Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Reversing Y with differential nightmare...

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Reversing Y with differential nightmare...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 10:57 PM
fellers
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reversing Y with differential nightmare...

I put the exert electronics reversing Y harness with a diffential control on it on my seagull edge 540. The problem i am having is the elevator will nnot stay even. One side; always the same side(right) will move off of center. Once I shut the whole system down and turn it back on it will be off and I have to turn the little potentiometer to center it again. Why is this happening and how do I fix it?
I have the same harness on my 31% edge 540T and it works great....
Old 11-18-2007, 12:10 AM
YNOT

Default RE: Reversing Y with differential nightmare...

Have tried swapping the other reverser??? If it works fine, then its the reverser. If not...............................It could be the servo, the Rx, the Tx, the programming, sub trim, trim, expo, d/r, length of control rod is a 1/4 turn too much, too short, ATV or something complicated. Been there done that.

Any chance you can do it in the radio and not use the reverser? Use a matchbox?
Old 11-18-2007, 08:07 AM
fellers

ORIGINAL: YNOT

Have tried swapping the other reverser??? If it works fine, then its the reverser. If not...............................It could be the servo, the Rx, the Tx, the programming, sub trim, trim, expo, d/r, length of control rod is a 1/4 turn too much, too short, ATV or something complicated. Been there done that.

Any chance you can do it in the radio and not use the reverser? Use a matchbox?
There is a way in the radio I just can't figure out how to do it. I have the new JR X9303 2.4GHZ radio.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:05 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Good heavens, ditch the Y-harness and use the X9303's functions for your dual elevator servos!!!!!

Just follow the step by step instructions in your manual and that should be sufficient information to get you going. You can also check out these articles on setting up the XP9303, which has almost identical programming but slightly different wording, for some more information;

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Articles...ArticleID=1429

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Articles...ArticleID=1430

You'll also find some additional information on this page if you scroll down to the "Manuals" section.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=JRP9248

Just take your time and it'll surprise you how easy it is to setup once you become more familiar with the radio's features....
Old 11-18-2007, 12:41 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I agree with Zeeb. Throw that piece of sh*t away. Most people that ask about them don't have a radio that will drive both servos. You have more than enough radio. Why ask for trouble using the reverse Y.

David
Old 11-19-2007, 11:09 AM
HUNTERANDJEFF

I am having a similar problem but I have a Futaba 7cap. I a building a CG ultimate and I have the elevator servos in the tail. I have never had this setup before. I looked on Futaba's website and it said that I cannot use two channels for my elevator on my radio system so am I forced to use a Reverse Y connector? In order to use two channels for my elevators, they said that I had to purchase something to plug into my radio to make it work. I cannot remember what this thing is. Any ideas???????
Jeff
Old 11-19-2007, 11:44 PM
fellers

Well I threw that piece of sheet away. My radio is amazing!!! Spent a couple hours with the manual and it is much better and much much easier to use the dual elevator function. I program whatever I want to whatever channell I want. This radio can do just about anything anyone could need. I need to learn to how to ut the use the capabilities of it.
HUNTER, You need to mate a secondary channel such as gear or aux 2 to your elevator. In one of your your menus I am pretty sure you can. I use to have that radio a few years ago but switched to JR due to their very easy to use programing. IMO
Old 11-20-2007, 10:51 AM
HUNTERANDJEFF

well, I acually can use 2 different channels on one control surface but when I trim the elevators to adjust flight, only one control surface moves. That is the problem with the 7 cap. The 9 cap is fully capable and that is why I am purchasing a used 9 cap reciever!!!
Jeff
Old 11-20-2007, 11:22 AM
Zeeb

Just purchasing a 9 channel rx will not solve your problem as the problem is being caused by inadequacies of the tx. In fact, even if you have the 9C tx, it won't do dual elevator servos with your 7 channel rx as the default mix for that uses channels #2 and #8, so the 7 channel rx won't play with the 9C's dual elevator programming. Then you get into the latency issue because of that channel spread...[]

Some people choose reversing Y-harnesses to take care of the problem, but those have their own set of issues and I would not use them on my models. If you really want to retain the 7 channel tx, the best solution is to use a Matchbox (JR or Futaba calls it an MSA-10) as they have independant servo adjustments for reversing, centering and travel limits.

But those are about $60 a pop...

If you in any way anticipate continuing on with bigger models that use dual elevator servos, consdering your options, I'd suggest that it's time to start considering a new radio.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:23 AM
brad-a

Purchasing a 9 cap reciever is not going to solve the trim problems. It is in the transmitter programming where you are limited.

Zeeb beat me to it
Old 11-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Jeff - here's the little add-on goodie you need to make it work:
http://www.servocity.com/html/9ca_super_systems.html

Mine's due in tomorrow.....
Old 11-20-2007, 11:57 AM
Deadeye

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: fellers
HUNTER, You need to mate a secondary channel such as gear or aux 2 to your elevator. In one of your your menus I am pretty sure you can. I use to have that radio a few years ago but switched to JR due to their very easy to use programing. IMO
Negative. The 7Cap has no dual elevator servo options. If you do manage to slave a channel, the trim will only work for one half. Big time complaint for a lot of folks with this radio.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:04 PM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Zeeb you can use a 7ch RX on the 9C to drive two servos. You can not use the pre-programed function which is maybe what you were saying. You can use CH-5 for you second servo with no ill effects. It only takes one mix.

David
Old 11-20-2007, 03:31 PM
HUNTERANDJEFF

Oh, Guys I screwed up - I meant to say 9c TRANSMITTER!!! It was way too early in the morning when I wrote that last post. Sorry. I heard about a guy at our club that is selling all of his stuff and he had a Dave Patrick extra 330L for sale with the 9c radio, gasser engine, PCM rx EVERYTHING and it is in great shape for 1200 bucks. So I went to the club yesterday and watched it fly - WOW! what a performer - just what I was looking for. So, it is at my home now.
Zeeb, thank you, an msa - 10 is what they were talking about and that is what I need if I want to use the 7cap.
Teach, that is the radio that came with the plane I bought. I couldn't afford it but it was the deal of the century and I couldn't pass it up.
Are those 9c transmitters hard to program? My 7cap was untill I half ***** figured it out!!!

Jeff
Old 11-20-2007, 04:06 PM
hrrcflyer

Hunterandjeff,

The programming of the 9C is about as easy as it gets. It is very similar to that of the 7C. So, if you can program the 7C, you should be home free.
Old 11-20-2007, 06:29 PM
fellers

There are plenty of great books out on how to fully utilize the 9C tx's capabilities.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:12 AM
Ferocious Frankie
My Feedback: (7)

The ew 2.4 GHz 7C has twin elevator capability. I guess they really do listen to us don't they!

http://www.towerhobbies.com/rcwnews/...-futk7000.html
Old 11-21-2007, 10:18 AM
Zeeb

ORIGINAL: daveopam

Zeeb you can use a 7ch RX on the 9C to drive two servos. You can not use the pre-programed function which is maybe what you were saying. You can use CH-5 for you second servo with no ill effects. It only takes one mix.

David
Well it's been too long since I played with a 9C Super as I kept it for a backup to a 9ZAP WC2 which uses channel #5 for the second elevator servo in it's pre-programmed mix, and I've since sold both radios so I can't go check it. But it was my understanding that unless you use the pre-programmed mix, there was no trim following for the slaved channel?

As for the new 7 channel FASST, yeah the news release says it supports dual elevator servos but that's a change from everything else that's been published so far. Everything else I've seen published indicated it would have the same programming as the regular 7C.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:28 AM
HUNTERANDJEFF

Thanks alot you guys for the info. RC universe is a wealth of information and it is part of the reason (and computers) that this hobby has grown so much in the last 10 years or so.
Where did you read that Futaba came out with the 7 channel FASST? I haven't seen that yet.

Jeff
Old 11-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Zeeb

There is a link in that reply from Frankie, post #17. That news release from Tower says it supports the dual elevator servos, but I can't find any reference to that on Futaba's site, the FASST site, or elsewhere.

That radio has been in the works for some time, but the delivery date keeps getting pushed back. Right now they're saying sometime next month.