Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Hitec/JR Servos more popular than Futaba?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Hitec/JR Servos more popular than Futaba?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 06:28 AM
drewbags

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec/JR Servos more popular than Futaba?

Having trawled through various forums and threads, it seems that more guys are using Hitec 5955s and JR 8711s than Futabas new 9156; is there a reason for this? I know that the JR is a strong servo but there are concerns on slop but there doesn't seem to be much feedback on the futaba.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:06 AM
bofrcr

Default RE: Hitec/JR Servos more popular than Futaba?

aside from all the technical foo-farra,, it's a money thing too. Compare price! Funny thing is,, years ago,,it was unthinkable,,to run servo's of another brand from the radio! how times change! I've wondered,,if these servo's aren't all made in the same place? Look at different "brands",,disassembled once,, makes ya wonder,, just my 2 cents
Old 12-08-2007, 07:25 AM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hitec 5955's titanium gear virtually eliminates the need to replace gears down the road. Another plus. In this business, price-performance ratio and cost to own are critical.

Futaba's radios and receivers are still the best.

PS. Control arms for Futaba and Hitec are not interchangable.
Old 12-08-2007, 07:55 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The servo manufacturer imbalance has nothing to do with the quality. Futaba is one of (if not the number one) the highest quality robotics manufacturers in the world. It's only about who's doing the most advertising. You don't see many Airtronics products for the same reason. They don't have a large advertising budget devoted to the general r/c market. You'll find the same imbalance with any product line. Those that spend the most in advertising have the highest sales volumes. Those that don't have fewer sales.

That's why some super great gas engines and airplane kits are no longer on the market. They could not afford to compete in the advertising race even though the product quality was as high or higher than most on the market. You don't really think those brand name tennis shoes are worth over $100.00 a pair do you? They're just recovering the cost of their advertising in the price of each pair sold. Before they started with sponsoring and heavy advetising you could buy them in K-Mart for $3.00-$5.00 a pair on the Blue Light Special tables. Been a few years since then....
Old 12-08-2007, 09:38 AM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think that advertisement has really helped JR gett their product sold. They were the first to really sponsor the big name 3D pilots and they handed out a lot of stickers, coozies, neck straps, etc... I don't know if I'd say there are more people using JR servos, or radios, but they have deffinitely done a good job in marketing.

As far as which are better, there are good Futaba, JR, and Hitec. Each has their own advantage in price and specs. I use all three brands as well as Hobbico, Tower, and some junk china servos but I use them when the application calls for them.
Old 12-08-2007, 10:00 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

In the US, I think JR service is one of the key factors. Horizon takes care of the customer with there 3 year warranty.

But I will say that futaba servos don't seem to have the gear wear or pot problems that I have seen in JR servos. The 9152 servo gears just don't go bad. 9156 servo hasn't been on the market long enough since its reissue.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:37 PM
drewbags

It is interesting how the price differential between them varies around the world. Here in the UK, where everything is expensive, the Futabas and JRs are more expensive than the Hitecs. I know in Asia there is little difference between the price of the 8711, 5955 and 9156, , just a few dollars.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:48 PM
martinarcher
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: evan-RCU

I think that advertisement has really helped JR gett their product sold. They were the first to really sponsor the big name 3D pilots and they handed out a lot of stickers, coozies, neck straps, etc... I don't know if I'd say there are more people using JR servos, or radios, but they have deffinitely done a good job in marketing.

As far as which are better, there are good Futaba, JR, and Hitec. Each has their own advantage in price and specs. I use all three brands as well as Hobbico, Tower, and some junk china servos but I use them when the application calls for them.

I agree - you throw your companies big ole' sticker on the wing of Chip Hyde, Quique Somenzini, ect's plane and you will sell a few products. Seeing in believing and if people see their planes do something spectacular they will give them a shot.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:57 PM
SitNFly
My Feedback: (54)

Futaba servos are excellent products. I'd buy a lot more if I didn't have to sand that stinkin' key off the connector.....
Old 12-08-2007, 01:41 PM
R.C. ROB

Its the programability of the Hi tec. One of the better ways to go when ganging servos. the titamium gear has also been no maintance and almost no slop.
Old 12-09-2007, 10:01 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: drewbags

It is interesting how the price differential between them varies around the world. Here in the UK, where everything is expensive, the Futabas and JRs are more expensive than the Hitecs. I know in Asia there is little difference between the price of the 8711, 5955 and 9156, , just a few dollars.
drewbags is right, in the UK you can't get a discount on Futaba servo's its actually cheaper to import Hitec 5955's from the US than it is to buy in the UK, we generally pay double what you do in the US, Hitec 5955 @ £72.00 in the UK, 85$ in the US which = £42.50 even with VAT is under £50.00, I buy them in bulk with lots of other bits we can't get over here.

That's the reason Hitec are more popular in the UK, but Futaba radios dominate over here.

Mike