Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Data logger numbers on R921RX ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 11:27 AM
DCGayhart
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Data logger numbers on R921RX ?

I’m helping as friend who just upgraded to a JR 9303 2.4. He has the R921 RX with two remotes and data logger. The numbers from the data logger IMO are good.
Range testing per the manual resulted in no fades, frame-losses or holds. During flight tests, we are seeing fades from antenna’s A&B in the low 30’s to mid 40’s per 8 min flight. Antenna’s L&R are much lower; L being the best with fades as low as four per flight.

My question is we are seeing frame losses in the 10 to 15 range per flight with no holds, which is well within the guidelines. The manual states, “Frame loss—represents simultaneous antenna fades on all attached receivers”.

The frame-loss numbers are always lower than the fades on antenna A&B but shouldn’t the frame-loss be lower than the lowest antennas fade number, or don’t the L&R remotes count?

Danny
Old 12-05-2007, 09:55 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Data logger numbers on R921RX ?

The numbers you are getting sound good. It sounds like the frame loss number you are seeing is an erroneous value if that is the case. The fades are all well within tolerance.
Old 12-05-2007, 12:39 PM
DCGayhart

Danny, Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions, that’s one of the reasons I changed to JR equipment.

I am having a hard time believing we are getting erroneous data on every flight unless there is a software issue with the data logger or R921 RX.
The flight data we get is very consistent in that the frame losses are always higher than the lowest number of antenna fades on the L or R remotes. Without knowing the architectural design specs on the RX, given the data I see my guess is that the frame loss figure is calculated from simultaneous fades on the main receivers A & B antenna’s only or a combination of any of the antennas that experience simultaneous fades that affect both RF channels.

Now I wonder what the fade data from the L&R represent. Is the number of fades on the R or L remotes a combination of the two selected 2.4 RF channels or does the L remote monitor one RF channel and the R remote the other channel? If the remotes monitor both selected channels, why doesn’t the data logger show L/A&B plus R/A&B for fades?

I overhear a Team JR reps say he thinks the data logger is a bad idea. He says “just install the radio per the manual and go fly, it’s too much information” I really appreciate Spektrum’s effort incorporating the data logger option. Given the cost of some of our airships I find it valuable being able to fine-tune your RX installation.

When the JR12X is available I’ll buy every option!

IMHO, there is no such thing as to much information!

Danny
Old 12-05-2007, 01:03 PM
onewasp

If you don't like the numbers MOVE the Rx(s). That is what the Flight Log is all about.

Not the analysis of each number as an entity, inter-related or not.

I have all the Spektrum systems available, have flown the DX7 derivative for a full year; own the Flight Log ---functions with the AR9000 and R921---

Frankly, I agree with the Team JR Rep. you quoted.

After one FULL year I have had not so much as an uncalled for 'wiggle'-------I could care less what the Flight Log indicates--------- repeated perfectly controlled flights beat the numbers every time!

IF you have some problems then perhaps the Flight Log will help. Until then it is "information overload" ( at the very least extraneous) and nothing more.

The Air Force reportedly cut back on Pilot Overload (euphemism for TOO MUCH INFORMATION) beginning with the F-15.

I think we are getting there too.

However, to each his own.
Old 12-05-2007, 01:21 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

DCGayhart,

I live in Goodyear and would be happy to hook up with you at some point and look at the setup. We can play with some stuff I have. I believe the Flight Logger is one of the best things about the Spektrum technology. I use it on all my competition models. In fact it has given me a huge confidence in the system and helps you trouble shoot problems if there are any.

I don't think I would ever fly without the Flight log device considering the time and effort that go into my competition models. I wish the Flight Log would work with all the RX's as I really think its a huge tool to have in your bag.

Shoot me a PM or email and I can give you my phone number. We can get together at some point to look it over and see whats up.

After all I'm close and have a bit of experience with the setup and the system.

Troy Newman
Team JR
Old 12-05-2007, 01:50 PM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the number of frame loss is higher than the number of antenna fades it is an erroneous value. It sounds like the fades numbers are all correct and that the system is operating properly. The flight log is definitely a great aid, if nothing more than for piece of mind.
Old 12-05-2007, 02:56 PM
DCGayhart

As I said, IMO there is no such thing as too much information, only what you can absorb and understand. This post is to help me understand the inconsistencies I see between the flight data I acquired and what the data logger instructions said you should see.

No doubt, the plane flies well at our local field, but gleaning the most from the data will help preparing me in the future to set-up planes that will perform at their peak at a crowded event and may save a life.

Fades>=frame-losses>=holds>=<$$$+<time!

Danny
Old 12-14-2007, 11:45 AM
DCGayhart

If you only have four fades on any particular antenna, how can you have a higher number of frame losses? If the frame loss/fade data is erroneous, how do you correct that? I think these are reasonable questions.

I am impressed with the performance I have seen so far from the 9303 2.4GHZ.