Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Gas or Glow for 81" Ultra Hots?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Gas or Glow for 81" Ultra Hots?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 11:50 PM
kwbrown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas or Glow for 81" Ultra Hots?

The Quadra 35 finally died on my big Ultra Hots. I have never had any exerience with the BIG glow engines and was wondering if I should consider going with one of those since I am going to have to buy a new engine. Any advantages over Gas?...or should I stick with a gas engine? Suggestions?....
Old 03-21-2003, 04:00 AM
lynngordon

Yes, there are several advantages of a big glow engine over a gas engine -
1) You will have more energy because you won't be so tired from lugging around that heavy wallet - It will be much lighter.
2) You will have more time for non-RC activities because you cannot afford the fuel to fly
3) Did I mention that glow fuel is about 4-7 times more expensive than gas mix?
4) You won't have to waste your time socializing with the IMAC guys at the field - they won't talk to you.
5) You will be enhancing the economy by having to reinvest heavily in large amounts of Windex and paper towels.
6) You will get more exercise taking your entire field box with you each time you fly - battery, starter, glow plug ignitor, etc.

Personally, I would either rebuild the Q35 or invest in a ZDZ40 and really wake up that big Ultra Hots! :-)

Lynn
Old 03-21-2003, 04:47 AM
Lance Oakley
My Feedback: (1)

I agree with staying with gas!

I'm new to gassers. I'm not sure that I have the best fuel line setup. It works great for level flight, but I'm a little concerned about inverted flight. With glow engines, you use a pressure line and thus have no problems with inverted flight. With gas you need a vent line. Specifically Do you have any recommendations for the vent line?
Old 03-21-2003, 01:31 PM
lynngordon

Lance, your gas engine probably has a Walbro or Walbro type carb which has a built in fuel pump. You don't need pressure.

What works for me is a single line from the tank to the carb with a T fitting in it for fueling up, and a single vent line out of the bottom of the plane.

The carb is designed to prevent fuel entering the carb unless it is running, so you are not going to flood the engine while fueling. Just run the line from the T to a convenient location for refueling, and plug it with a fuel dot.

Since the engine is pulling fuel while running, you are not going to lose fuel while running inverted if the vent line is mounted properly. A good method is to make a horizontal "S" shape of the vent tube and attach it to the firewall exiting through the bottom of the cowl.

Do a search in "Gas Engines" for fueling setups for some photos.

Lynn
Old 03-21-2003, 02:20 PM
tonyc
My Feedback: (4)

I have built the Ultra Hots and use the Saito 180. I agree that gas is cheaper than glow fuel, but I am not into this hobby to save money. I can burn a gallon in a weekend of flying which will cost me about $14 in fuel. I guess you could compare that to about $2 in gas but even at $14 its still a cheap day at the field.

I have flown both gas and glow. I like gas for larger, 15 to 25 lbs, airplanes. I like to use glow for smaller lighter aircraft. My Ultra Hots is about 13 lbs and the Saito 180 suits it very well. If your Hots is 15 lbs plus in weight, get the gas. No point in putting a high performance motor on a lead sleds.

Hope this helps.

tonyc
Old 03-21-2003, 09:28 PM
kwbrown

When you say your Ultra Hots weighs 13 pounds, is that with or without the engine?
Old 03-22-2003, 04:01 AM
Russman
My Feedback: (12)

I have a Saito 270 twin on mine. Awesome sound and AWESOME power! VRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMM^^^^^
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	64760_5718.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	39487  
Old 03-22-2003, 10:25 AM
Steve
My Feedback: (54)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am putting a SuperTiger 2500 in mine. I've used the G-38 and G-45 on the Ultra Hots and they fly about the same because they are heavy motors. I lightened up the latest of my Ultra Hots' and shortened the wing to 70" and used Stinger 120 plans for the tailfeathers. With the lightening holes in the fuse and lighter tail, this one is comming in around 11.5 lbs. with the 2500 on board. It should be the funnest one yet!!
Old 03-22-2003, 10:45 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good 40cc gasser would be great, and much more fun than a big glow engine. If I had that plane I'd get a ZDZ 40 or similar. Believe me, I know what it's like to feed a big Moki 1.8. The engine runs great but I figured it's about 2 bucks worth of fuel PER FLIGHT. My Brison 3.2 burns 2 bucks of gasoling PER DAY if I fly a whole bunch. Don't know what Lynn means by the IMAC guys not wanting to talk to you because you are running glow. Maybe he was being sarcastic.

BTW Russman, is that your MW Extra and how do you like it?
Old 03-22-2003, 12:43 PM
lynngordon

Ah Ryan - you wound me - me being sarcastic? Possibly :-)

Lynn
Old 03-22-2003, 03:09 PM
Russman
My Feedback: (12)

Flyfalcons,
Yes,that is a Midwest Extra. The original version,not the XS. It's a very smooth and capable airplane. Been flying it with a 1.8 Moki.
Rusty
Old 03-22-2003, 07:07 PM
ExFokkerFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's my Ultra Hots with a BME 50. Stretched the tail three inches to help with the balance, still had to extend the engine out 3/4". Flys great, weighs about 15 lbs, a little on the heavy side, but I can fly verticle out of sight at half throttle.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	64851_8214.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	39488