Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

Top Flight DC 3

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 02:42 AM
Walter D
My Feedback: (16)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Top Flight DC 3

I've flown quite a few twins (never a DC 3 though), and on every one of them, I've found out that it was much easier to turn toward the dead engine, and my thinking tells me why this is:

1) When one engine quits, the airplane will automatically start a gradual turn toward the dead engine.

2) As the airplane is already on a bank, lowering the other engine to about half throttle the turn is very easy to maintain.

3) Opposite rudder input to the dead engine, should keep the airplane flying straight and level, a slight pressure on ailerons can make a difference on some models also.

4) If trying to turn toward the good engine, more rudder and aileron deflection is necessary, thus contributing to a faster loss of airspeed, which could result in a stall and spin, and the DC3 is very good at doing that.

5) By all means, once you have the airplane trimmed out and are sure of its gliding capabilities (and if you are gutsy like me), put less fuel on one engine first, go up, and see how it behaves when the engine quits, of course, be way up there; try this with both engines, learning this will eventually save your airplane some time, it has served me well.

6) When one engine quits, lower the other one to half, and do not try to gain altitude abruptly, you will be asking for disaster, specially if you have a tail wind.

7) Always start your take off run so as to have as much runway ahead of you as possible, if engine quits, immediately lower the other one and land, in many instances is a better idea not to lower the gear at such a moment.

8) Have flaps, a little tad of flap deployment can help you get a longer glide, when both engines are shut down, or one is at least at idle or slightly above. For sure no more than 10 % deployment.

9) The .46's will easily overpower this airplane, even .40's can be a little too much, the best combinations I've seen fly (I'm talking about the Royal kit) was with .35's.
Old 04-06-2003, 02:56 AM
warbirdz1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DC-3/C-47.....

Bill R.........Seeing that I'm an old "Piedmont" mechanic myself....I have a couple of pictures that might interest you as well as others....seeing we're on the "Topic" of twins and DC-3's in particular...........Bill.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	68456_12465.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	41231  
Old 04-06-2003, 10:01 PM
dc3capt

Default Top Flight DC 3

DC-3's came with 1830 P&W twin row 14 cyl 1200 to 1350 hp engines. They also came with 1820 single row Wright Cyclone's of 900 to 1525 hp. Both engines depending on the dash numbers had two speed blowers. The 1820-76D has more hp than the R-2000. You can tell a Wright from a P&W by the cowl, I can tell by vibration, the Wrights shake so bad that if it was a P&W I would shut it down. The 3 is still used world wide. A recent Cuban skyjack was in a scheduled DC-3 airliner. Bob Metz
Old 04-07-2003, 01:46 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Top Flight DC 3

The one we just got has pratts. It was purchased for a museum here. We had it flown in by the people we bought it from. They are planning on flying it and I will probably just fly co-pilot on it. I can't see the sense of getting typed in it for the little flying that will be done. Maybe eventually if they fly it more. I can't see them flying it much. They really can't afford to own it much less fly it. The forest service here as a turbin DC-3. Cool plane. I haven't flown that one. Would be a blast. They put those mods on in Fl where I went to flight school. Used to walk around the DC-3s all the time. Had an old Connie sitting at the field too. Pretty neat place.
Old 04-09-2003, 03:27 PM
Johng
My Feedback: (4)

Default Top Flight DC 3

Jumped out of a DC-3 many times. Actually stood with a hand on each pilot's chair for takeoff once. Quite an experience. amazing how much aileron input was needed just to keep wings level in tubulence.

About the pic: at the world freefall convention a couple years ago. The DC-3, named "Mr. Douglas" had all the windows tinted blue, a stereo system throughout the back end, and folding bench seats along the sides. Still had Pan-am seat-belt buckles. The door is open in the picture 'cause it was August, although there is a clear plexi roll-up door on the rails that run up onto the ceiling. That's me on the right side.

The owner sold this plane shortly after that - maybe the best skydiving -3 ever.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	69388_2790.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	41234  
Old 04-09-2003, 09:02 PM
rusgmil
My Feedback: (1)

Default Top Flight DC 3

Mr Douglas was a great jump plane. Got a few skydives out of it myself. Flew the "Turkey" meet at Z'hills in the 80s and done a lot of formation flying with Mr Douglas.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:36 AM
dc3capt

Default Top Flight DC 3

Some of you guys would reconize my 3 the Southern Cross that was used for skydiving. It has the highest hp engines that were ever installed on a 3, 1475. I traded a C-45 for it. Still don't know what I'm going to do with it. Bob