc-tite BLUE to the engine mount screws.
Take one out and loc-tite it then put it back in. Then do another one and so on until you do all four.

DBow