Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

duratrax charge question????

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 12:56 AM
jonnymobil

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default duratrax charge question????

i have a duratrax intelipeak charger.the little one ac/dc charger.on the front it says it can charge nicd up to 6.5 amps but it only goes up to 3 amps for nimh?why is that?is it because it is harder to charge nimh or is it because most nimh batteries are recomend to charge at 3 amps or less?my packs say they can be charged at up to 8 amps.is it o.k. to do that with my charger?or maybe it says only go 3 amps because nimh creat more heat within the charger?is it a heat issue with the charger?like if i could keep my charger cool could i charge at more than 3 amps?is there annything i can do to charge my nimh on this charger at more than 3 amps?has annyone tried it?i notice the fullsize version of my charger goes to 6 amps as well for nimh just like nicd.and it has a cooling fan in the back.if i put a cooling fan on mine could i charge at 6 amps?

i just dont understadn how it is safe to use my charger to charge a nicd at 6 amps but i can only goto 3 for numh?i dont want to ruin my charger but if i can use it for 6 amps i wont have to buy annother charger.anny help would be much appreciated.i know alot of you have theese chargers so let me know the deal.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:40 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: duratrax charge question????

The charger cannot tell the difference between the two types of batteries. I think perhaps when it was marketed a nicad was 2400 and a nimh was 3000 and they may not have wanted it running more than 3 amps for over 2400 mah. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I use 6.5 amps a lot on AC power. The charger seems to shut off early a lot (more so at higher currents and on AC power)

I know that's not much of an answer, []
Old 11-02-2007, 05:56 PM
s7jstep1

my pirahana charger will only charge at 5 amps when on a dc power source otherwise its 3 amps. maybe yours is the same
Old 11-02-2007, 06:04 PM
Dawman
My Feedback: (33)

Those chargers came out when NIMH became popular . Also to achieve 6.5 amps you have to be hooked up to a dc power supply and will only charge at 3 amps when hooked up to 120volts ac . All Intellipeak chargers are like this except for the Ice of course .
Old 11-02-2007, 11:05 PM
jonnymobil

ok thanks bro.so if will ti work if i buy a dc power source?does the charger think its getting dc current?
Old 11-03-2007, 04:18 PM
guver

You might be confusing the intellipeaks with the digital piranha. The digital piranha is the one that needs dc power to charge over 3 amps.

The digital pulse , deluxe pulse will do 6.5 amps on ac power, the mini-pulse will do 4.5 amps on ac, and the regular pulse will do 6.5 on ac power, but the front face and the manual states a 3 amp max.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:24 PM
Dawman

ORIGINAL: guver

You might be confusing the intellipeaks with the digital piranha. The digital piranha is the one that needs dc power to charge over 3 amps.

The digital pulse , deluxe pulse will do 6.5 amps on ac power, the mini-pulse will do 4.5 amps on ac, and the regular pulse will do 6.5 on ac power, but the front face and the manual states a 3 amp max.

Well ok then , with the exception of the deluxe pulse , ICE and digital pulse . I knew the digital pulse did as I had one , wasn`t paying attention i guess .
Old 11-03-2007, 04:36 PM
guver

They all have the same power supply included (deluxe, mini,digital) and are also called intellipeaks.

I've seen a lot of people confuce the digital piranha, peak piranha, dc peak piranha, dc peak, and the piranha too.

Now I thinnk I'm confused. [:-]
Old 11-04-2007, 04:44 AM
jonnymobil

well i have been charging the nimh at arround 4 to 5 amps and it seems to charge really fast.only thing is is too fast.it charges in like 1/2 the time as 3 amps or less.sometimes the battery is a little warm as well.not hot but warm ,probly 100 or so.is that bad?and should i stop charging at 4 to 5 amps?seems the thing to do would be to just buy a bunch of used chargers on ebay and line em all up in a row.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:38 AM
guver

As long as the battery doesn't get too hot then it is ok. I'm not recommending this, but I've always charged at a rate that is far faster than the recommended rate because I do not like switching batts. I pretty much leave the battery in model all the time (not recommended either) and when it cools down I can charge it up again.

The best, fastest,coolest charge I've seen is to charge at a very fast rate at the start and can continue to well over half of the capacity, but then the heat starts and the rate needs to be tapered to keep the battery cool. An ice charger with a 4-step routine allows the battery to be step charged like this and will give a very fast charge, yet still keep it cool. There's also a few ultra fast chargers with battery cooling, but I've not played with them.

it is all playing , right?
Old 11-12-2007, 12:54 AM
jonnymobil

well would it be wise if i had the time and it was no extra work on my art to place my batyteries in the fridge to cool em off before i charge em or after i use em?as far as the temp goes i think it will really help.get metal cold and it stays that way for w while.will there be anny performance increase?will something et all screwed up?i would really like to throw em in the fridge to cool em off but i dont want to ruin my batteries.and i think i remember my crazy old uncle telling folks there batteries would last longer if you keep em in the freezed?
Old 11-12-2007, 04:27 AM
Dawman

Not with Nimh batteries .
Old 11-13-2007, 03:41 AM
jonnymobil

will cooling them off in the firge cause damage to mybatteries?see i am going to try to assemble my own packs here soon and i know that the battery cells cant get hot or they might get ruined.i figured i would take me out of the firdge then soder em so thy would stay cooler and ave less chance to overheat.you kow give myself some leeway with the soder gun since it will be my first time.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:29 AM
Dawman

If you use the proper size solder iron/gun you won`t have to worry about getting the cells too hot . Do not put them in the freezer as it can damage them . If you pre tin the cells you won`t have a problem .
Old 12-09-2007, 03:24 AM
jonnymobil

what about the fridge?i eam if the frige screws em up then using them in montana would screw them up.i mean 40 degreese is 40 degreese?so does the fridge help or hurt your batteries.