Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

I'm new to R/C's, i got a few questions

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

I'm new to R/C's, i got a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 05:49 PM
chaos6903

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm new to R/C's, i got a few questions

hey guys, im extreamly newb to this whole RC thing, i just bought a .18 1/10 exceed buggy(cheap i know) and was wondering a few basic questions that i am havin issues finding elsewere. #1 what speed will it top out at about(does it break 40MPH?)... run time per tank of gas. uhm how long will it normally last till it needs replacement parts? anyways if anyone can reply to this with somthing useful thanks.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:48 PM
fat1

Default RE: please help ^_^

#1 depends on gearing and tranny (single or two speed) i'd say 30-35mph either way
#2 12 minutes or so depending on how hard you're running
#3 if you really take care of it then you can get 8 gallons or more but the reality for noobs are around 4 gallons
Old 09-08-2007, 06:51 PM
chaos6903

Default RE: I'm new to R/C's, i got a few questions

thanks =] (was hoping faster...but only payed 149$ so...)
Old 09-08-2007, 07:53 PM
jgeck90

you shouldnt even have put a penny towards those cheap companys So sad that they lead newbs to such junk cars IMO
jeff
Old 09-08-2007, 07:58 PM
fat1

ORIGINAL: traxxas_man_05

you shouldnt even have put a penny towards those cheap companys So sad that they lead newbs to such junk cars IMO
jeff
this coming from a user named "traxxas_man_05" LMAO LMAO LMAO
Old 09-11-2007, 11:35 PM
jgeck90

oh that was funny dude.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:58 AM
DaveG55

As has been so tactlessly pointed out, it is a cheap buggy. There are several ethical and practical reasons why that may not have been your best choice. But what's done is done.

I'd say that 30 - 35 mph is about right on top speed.
Run time should be in the 12 - 18 minute range depending on tank size, tuning and driving habits.
How long to replacement parts are needed?
Sorry, now comes one of the practical reasons for not buying that buggy.

First, all rc's break parts, that's a given. The two real differences come in how often they break parts (directly related to quality) and how available replacement parts are.
You bought a cheap buggy (you said so yourself) so it is going to be made of cheap parts (duh). Well cheap parts are going to break more easily. Honestly, I would expect that you will break something in the first few days of running. ( I believe that fat1 was refering to the engine and I think he was being optimistic) That's when parts availability comes into play. You are going to have a very difficult time getting replacement parts for your buggy. No one except a very small number of online shops will carry parts for that buggy and even those shops are often out of stock and/or expensive.

I wpuld suggest that you use the truck as a learning experence and when you finally give up on it then get a good, name brand vehicle. You'll see thee is a world of difference.

Good Luck.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Smiff 24

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a noob or a first time rc driver, 35 mph will be plenty fast !
Will you be in grass, dirt or pavement ? (or all the above..hehe)
Main thing......Have fun!!!!

Old 09-13-2007, 11:18 AM
chaos6903

im confused, lookin on ebay at cars similar to the one i bought (all about the same price with .18engines) say "60 mph+!" hmmm and i mean it appears to be identical to some with completely different names
Old 09-13-2007, 01:52 PM
jgeck90

yeah man they "look" the same, they are replicas pretty much in some ways.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:19 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: chaos6903

im confused, lookin on ebay at cars similar to the one i bought (all about the same price with .18engines) say "60 mph+!" hmmm and i mean it appears to be identical to some with completely different names

To be perfectly blunt about it, They are lying.
To be a bit more "PC" about it, It's advertising, that's all, and advertising has been known to "expand" a bit on reality. Unfortunatly even the brand name rc companies are guilty of exageration when it comes to advertising top speeds. In reality there are very, very few rtr rc's that will get anywhere near 60mph. Heck, it's not all that easy (or inexpensive) to mod one to go that fast. Besides, speed in rc's ain't all that. Get a small car like these going 65 and they become very nearly uncontrolable. And, believe it or not, after a very short time, pure speed becomes very boring. It's the bashing and playing around that's the fun part.

As far as many looking alike goes, well thats because many of the foriegn companies that are making the really cheap rc's have stolen (or in a very few cases, liscensed) a popular, brand name companies product. That's one reason why some people get so vehament about it when people ask about them.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:22 PM
chaos6903

ahh i see, thanks man =]