Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

new engine stuffed.thanks peakmodel!

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

new engine stuffed.thanks peakmodel!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 06:06 AM
bjnginge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new engine stuffed.thanks peakmodel!

G'day all just opened the box from peakmodel,my first gasser so excited then sad.While checking it over i found that it wont turn over by hand.It seems that the piston is hitting the head.when i informed peakmodel the response was for ME to dissasemble the engine,and repair.i dont know how to fix this but i would say STAY AWAY FROM PEAKMODEL.guess i will have to try to fix this pile of s**t.[&o]
Old 09-26-2007, 06:18 AM
telejojo

Default RE: new engine stuffed.thanks peakmodel!

What kind of engine is it? You can get some gasket material and make a thicker head gasket.That would be easier and cheaper than sending it back,but I think I will stay away from Peakmodels.....................
Old 09-26-2007, 07:50 AM
rgoldy

Been there with Peak myself. When things go good, they go good but have enough money in an SPE engine to buy a (insert any expensive engine of choice here). Won't get into debates on the Chinese engines but if you go down that road, get it from an American supplier. BTW-would not buy one of their ARFs for the same reason but the Hawk props are awesome.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:40 PM
XJet
Banned

I've bought quite a bit from Peak Model and they have always put-right anything that was wrong -- what has their response been to your woes.

As for the piston hitting the head -- does it do it with the sparkplug out?

I had a Chinese motor (not from Peak but one that looks just like theirs) and the piston would hit the sparkplug if you screwed it in without the washer. Turns out they (the manufacturer, not Peak) sent the wrong plug with the engine.

Which engine is it you're having trouble with -- I bet it's a Peak 26, 45 or 65 -- these seem to all come from the same rather poor manufacturer.

If you're having more woes, PM me, I can ring Raymond (the head of Peak) and try to get it sorted for you.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:56 PM
yakman

I had issues with peak too. They said they would refund or exchange, but the cost of return postage was half what I paid for the items. I have a problem with throwing good money after bad and just bought elsewhere I know I can get good service.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:38 PM
bjnginge

It's a spe40,with the plug out it seams that the piston is hitting the head.They say if i buy another engine(was looking at a peak26)then they will take the shipping price of sending it back off the price of the 26.i dont know if i want another engine yetwhat do you guys think,a peak26 or the spe26?or should i try some thicker gasket under the barrel
Old 09-27-2007, 03:32 AM
Craig 01

If your not inclined to strip the cylinder/head from the crankcase,(And you shouldn't have to on a new engine)and inspect as to why the piston contacts the head,I would take up the offer from XJet to try and get something sorted for you.Otherwise,inspect engine as to why crank wont turn 360 degrees unrestricted.First inspect cylinder wall is same diameter to squish band at head-(no step)where ring or piston may be contacting.There may be a raised arrow on piston crown which indicates exhaust side,this could be contacting cylinder head also check for raised casting irregularities at squish band area If all these things look ok place cylinder back on engine without gasket and remembering to make sure rings are aligned with locator pins in piston and carefully compress rings into cylinder as it is assembled.Without tightening cylinder base bolts and left quite a few turns loose,rotate crank to top dead centre and with piston contacting head measure the area with feeler gauges as accurately as possible between case and cylinder keeping both mating surfaces parallel.This measurement plus .020-.030 thou approx.added and not less than the lower figure is what your cylinder base gasket should measure.This is a start to sorting the problem.What measurements do you get?
Old 09-27-2007, 03:45 AM
bjnginge

Thanks for the info craig.im still trying to get a replacement first as i dont think you should have to mod a brand new engine.i will see what happens first with peak and go from there
Old 09-27-2007, 03:52 AM
Craig 01

No worries mate.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:35 AM
rgoldy

Peak woes reply...
Bought a 72" or so Edge (ya-it was cheap, what do you expect). 1st flight couple quick laps and brought it down to check major connections. 2nd flight about 1 min into it the wings go into harmonics and the plane disingrates in the air. Cost of the plane was one thing but it destroyed the switches, new batteries, engine, servos. Response was "we will consider that on future designs". And it wasn't even going fast!
Did I learn-no...
Bought an SPE40 and all the motor mounts failed after about 20 of flying (while in the air-still flyable with the engine hanging by the spark plug wire. Knocked a hole in the bottom of the plane). They started by saying I needed to contact the mfg (yea, right). After sending many pics by email they finally said they would replace it. After waiting several weeks and not getting anything I emailed again and now they want me to send the old engine back. $40 postage and 3 weeks later, I finally get the replacement (which was promptly sold at a loss). No offers whatsoever for postage reimbursement.
And here is something else that bugs me that probably should be another forum but how to they get away with importing these labeled as Toys and as Gifts and getting around customs fees?
Still looking for US agent to buy Hawk props from.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:44 AM
3d-aholic
My Feedback: (7)

I try and warn people about this....sorry you got bottle topped.

I would just send it back and ask for all of money back including the original shipping amount....just tell them your done. Then go by a nice B60 or MVVS58. Chauk it up to experience.....you'll only be out the shipping amount and you can just cut your losses right away. Otherwise, you may find yourself just continuing to throw money at it and constantly kicking yourself for digging yourself deeper.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:56 AM
rgoldy

That's basically what I have done. Chucked it all and moved on. If you want an SPE, go for it (the one I had ran pretty good until it broke apart) but at least get it from a US dealer that you can call up and rag on and shipping is cheaper. Wound up doing a Giant Big Stik w/ a CRRC Pro45 (Western Hobbies)-should have done that from the start, would have been a lot cheaper summer.
But-don't get me started on Wild Hare or Spektrum either....
Staying away from foreign suppliers and saving money!!
Old 09-30-2007, 04:16 AM
bjnginge

Update on the spe40.Way from peakmodel has been very good.He has answered my problems quickly they are sending me out another spe40 and are going to cover the cost of transport as well.I think this is great as most companies would not do that.thanks peakmodel.
Old 09-30-2007, 06:32 AM
davo580

should have brought a zenoah or a da