Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

OS 91 DF with no Needle Valve??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

OS 91 DF with no Needle Valve??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 04:41 PM
para_racer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 91 DF with no Needle Valve??

I have an OS 91 V-DF engine without a needle valve adjustment. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this is normal or not? Do I need to buy a new carb with a needle value?? Thanks, Wade
Old 03-23-2003, 04:46 PM
para_racer

Default Here is a pic

Picture of my engine carb.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	65091_24581.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	39951  
Old 03-23-2003, 04:55 PM
PR38

Yes, that is normal...somewhat. OS knows that you're probably not going to be able to get to the carb once installed in all that ducting, so they block the normal position and give you a remote needle valve assembly. Did you buy the engine new?
There are a couple of really good remote needle valve assemblies out there, and with the help of a servo, you can run the engine lean for takeoff power, then richen once in flight. The JMP remote mixture adjustment ($40) seems to be the popular one.
http://www.jetmodelproducts.com/dynamax.htm
Keep the carb you have, you just need the valve.
Old 03-23-2003, 05:00 PM
para_racer

Default It's a used one I got with my A-4

I bought a complete (or I thought complete) setup that was partially built. This is my first jet and I'm learning a lot. The person that sold it to me didn't include a remote needle valve. So I just need to buy one of those and add it to the engine? Then tune as usual? Thanks, Wade
Old 03-23-2003, 08:16 PM
PR38

Yup. The needle valve just meters the amount of fuel allowed to pass into the venturi port--it doesn't really matter if its on the carb or set upline somewhere.
There are probably several people out there that have the OS remote needle valve if you don't want to get the one from JMP (I understand BVM has a nice one too), since, when you buy one, the OS valve is not necessary. I would encourage you to get one of the nice ones though, becuase in many setups, you don't have enough travel with the OS valve to properly meter the mixture in flight.
Then again, some people don't even use in-flight misture--just set it and fly. If it works, fine. But if not, is it worth it? Jets glide like rocks.
Old 03-24-2003, 09:40 PM
JimBrown
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: It's a used one I got with my A-4

Originally posted by para_racer
I bought a complete (or I thought complete) setup that was partially built. This is my first jet and I'm learning a lot. The person that sold it to me didn't include a remote needle valve. So I just need to buy one of those and add it to the engine? Then tune as usual? Thanks, Wade
From the quote above, I feel that you think you still need to mount the needle valve to the engine. If that is the case, please note that the what you have now is the setup for a "remote" needle valve that is NOT mounted to the engine. The remote needle valve is mounted outside the ducting in a place that is convenient for adjustments, instead of inside the ducting with the engine. Fuel tubing is run from the header tank (if you have one) or the main tanks to the remote needle valve, and then from the remote needle valve to the nipple on the carb. All that is needed is a small hole in the side of the ducting to pass the fuel tubing through. (Use a rubber grommet with in inside diameter that fits the fuel tubing at the point it goes through the ducting.)

Regards,
...jim
Old 03-24-2003, 11:36 PM
Turbulence
My Feedback: (76)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Needle

Wade, adjustable in flight or NOT, this will clear things up a bit for you. This is a Dynamax Fan, O.S. 91 and a BVM in-flight mixture control. More pictures can be found on our club FAQ section under engine and fan mounting:

http://www.crcja.org/faq

Turbulence
Old 03-25-2003, 01:55 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default In-Flight Mixture

Wade,
Not sure which plane this is for, but most DF's use inflight mixture. For that you should get either the BVM or JMP. I have both and prefer the BVM ($42).

If you are not going to use in-flight mixture I have a new OS remote needle valve I'll sell you for $20 shipped. This will allow you to adjust the mixture remotely on the ground, but isn't the best if you need to hook it to a servo for in-flight control.

Joe