Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.

DH Hornet Book

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 04:16 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default DH Hornet Book

I am trying to locate a copy of WARPAINT SERIES No. 19, a great profile on the de Havilland Hornet and Sea Hornet.

Unfortunately I am about 2 years too late on my search as it's out of print!

I'm hoping someone has a copy they are either willing to sell, or perhaps even send me so I can make a copy and send it back. I will pay all expenses and perhaps can offer some similar information I have on a project you may be interested in??

Any of these Warpaint series books are a 'must have' and if you've seen them you'll know what I mean.

THANKS TO ANYONE WHO CAN ASSIST!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	68107_10306.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	41371  
Old 04-04-2003, 08:47 PM
smchale

Default DH Hornet Book

OK, while I still haven't got any leads on the book above, a trip to my LHS today at lunch time yielded another great book! I'll attach a picture of the cover and link:
http://www.discountmodels.com/sam.htm
It's got some great color 3-views of the aircraft, including, mustang, spitfire, mosquito, vampire, meteor, tempest...and Hornet!! 94 pages, lots of color!

Name:	68155_10306.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	41372  
Old 04-05-2003, 03:49 AM
Lake Flyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DH Hornet Book

Sean Go to www.abebooks.com or www.dogbert.abe.com . Click on advanced search. You should have no trouble finding what you want. I'm not sure you may have to set up an account with them first, but I have ordered through them many times and never had a problem. Good luck.
Dave
Old 04-05-2003, 03:57 AM
SteveD-RCU
My Feedback: (2)

Default DH Hornet Book

Hi Sean; You might check out Scale Aviation Modeller International-October 2002.It has a story on the Hornet that includes 15 colour profiles,3 view drawings including fuse cross sections on the Mk 1 and Mk 3 versions.
They have a website www.sampublications.com
Good luck...SteveD
ps: click on the Scale Aviation modeller icon then click on back issues then look for volume 8 issue 10
Old 04-07-2003, 11:54 AM
smchale

Default DH Hornet Book

Thanks for the input guys! Dave I couldn't find this book listed on that link. Steve, I ordered the magazine on the weekend. I think my search is over as I have a lead now.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:37 PM
Kickin Chicken

Default DH Hornet Book

Hi Smchale,

Looks like I'm alittle late helping you, but anyways, I built a 108" wing 1/5 scale DH Sea Hornet last year from a American Eagle kit.
The book you are looking for I got from:

Aeroplane Books
e-mail: [email protected]
websire www.aeroplanebooks.com
order line (800) 44-8890

If I can help you and further give a Howler, I'm in the Airmasters Model Airplane Club in South Georgia.
www.geocities.com/clubamac222

Charlie Evans

Name:	69171_724.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	41373  
Old 04-08-2003, 09:37 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Sea Hornet

Charlie,
To save having to respond too many times fill us in on the particulars on your lovely bird.
Sparky
Old 04-09-2003, 11:24 AM
smchale

Default DH Hornet Book

Charlie,
Thanks for your reply! I certainly will ask you some questions as they arise i'm sure. I scanned in some 3-views the other day and am currently working on transfering them to CAD for the general outline. Still haven't quite nailed down a size yet, but figure that something like a common spinner size will be one of the key factors. As Sparky suggests, could you share some of the details about your a/c? Retracts? Engines? tanks? etc...and anything you don't like about the kit you built and items would change if you you did another one. What was your final weight before fuel?
Thanks again for sharing! Your plane looks great! I saw pics of it posted on another form and website.
Old 04-09-2003, 04:09 PM
Kickin Chicken

Default DH Hornet BookHi Smchale

Hi Sean,
My Hornet was a "first" giant scale for me, I've built other smaller planes but never one like this "one", I started out with American Eagle kit, which as most know is just a glass shell with foam wing/tail feathers cores and some pretty good 3 view drawings, other models has way more info in the kits.
I have to give alot of credit to Dan Stevens for helping me as he was building a 20 ft. B-29 for Mac Hodges during this time also, I was mainly learning by helping him.
To do over, I could probably save at least $2K on materials, paint system and such. I would have used simple control hookups rather than building everything inside, which later I had to come back out side with anyways:

Spec's 1/5 Scale
108" wing
84" fuselage
Robart wheels/retracts
Dave Brown spinners
Zinger custom 4 blade 20/8 props/hubs
ZDZ 60's engines
Krylon Camouflage paint
50 oz. center fuel tank
40 lbs. dry

Charlie Evans

Name:	69400_724.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	41374  
Old 04-09-2003, 04:59 PM
smchale

Default DH Hornet Book

Charlie,
Your efforts have created one beautiful aircraft! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and details. Couple more questions:
1. Did you find that the two nacells were symetric and identical? From what I can see they really appear to be the same.
2. What size Dave Brown spinners did you use? Are they the parabolic ones? (I'm guessing 5.5" dia)
3. Did Robart make as specific set for this aircraft or did you have to modify them to suit the scale angle, etc?
Thanks!!
Old 04-10-2003, 03:55 PM
Kickin Chicken

Default DH Hornet Book

Hi Sean,

1 - Nacelles are the same but were marked L/H & R/H, cutout lines were marked for a very good fit.

2 - I called Dave Brown about the 5.5" spinners and was able to talk to the machinist that made them, I sent him pictures and such as to what I needed, everything was "Super".

3 - Same great luck with the retracts, called and talked to Bob Walker "Mr. Robart", he in turn called Bob Neider at American Eagle and built what was needed and I only had to install them with no fuss, still can't get over it, such "great help" from everyone, had to be my day!

Name:	69666_724.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	41375  
Old 04-10-2003, 04:03 PM
Kickin Chicken

Default DH Hornet Book

Hi Sean,

Here a shot of the spinners, can't load but one pic at a time.

While I built my Hornet I did a picture story on it plus building Mac's B-29, both were over 150 pictures each, this was done last year on our web site.

www.geocities.com/clubamac222

Charlie

Name:	69668_724.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	41376